First impressions Mandriva 2008

cybormoron

ready for my comments? ok, here we go;OMG, somebody pinch me, i must be dreaming. i've died and gone to heaven. this has got to be the greatest operating system on the planet or at least the greatest one i've ever seen. this thing rocks. how's that for a flaming endorsement? the big highlight for me was getting my dual monitors to work. peice o' cake. the nvidia driver is already installed. all i had to do was put a couple of options in xorg. my dualie also works with compiz, so i have a dual screen cube. it wouldn't work with 2007.1.thanks bruno for steering us to the mandriva one. that probably saved me lots of time.i'm having a hard time finding anything to complain about. mandriva club will be hearing from me. time to send them some love in form of US dollars.http://aycu28.webshots.com/image/30227/200...50945258_rs.jpghttp://aycu16.webshots.com/image/32015/200...32955866_rs.jpg

Edited by cybormoron

The only thing I don't like is the huge "menu" button. It takes up far too much space on the taskbar and serves no really important function.Apart from that everything is going reasonably well - apart from the following:-Whenever I request an install of a programme I get bombarded with error messages that tell me just about everything has bad signatures. So far, I've installed Azureus, Thunderbird, FileZilla and gtk-qt-engine. All had, supposedly, bad signatures.Can anyone shed any light on why?? :whistling:

ozgeek...right click on the menu button and switch to "Default KDE Button". you might not like the "kickoff style menu" but it won't hurt to give a look-see. it's weird, i don't care for it myself. looks like they gave us 2 button styles and 2 menu styles.i'm getting bad signatures also. maybe they just aren't updated yet.

Edited by cybormoron

Thanks for the info Steve. Tried the different buttons but they weren't any improvement - so I switched back.The offer of different menus reminded me of the latest disaster from "you know who" :whistling:

Thanks for the info Steve. Tried the different buttons but they weren't any improvement - so I switched back.
I know . . the small KDE button is ugly too . . . but here is what you can do:The small button comes from /var/lib/mandriva/kde-profiles/powerpack/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps/ ( check the RED part because this is for the PowerPack . . your install will probably have "free" there )Just replace the image with any other you like . . . or just make one yourself.Myself I replaced it with the Mandrake yellow star:
# cp /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps/keditbookmarks.png /var/lib/mandriva/kde-profiles/powerpack/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps/kmenu.png

Again . . change the /powerpack directory to the one you find on your install.For the updates I am currently using ftp://ramses.wh2.tu.dresden.de/pub/mirrors/mandrake . . . it has no errors.But looking at nluug I see that the folders are populated so I might switch to nluug soon because it is a tad quicker.;) Bruno

Cluttermagnet

Wow-This really does sound good. I think I'll download it.BTW is this a larger, DVD size distro? The Cluttermaster 2007 has a DVD burner, my only one so far. In fact, I have not yet gotten around to burning my first DVD here at ClutterWorks. It's about time. ;)

The recommended "mandriva-linux-2008-one-KDE-cdrom-i586.iso" is a ( Live ) CD . . . . there is a DVD with a "normal" installer, but it has only *Free* software, so you will have to add the nVidia drivers, codecs and plugins yourself.Doing an FTP install also gives you the "normal" installer, but gives you a complete setup with KDE + Gnome + nVidia drivers, codecs and plugins . . . . ( you need an 11 MB CD to start the FTP install.;) Bruno

Just replace the image with any other you like . . . or just make one yourself.Myself I replaced it with the Mandrake yellow star:
# cp /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps/keditbookmarks.png /var/lib/mandriva/kde-profiles/powerpack/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps/kmenu.png

Again . . change the /powerpack directory to the one you find on your install.;) Bruno

Bruno, I tried your code but it didn't do anything. I got a message asking if an existing code should be overwritten and I pressed "Enter". Was that the right thing to do?Anyway, I've got the blue star at the moment. It's better than the long one.Oh, by the way, I did change the directoy to "One" instead of "powerpack"

bruno...this is called blue weave. this guy (jbensch) likes to draw flames and has a rather nice gallery on deviantART. be sure to look thru the whole gallery for more flames.http://jbensch.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=192the only probs i'm having so far is with compiz. i'm getting a variety of probs. screensaver doesn't work, occasional black screens, ksnapshot won't do regions, a couple other probs i can't think of right now. i have to reboot occasionally to clear things up. i guess this old video card isn't up to the task. i'm going to keep working with it because i can't stop spinning that cube, ;) with my dualie setup i have 2 cubes, B) for my dual screen xorg i simply added the "TwinView" option and the Virtual 3200 1200 option. http://aycu29.webshots.com/image/30028/200...61218857_rs.jpg

Edited by cybormoron

@ Jan:

I got a message asking if an existing code should be overwritten and I pressed "Enter". Was that the right thing to do?
Nope you have to type "Y" before hitting the Enter key :hysterical:@ Steve:
bruno...this is called blue weave. this guy (jbensch) likes to draw flames and has a rather nice gallery on deviantART. be sure to look thru the whole gallery for more flames.http://jbensch.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=192
Thansk Steve !
the only probs i'm having so far is with compiz. i'm getting a variety of probs. screensaver doesn't work, occasional black screens, ksnapshot won't do regions, a couple other probs i can't think of right now. i have to reboot occasionally to clear things up. i guess this old video card isn't up to the task. i'm going to keep working with it because i can't stop spinning that cube, ;) with my dualie setup i have 2 cubes, B) for my dual screen xorg i simply added the "TwinView" option and the Virtual 3200 1200 option. http://aycu19.webshots.com/image/29858/200...52994845_rs.jpg
LOL . . . I am not too crazy about the cube and all the fancy compiz tricks . . . I like my desktop in 2D :hmm:http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2190/153559...1170d3cf7_o.pngB) Bruno

@ Jan: Nope you have to type "Y" before hitting the Enter key :hysterical:
LOL It's amazing what happens when I do the right thing. :hmm: Yellow star successful ;) B) Thanks, Bruno B)

I like it. It configured my printer without any help from me (yay!). I'm not sure about the scanner part yet but I'll give it a test run later today.I have one problem I've never encountered before but I'll try to work it out on my own.

well the novelty of getting the 3d effects to work with my dual screen setup has worn off. it worked ok but i had to turn it off because window management is unmanageable. compiz and kwin just don't seem to get along. there's too many little issues with kde/kwin. it does work better than before so if i ever want it i can just turn it on again. maybe it works better with gnome, but i'll save that testing for another time.i used the easyurpmi site to configure my repos. i'm using ftp nluug for the main, contrib. i'm using ftp free france for plf. so i'm setup just like 2007.1. packages are not giving me signature errors anymore. i'm still busy tweaking everything to look like 2007.1. i guess i'm set in my ways and 2007.1 is a hard act to follow so in the end i guess this was just a clean, fresh, up to date, solid upgrade. i didn't wipe out 2007 though, i bought a new drive for this. so if i wanna go back i can just pop the old drive back in. in fact my next challenge is to mount it as a slave. that will give me 2 - 500GB drives. shouldn't take me too long to fill it with stuff, lol.

i'm still busy tweaking everything to look like 2007.1. i guess i'm set in my ways and 2007.1 is a hard act to follow so in the end i guess this was just a clean, fresh, up to date, solid upgrade. i didn't wipe out 2007 though, i bought a new drive for this. so if i wanna go back i can just pop the old drive back in. in fact my next challenge is to mount it as a slave. that will give me 2 - 500GB drives. shouldn't take me too long to fill it with stuff, lol.
Myself I have 2008 on 2 test-system-installs . . . and did not replace my main 2007.1 install yet. Not only the work of tweaking all back to perfection is holding me back, but also I am still checking if there are no showstoppers that will keep me on 2007.1 until 2008.1 will be released. I have to say that 2008 is rapidly getting closer and closer to completely replace all 2007.1 installs I am running.:offtopic: Bruno

I've tried several times to download 2008One but when I see the time climb from 2 hours to 3 hours to 4 hours, I cancel the download.Perhaps I should wait for 2008.1? Would this come out sometime in the first part of 2008? (I know you can't pin a date on anything but historically, does the new version usually appear in the first three months of the year?)I liked what I saw live in 2007.1 and now that I've upped the memory in my notebook from 256MB to 1Gig, maybe I can actually get a few more distros to load instead of freezing.

Hi LizLooks like MDV is popular again . . . . many people hammering the mirrors . . . . But the good news is that the blazing fast nluug mirror has the ISOs and can have many many downloaders at the same time:ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...cial/iso/2008.0So chances are you will get it in a shorter time.:whistling: Bruno

I've tried several times to download 2008One but when I see the time climb from 2 hours to 3 hours to 4 hours, I cancel the download.
Hi LizHave you tried to download using Metalink ? You will need aria2 or downloadthemall firefox extension http://www.downthemall.net/main/install-it...hemall-10-beta/http://clientes.netvisao.pt/wardevil3/mand...86.iso.metalink"Besides being fast, the above metalink also contains info for error recovery - so if you've tried downloading this file via another method and got a checksum error, you can use the metalink to repair it. and if you use it from the beginning, it will automatically repair any errors IF you use aria2 (the most advanced metalink client)."--twanj(mandrivausers)I have tried it many times using aria2 and it is very fast (pulls data from many connections)Anil

I'm working on nlug and it appears I'll have it in about an hour and fifteeen minutes. Thanks Bruno.Anil, I don't have aria2 and really don't want to install another FF extension. Thanks for the help though.

I still have 2007 .... i had a question .. is it possible to have kde install without all the whistles bells and kitchen sink .... just kde core and then you can add the apps that you will use and need along the way ...