My Mission for the Day {DELETED}

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Dear Highlanders,

I would like to make an open apology here for the early morning's unthinking nuking of the original thread titled the same as this one. I was frustrated and aggravated with the way the project was going. It was after 4AM and I was giving up. I figured the thread was no longer relevant, and since no one other than myself had posted in it, I would just delete it.

However, on my own boards I do not delete threads, ever. They are moved, made invisible to members, modified in some way, etc. They're never deleted outright. It feels like destruction to me to delete a thread on a board. Once it's gone, it's gone forever. Furthermore, on this board, which is not one of my boards, it is definitely wrong of me to delete a thread that once posted is part of the Scot's Newsletter Forums domain.

So, I apologize for my preemptive strike on this thread earlier this morning. I will now endeavor to post a synopsis of what was originally posted in that thread.

Here's the story...

I was attempting to assemble a computer (Frankenputer) for my great-nephew Christian, who is 7 years old, from salvaged parts that I had dug up from the computer graveyard on the shelves and in the drawers of my shop. I was able to put together a little system that turned out as follows:

Compaq Presario SR1417CL

ASUS K8S-LA mobo

AMD Sempron 3000+ 1.8Gig socket 754 CPU

768M RAM (slot 1 - 512M, slot 2 - 256M)

SiS 760/964 chipset

60 Gig Samsung hdd

Acer 15" CRT monitor

Generic keyboard

Generic mouse

I had the Compaq, but needed to cannibalize another unit for the hard drive and the PSU (a 250W Bestec). The monitor is a brand new unit that my brother had in storage. It had never been taken out of the box before.

I installed MS Windows XP/SP3 on the hdd, but was having issues with vid display, MS Security Essentials updates, and MS updates. Also, auto-updates were caught in some sort of loop that was driving a svchost.exe to run the CPU up to 100% and stay there. I've installed XP/SP3 bazillions of times, and I've never had this issue before. I have definitely never had an issue with MS Security Essentials before.

So, I decided to install Linux for the kid. He doesn't know anything about operating systems one way or the other, anyway. He just knows Firefox and the little game (Flash stuff like Minesweeper, etc.) site where his mom signed him up an account. I figured Linux would be safer for a child to run on a system, anyway; less chance of malware, virii, etc.

I installed Linux Mint 15 first. It was sluggish and graphic rendering was terrible... herky-jerkiness, poor frame rate, etc. I tried Zorin next. It wouldn't even startx. Then lastly, I tried Ubuntu. It ran fine as a Live OS, but once installed, displayed the same bad video issues.

I wasn't even going to attempt to build my own drivers from the downloads at the SiS site, so I reinstalled Windows figuring I'd just work to resolve that operating system's issues. He'll really probably need MS Windows for school and other projects, anyway. I can always introduce him to GNU/Linux when he's a little older.

This is where I am now:

I've downloaded and installed the mobo chipset drivers directly from the SiS site. That helped a lot with USB, audio, and video issues. Now I'm still stuck on the MS updates and MS Security Essentials updates bugaboo. I'm sure they are related. There is a long, drawn out fix at MS that I will have to attempt next. I'm headed out to the shop in a few minutes to see if things will look a bit better after getting a bit of sleep.

So, there you have it...

I had a similar problem. WIndows Update would not work, period. And like yours, it was a completely fresh install. I tried a bunch of things.

Finally, I turned Windows Auto Updates on, and let the computer run overnight. When I got up in the morning, 100+ updates finally came in, and WIndows Update was restored.

Try it, and see if it does the trick for you. :)

Adam

• Like 2

With a situation like this, i would NOT do an automatic update. I would either to a custom update (which will take a very long time just to populate what is available to dl) or dl latest 3 ISO burn them to DVD-RW and install one at a time.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

and jic

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/install-windows-updates-from-dvd-iso/58b397aa-0576-4c92-8d00-76e14c006d86

With a situation like this, i would NOT do an automatic update.

Why not? I'm curious, as the Windows Automatic Update seemed to do the trick.

Adam

I had a similar problem. WIndows Update would not work, period. And like yours, it was a completely fresh install. I tried a bunch of things.

Finally, I turned Windows Auto Updates on, and let the computer run overnight.

I've had the same thing happen to me several times recently with XP as well.

I've tried updating to IE 8 right away but turning on Automatic updates seems to have done the trick.

Also, there is a Microsoft Fix it that worked perfectly the one time I tried it, I just forgot to save the link. it depends on the error code you receive ;) .

As far as Linux goes the processor has SSE2 so Flash will work. The SiS video is a poor performer but if you had an old AGP card like an Nvidia 6200 around that would do the trick.

Re: Windows Update: You can download SP3 as a big file and install that if you aren't up to that level. I had to start at SP1 and upgrade from there. I didn't get Windows Updates working at all until I got to SP3.

V.T. Eric Layton

@ crp... yes, that's a possibility, but I still need to fix the system so the auto-updates work

@ davey... Yup, I was going to do the Mr. Fixit early this AM before I got so frustrated, but when I clicked on it, it immediately alerted me that I would need to install MS .NET Framework. I had some updating issues with .NET on my own system a while back. It was causing constant downloading, but never installing anything. I had to remove all the .NET stuff from my system to get it to quit. So, I was reluctant to install .NET on this fresh installation.

-----

Updates:

This monster is taunting me. When I went out to the shop to fire it up and try to solve some issues, the system was dead; no nothing. PSU decided to die on me sometime after shutting down early this AM.

This is really par for the course. The system that I'm basing this monster on (the Compaq Presario) belonged to a friend of mine for about 5 years. I had it at my house every three months like clockwork. There was always some little bugaboo causing this thing to go kerflooey. If this guy had been a paying customer, I could have bought a new Jaguar with all the money I would have charged him for work I did on this system. I told his wife not to buy it in the first place. After asking my advice, they ignored it over the advice of a much more qualified Walmart salesman (sarcasm here). I think this computer has had it out for me ever since. If I can't get it working, I'm going to take it out in the back yard and beat it to death with a 16 lb sledgehammer. ;)

A pal o' mine supposedly has a couple little 250W PSUs that are in working order. He's going to try to get them to me this weekend sometime. Once I get the PSU back in, I can go back to battling the Win updates bug.

YAY! :)

Is it any wonder I got flustered at 4AM this morning? smiley-computer003.gif

@ crp... yes, that's a possibility, but I still need to fix the system so the auto-updates work

[...]

I strongly disagree. This is XP , it only has 5 months of auto-updates left to it. Far better to manually get it up to date then either instruct someone on how to update or setup VNC so that you can remote in and do it for them.

V.T. Eric Layton

Myeh... you have a point, crp. Fact of the matter is, though, he's just a little kid who wants to play his silly Flash games, and mom won't let him tie up her laptop to do that. Plus, they don't have a lot of $$$ at this time. Things have been hard for her and him since my nephew (Christian's dad) died back in 2009.

I figure he'll just trash this Windows installation long before April of 2014, anyway. The hope is that by that time I'll have some more modern junk around here to create him another Frankenputer that will run Win 7. Or maybe I'll hit that lottery for Christmas! Woo-hoo! :)

Guest LilBambi

Why not put Debian on it with xfce or LXDE with Windows XP installed in Virtualbox.

That way he can use WinXP for his sill flash games (or just use Google Chrome in Debian to do so). And learn to do the rest in Linux.

V.T. Eric Layton

Why not put Debian on it with xfce or LXDE with Windows XP installed in Virtualbox.

That way he can use WinXP for his sill flash games (or just use Google Chrome in Debian to do so). And learn to do the rest in Linux.

Too complicated, even for me. ;)

I recently reinstalled XP and ran into the infamous update stall. It turned out in my case to be an Internet Explorer update issue. Updates applied out of order I think. Anyway, installed this to get IE back on track and things started working again:

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=40390

ETA:

The solution above is for IE8.

For IE7 this is the solution:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40519

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Yes, Robert!

And if you run into issues with installing missing Service Pack, this topic might help:

What's with Windows/Microsoft Update just NOT working anymore with Windows XP?

Thankfully, as long as you heed the processor admonition in the topic, you can jump straight to SP3 from either SP1 or SP2.

XPROCKS! response:

Hi James

What is your service pack level? If you do not know, click the start button, Run, and type "Winver" in the run dialog box.

Windows Update no longer functions if you do not have Windows XP SP3 installed. If the previous step you performed confirmed that you do no have XP SP3 installed, you need to download and install XP SP3 from the link below.

http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=24

Note: You can safely ignore the warning text that specifies that this package is only suitable for IT Professionals and Network installations.

Important: To avoid a scenario where your system goes into a "Reboot Loop", as a result of installing XP SP3, you need to check and make sure your Processor type is not an AMD(HP) OR NON- INTEL Processor. You need to install the package linked below if yours is a non-intel processor prior to installing XP SP3 KB 953356.

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=23751

If you do have SP3 already installed, skip this step and move to the next step.

Reset Windows Update Components.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

NOTE As you will note from Microsoft's Service Pack and Update Center which has SP3, as well as older downloads for SP2 and SP1a Express install available.

That page also has some additional troubleshooting articles available:

Guest LilBambi

If you are trying to get Windows Updates for SP1 (SP1a) and SP2 from another computer before getting the computer you are trying to update on the Internet (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!):

Please NOTE: the full SP1a download is apparently also available at CNET Downloads and currently at this direct download link from Microsoft as shown below:

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/xpsp1a_8441053935adbfc760b966e5e413d3415a753213.exe

IMPORTANT: The SP1a Express install at Microsoft's Service Pack and Update Center is NOT the full SP1a download and can't be used to fully update the computer to SP1a OFFLINE.

AND Note that SP1a (updated replacement from Microsoft for SP1), and SP2 are of course no longer available via Windows Updates any longer.

Guest LilBambi

Even if you intend to use Windows XP as an OFFLINE SYSTEM (no Internet), it would still be wise to have it fully up to date.

Sometimes people still go between systems via USB drives and DVDs to install games etc. and it is wise to be as updated as it can be. Especially since some games will require the latest updates to run.

Even if you keep the system offline now through April 8, 2014, you should get online is to get updates (after all SPs are installed) on Patch Tuesdays and/or when updates out of cycle are made available.

And of course after April 8, 2014, no Windows XP systems should be online unless you have a clone to restore from WHEN it gets hit surfing the Internet. However, it is really not wise to do so at all as malware purveyors will be all over Windows XP users come April 2014.

V.T. Eric Layton

@ Fran... No, this installation of XP Pro that I'm dealing with on the kid's computer is updated to SP3 via CD media already. Something has changed with the updates at MS in the past few weeks. I've never had any issues installing XP/SP3 and updating via the Internet before.

@ Adam... Where've you been? Everyone here knows that I don't do anything "virtual". It's REAL or nothing at all for me. Besides, I don't want to have to teach a 7 year old how to boot Linux, start V-box, boot XP, start IE/FF, navigate to game site, etc. I'd much rather him be able to click the browser from a shortcut icon or quick launch icon with the game site set as a home page and start playing.

@ Robert... Hmmm... could be an IE thing. I read about that issue the other night when I was still trying to get it to work (before PSU died). Once I get the hardware issues resolved, I'll check on that IE fix and see what happens. Thanks. :)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I recently reinstalled XP and ran into the infamous update stall. It turned out in my case to be an Internet Explorer update issue. Updates applied out of order I think. Anyway, installed this to get IE back on track and things started working again:

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=40390

ETA:

The solution above is for IE8.

For IE7 this is the solution:

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=40519

What a coincidence! My cousin brought me his XP/SP3 system over to the house yesterday. His complaint was that Windows had not been updating for a few weeks now. When he tried to manually start the updates from the Windows Updates page, the computer would just sit there and go on and on without ever updating. I've seen this before, and just recently, too. ;)

Your link to manually download and fix IE8 WORKED PERFECTLY, Robert! Thanks! This will probably also fix my little great nephew's system. I'm eager to try it out. I'm going over the the Tiger Direct store in just a few minutes to buy a 400w (generic brand) PSU for $5 bucks, after a $10 mail in rebate. I can live with that price. :) I'll plug that baby into the troublesome Frankenputer and fix that updating issue ASAP.

Off I go...

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I bought the El Cheapo PSU. Heh! This thing is a trip. It's made in China, of course. The brand is CoolMax. They cut corners wherever they could to get this thing down to this price. Even the guage of the output wires is about 50% of that of most standard PSUs. The plastic connectors are cheaply made. The case is about 25% thinner guage metal than standard PSUs. Yeeeesh! It's guaranteed for a year for parts and labor. The TigerDirect manager told me that if I had any issues with it to just bring it back and he's swap me or give me store credit immediately. They are evidently selling boatloads of these things this weekend.

Oh, and the rebate process with Tiger Direct is just as much a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASCII as it was when they were CompUSA. Almost wasn't worth the silly $10 AMX card that I'll have to wait 10 weeks to get. Oh, yeah... they offered to process it in about a week for a $1 fee. Micturate on that. I went through all the rigmarole and mailed the darn thing USPS to get the full $10.

Here it is here while the link lasts --> http://www.tigerdire...43504&CatId=106

Anyway, it's installed and running. Using the links Robert posted, I was able to upgrade to IE 8 manually, and then install MS Sec Essentials. After which, the large volume of Windows updates installed with no tribbles at all. YAY! I'm letting the system run for a few hours here on my desk in the house. All's well, it seems. I set it all up for the little guy. I even have his favorite Thomas the Train cartoon character desktop installed...

thomas+1.jpg

Here's my great nephew when his grandfather (my brother) took him to meet the real Thomas a couple years ago...

DSC01040_zpsb8515537.jpg

I think he'll like his new computer. :yes:

I'm having update issues with my XP install in VBox, so I'll have to try the suggested fix above when I get a chance. So far I've been more preoccupied with getting Linux Mint 16 working properly and my system back to normal.

Well after a couple of hours of messing around with Microsoft Update I have come to the conclusion that Windows XP update on my VBox at least is irretrievably broken. No amount of installing IE8 updates or playing around with the registry will get it to work. Since I don't want to use it any more in any event, I've just nuked every trace of it from VBox and my Linux system.

goodbye-cruel-world.png

• Like 1