Free Vista and/or Office 2007

James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

Someone alterted me to this site:http://www.powertogether.comAll you have to do is register and watch 3 webcasts per product within 30 days of registering. Offer good through Feb 28th, 2007.Conditions: 1- Must be 18 or over and a US citizen.2 Can NOT be a MS Partner or MSDN member.Want to check it out and provide some feedback here?

Want to check it out and provide some feedback here?
From the website's FAQ:
Why do I have to provide my Social Security Number on a W9 form to receive my gift?The combined retail value for participants who register and qualify for both the Microsoft Office and Windows Vista offer is $798. IRS rules require that any gift over $600 is taxable which requires us to collect W9 information from participants and to file a 1099 with the IRS for the value of both products.
Thanks, but I'll pass.

I'm not going to touch Vista - I've turned into a Mac household, but I will go for Office 2007 as soon as it comes out. There are a few reasons:* Awesome report writing capability* I'll have to teach it in another year or so.* I think it is a great overhaul of a tired program.There are a few things that are hard to find but it has some really nice capabilities. I am still using the beta on my work computer and will be forlorn when I have to revert back when it runs out until the district buys it in another year or two.

From engadget

We've got confirmation from another source inside Microsoft that this is, in fact, the real deal. He also told us that the number of copies of software that Microsoft has available for this offer is in the "five-digit range" (that's somewhere from 10,000 - 100,000).
MS already conned me into giving them a lot of personal information with its free "while supplies last" flash drive scam.

Why do I have to provide my Social Security Number on a W9 form to receive my gift?The combined retail value for participants who register and qualify for both the Microsoft Office and Windows Vista offer is $798. IRS rules require that any gift over $600 is taxable which requires us to collect W9 information from participants and to file a 1099 with the IRS for the value of both products.
In other words, we have to pay federal income taxes to the government based on additional income of $798. If the tax rate is 30%, my free gift has now cost me $239.40. OUCH!!!!-Matt

In other words, we have to pay federal income taxes to the government based on additional income of $798. If the tax rate is 30%, my free gift has now cost me $239.40. OUCH!!!!-Matt
Yup. Game show winners often turn down prizes of merchandise when they realize they have to pay income tax based on the MSRP of the prize.

I thought I look so I clicked on the link.First thing I notice in bold.

We're sorry, there are no more gifts available. There are still plenty of things to explore and to learn about Windows Vista. Enter now to learn more!

James M. Fisher
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/2100-...tml?tag=nl.e019
It sounded like a scam: visit this Web site, watch a few videos and get a free copy of Windows Vista or Office 2007. Actually, the PowerTogether.com site was a legitimate Microsoft-run site. Aimed at software developers and architects, the site offered free copies of both titles to those who watched at least three Web-based seminars on each of the new products. Unfortunately, for those looking to score their free copy, Microsoft said that it has already received sign-ups from the 30,000 people it had hoped to register for the program. The site now says "sold out" when people come to register for the giveaway. Those left out in the cold can take some solace. At least they don't have to pay taxes. Those who are getting both the free Office and Vista copies will have to fill out an IRS tax form--and eventually pay Uncle Sam--to get both titles. "Since the combined retail value of the products is above $600 retail for developers who chose to participate in both offers, the IRS requires Microsoft to have the developers send back a signed W9 form before they receive the second item," a Microsoft representative said. The site also warns government employees that they should consult their ethics policies before accepting the freebies. Microsoft drew the ire of the Army and some other U.S. agencies in 2004 when it sent free copies of Office to federal workers. Microsoft started selling Office 2007 and Vista to businesses this week, however the software won't be on retail shelves and new PCs until January.

James, reading through the responses to your post I have noticed a rather glaring omission in everybody's posts so I will take the time to rectify that right now: Thank You James :) Thank You for posting this link.About two or three years ago Microsoft ran a campaign like this for Visual Basic. NET Standard and my reward for sitting through several on-line videos was a free full version of that same software so deciding to sign up for this was a piece of cake. I had signed up for a copy of Office 2007 within about ten minutes of your post and I debated with myself for the rest of that night on whether I should go for the copy of Vista as well. I finally decided that since it is going to be at least another year before I build a new computer and because the Vista version is not the one I will get it comes time to purchase a new OS (I would like the Ultimate version, not the Business one), I did not sign up for it.For about the same amount of money as I would have spent on the taxes for the second software I will be able to get the version I want anyway. In the mean time I will have free version of the new office so it was a pretty good deal to me.Anyway James, thanks again :devil:

the number of copies of software that Microsoft has available for this offer is in the "five-digit range" (that's somewhere from 10,000 - 100,000).
the 30,000 people it had hoped to register for the program
Let this be a lesson to you all. When dealing with Microsoft, always lowball your expectations. You'll be closer to reality more often than not. :devil:

James M. Fisher
James, reading through the responses to your post I have noticed a rather glaring omission in everybody's posts so I will take the time to rectify that right now: Thank You James :) Thank You for posting this link.
You're most welcome, but I confess that I was alerted to this offer by a member of this forum. o:)

• 2 months later...

I signed up for the free Office 2007 Professional offer so THANKS for posting the link on here James. :w00t: After I completed the required 3 podcasts I got notification that I would receive my copy just after the public release. As stated I got mine on Feb 2nd. I opened the package & there was a MS sleeve but no disc's. :hmm: I was directed to a website to DOWNLOAD the FULL version of Office 2007 Professional. Everything on the sleeve & the website indicated that I was downloading a FULL version of the software. After I did the DL, which was 1 file (407 k +) rather then a folder with files inside, I uninstalled the BETA version I was using & installed the new FULL version. The install went without a hitch & upon a reboot everything worked as advertised. :thumbsup: EXCEPT I could not access or find Business Contact Manager for Outlook. ;) So I spent the next 2 days trying to find out why BCM was not there. I even did a complete OS (XP Home SP2) re-install thinking that I had something in the registry that I could not find that was associating BCM with the BETA version & blocking the install of BCM. :angry: Then on Monday I spent 6 hours searching MS's forums for similar problems & found a few, like mine that could not get BCM to install & all were from the same offer from MS. I finally found a thread that had a solution to the problem. MS DID NOT GIVE US A LINK TO THE BCM DOWNLOAD. & to get BCM one had to sign up for a trial version of the software & then DL the BCM portion from there. After I DL'ed & installed the BCM file (402 k) everything worked :D Now you would think that MS would contact all those folks that received the offer & let them know about the missing BCM & how to get it & possably save everyone some time & effort. I have still not heard from them, & actually I don't expect to. B) :) :( But I do have it working, so I guess you get what you pay for. :w00t:GL & I hope this info will be of some help to othersTowncarman