Upgrading Thunderbird

trigggl

What is the safest way to do this and keep all my settings and email the same?Do I just run the .exe in Windows, or should I uninstall 0.5 first?

I would recommend finding and deleting the old program directory (C:\program files\thunderbird or whereever you installed it). THEN, just run the exe file, and you should be good to go... Your profile (where all your settings are) will not be touched :D

Nevermind.I had 0.5 installed where I downloaded it to, which is the backup of all the programs I install. I installed 0.6 to the appropriate place then deleted 0.5 from the wrong place. All is in good working order just like I never changed. It has all the new icons and such of course.I assume the same procedure holds true for linux. Delete everything in the /usr/local/bin/thunderbird folder then extract the new one there?

Be careful if you also use any other email program as well. I had to remove the newest version from my computer because it disabled my Novell GroupWise that I must use for work. It removed a dll necessary for that to work.Julia :D

I use Thunderbird for personal email and MS Exchange for work related stuff. It helps to keep them separate and to send personal stuff outside the network without the overactive email filters on the Exchange server. They seem to ignore each other pretty well.

Subject well covered but to sum up the Thunderbird upgrade site pages are very specific and I quote:" DO NOT install Mozilla Thunderbird into a directory containing program files from a previous version. Overwriting files from a previous release WILL cause problems. To re-use the directory of a previous install, the directory must be deleted and recreated, emptied, moved, or renamed. You should not file bugs in Bugzilla if you choose to ignore this step.The program directory does not contain profile information; any existing accounts, account settings, options, e-mail, and news messages will remain intact. This release does not require changes to your profile to function properly. Important: If you used a prior version of Thunderbird and installed themes OR extensions, you need to do the following or Thunderbird may NOT run properly. Find your profile directory. There should be a sub directory called chrome. "Ed

Cluttermagnet

I'm just loving Thunderbird more every day. It will probably become my favorite email client in time, though I'm still a big fan of Pegasus. BTW if anybody knows how to get Tbird to do email previews- view headers and subject lines and senders on your ISP- please let me know. I like to view headers and delete spam on my ISP server and I use Mailwasher, Pegasus, and Pocomail to do that. It looks to me like Tbird may not be able to do that trick yet (?)trigggl, I love your breadboard A/D trigggl.gifI have built up a lot of circuits on a 'Proto Board' like that.It is fun to see that in your tag line.And of course, Bill the Cat av-1727.gifI see you cleaned up his ragged outline a little bit. But he still looks like he is listing to port and taking on water. Maybe you better get him into drydock and knock the barnacles off his hull and patch him up before he sinks. I think he is looking a little seasick. Maybe that is just because of the lime green background? :ermm: