Networking Lubuntu

DarkSerge

I recently put my old system back together and installed Lubuntu on it. I'm having issues networking it with my Windows 10 machine and thought I could try and solve them.

From my Lubuntu machine, I can access Windows shares on my Network hard drive, however sometimes it takes a few tries after several time out errors. I am unable to access any shares on the Lubuntu machine from Windows.

I've got Samba installed, I've added my username to the samba users list, the samba config file is edited have me in the proper workgroup, I even have the shares set up to allow access to everyone but no matter what I do, when I try to access the Lubuntu machine from Windows, it tells me the username or password is incorrect. I've tried using both my Lubuntu user account and the smbguest account logins. Both systems can see each other on the network. I can see the Windows 10 shares from Lubuntu, but not vice versa.

Any thoughts?

It's not terribly important. This is more for my own knowledge of what to do rather than a need to get it working. I chose Lubuntu because it's an older system, and it seems other distros (Xubuntu which was previously installed, and Zorin OS which I also gave an experimental run) don't support my video card and there are issues when running the onboard video.

I also run Lubuntu on some machines in my house, and I also experience issues with network shares. In Ubuntu with Nautilus/File Manager, it's kinda nice to right click>share folder to create a share; and when you browse the network, you truly can "browse" the network to see what's available and where. Not so in Lubuntu with PCManFM. Not sure if it's an implementation with LXDE/Lubuntu, samba, or PCManFM; but if I "browse" the network with PCManFM, it is hit & miss with network shares (mostly miss). However, if I "go to location" and type in the local network address and shared folder, for example:

"smb://192.168.1.10/jim/home"

PCManFM finds it, and displays it exactly as expected. If you bookmark the location, you can go straight to it, without browsing. Doesn't really solve the problem, but it's a workaround. Alternatively, you could use Gigolo, a GUI that does the same thing:

https://www.unixmen.com/how-to-access-remote-linux-and-windows-shares-with-gigolo/

As for the reverse access (Windows to Lubuntu), I don't have any Windows machines in my house to worry about, but I've read there are similar issues and a similar workaround. Find the address of your Lubuntu machine and perform the same action in the Windows Explorer file manager, creating a shortcut to the Lubuntu machine. More details in this HowToGeek tutorial:

http://www.howtogeek.com/176471/how-to-share-files-between-windows-and-linux/

SB, I'm interested in your take on this matter. This was one of my "bugs" in my MimeticDE remix of Lubuntu that was never resolved, as I chalked it up to an upstream Lubuntu bug moreso than something I introduced. While I have found workarounds to make samba shares work for me (see above), it isn't very graceful or elegant. It would be nice if Lubuntu/PCManFM worked "as expected". Once you see Serge's smb.conf file, please do chime in with your thoughts!

securitybreach

Well the reason I was asking for the smb.conf file is because if you do not have this option enabled, windows will not be able to authenticate samba:

encrypt passwords = yes

Encrypt passwords is set to no. I'll change it and see what happens. If that doesn't do anything, I'll post the contents of smb.conf

Update: I changed the parameter to "yes" and now I can access some of the shares through Windows. The folders I'm sharing from my Lubuntu user folder ("Public" and "Videos") I can access from Windows. However, shared folders on a second hard drive (which is mounted) tell me I do not have permission to access.

Edited by DarkSerge

Thanks for the help. Things seems to be working nicely for the time being. The computer running Lubuntu is my old system that ran Xubuntu until about 5 months ago that I was having issues with as it got older. After I got this new system up and running, I decided to tinker with the old one so if something doesn't work it's no big deal; just something to experiment and learn with.

Shares on the primary drive (where the OS is installed) work just fine, no problems, Windows and Lubuntu access each other without error.

I have a second drive installed in that computer (running Lubuntu) and shares from that drive give a permission error from Windows. I'm not concerned about it, there really isn't anything on the drive, it's just extra.

securitybreach

So your in initial issue you started this thread about has been resolved?

The permission error on your second question can be possibly resolved if you open up another post or at least post the error message you are getting.

Glad I was able to help you with your login issue if that has been resolved.

Thanks