Mozilla Firefox Version 28.0 Released with Critical Security Updates

Corrine

The update includes five (5) Critical, three (3) High, seven (7) Moderate and two (2) Low security updates. To get the update now, select "Help" from the Firefox menu at the upper left of the browser window, then pick "About Firefox."

Details of security updates, changes and known issues compiled in my blog post at Mozilla Firefox 28.0 Released with Critical Updates.

• Like 2

Thanks! US-CERT hasn't even notified me yet. I don't usually like dot zero versions of anything, but I've had so little trouble with FF and I like to keep my mother's computer safe.

Edited by ebrke

Updated 6 computers (three XP and three Win 7) with no problems. Since this fell right in line with the 6 week new version cycle, I expect that we might see a 28.1 to plug the holes that were discovered last week.

By the way, how is it that a standard user account in win 7 and a limited user account in win xp can install a firefox version update? My guess was that firefox wasn't tied into windows to the extent that it triggered a permissions check, but that worries me a little in terms of security. I never tried to update FF before as anything but an admin user, so never ran into this before.

Guest LilBambi

It's tied into an update service that you have to authorize when you install Firefox if you want it to be able to do these updates like this.

You likely did that so long ago now, you don't remember having to do that.

Thanks! US-CERT hasn't even notified me yet. I don't usually like dot zero versions of anything, but I've had so little trouble with FF and I like to keep my mother's computer safe.

Just got my US-CERT notifications in email.

Guest LilBambi

Nope. Already covered, Liz. This update was rushed out in response to PWN2OWN. See Paul Duckin's report here: Firefox 28.0 takes on the PWN2OWN attacks already | Naked Security.

The update did NOT include the change announced to Directory Tiles. Advancing Content | Official blog for Mozilla's Content Services team

It is excellent that they so quickly got that update out after PWN2OWN at CanSecWest!

One of the really annoying things at least so far with Firefox and Google Chrome is that you can't turn those stupid tiles off! The tiles on Google Chrome don't appear to include third party crap, but then I block all that stuff so how would I know.

I particularly hate the ones for Firefox especially due to some being third party tiles! I will continue blocking that crap!

All browsers should have the ability to turn off those most recently visited tiles off; with or without third party tiles. Some people like that stuff but I do not.

Edited by LilBambi

With Firefox, you can edit about:config to change the default action for a new tab, eliminating the Directory Tab issue. Following are the steps I used to change the default from about:blank to a URL of choice:

• Type about:config in the address bar (confirm any warning)
  • Search newtab
  • Right-click browser.newtab.url and select Modify
  • Change about:blank to the URL of choice (I used http://www.bing.com)
  • Close about:config

Hello,

If your anti-malware software scans files when they are downloaded (and most do, these days), you can set "browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone" to false under about:config. That may (or may not) give you a little speed boost when downloading files, as they then do not get scanned twice. I would recommend testing this to make sure you don't accidentally disable scanning if it is not otherwise done, though.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Guest LilBambi

With Firefox, you can edit about:config to change the default action for a new tab, eliminating the Directory Tab issue. Following are the steps I used to change the default from about:blank to a URL of choice:

• Type about:config in the address bar (confirm any warning)
  • Search newtab
  • Right-click browser.newtab.url and select Modify
  • Change about:blank to the URL of choice (I used http://www.bing.com)
  • Close about:config

I changed mine to: https://www.startpage.com

With Firefox, you can edit about:config to change the default action for a new tab, eliminating the Directory Tab issue.

Is this he issue you are talking about? - Mozilla plans to place ads in new Firefox tabs . I wonder if they will still appear after you have nine sites filled in the "speed dial"?

I just installed Iceweasel 30 from mozilla.debian.net, the latest Aurora release. Looks a bit more polished and modern but it will take a little to get used to the menu changes. No View menu or bottom Add-Ons bar? :bye2: Seems to work well though. :thumbsup:

A bit more Chrome-like but I still can't quite get to love Chrome.