USA "green" automobile sales crater again in August

crp

as reported here: http://green.autoblog.com/2014/09/05/august-2014-green-car-sales/

BUT: I'm wondering if it is the car style not selling or if the real problem , based on the article's information , is that Government Motors sales are the problem. I'm basing that on the fact that gasoline prices are still quite high. Or maybe the problem is that with the economy stuck in the dumps, the additional upfront costs are affordable.

V.T. Eric Layton

Have you seen the prices of those "green" cars? It takes a lot of green to get one of those babies. I don't think mainstream Americans can afford it.

securitybreach

is that Government Motors sales are the problem.

Do you mean General Motors? One of my grandfathers retired from there and their definitely not government run or operated.......

securitybreach

well... except for ford, all the auto mfgs were rescued by govt funding.

they should have all been allowed to fail.

Ah ok, I understand what you meant. B)

well... except for ford, all the auto mfgs were rescued by govt funding.

they should have all been allowed to fail.

and similar to healthy banks around '08, Ford was pressured to take govt funding. Unlike the banks, Ford is independent enough of gov't oversight to say 'No'.

Also, need to be clear that 'being allowed to fail' does not mean cease to be doing business. The whole Government Motors setup was and is a fiasco, but if the GM company had been allowed to go into receivership a buyer(s) would have been found. Heck, Chrysler found a buyer.