MozillaFirebird 0.6.1 RC1 Released!

GolfProRM

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.ph...p=123656#123656Coming straight from one of the main developers (Asa Dotzler), there will soon be a Firebird 0.6.1 release! The point of this release is that they feel they're a little ways away from a 0.7 stage, but there have been some major bugs fixed since the 0.6 milestone. This will be a good option to those of you who are still using the 0.6 milestone. :)I'll be sure to fill you in as I hear more, but check out the MozillaZine thread above for more details :P

A point one release not bad, fixes that dreaded crash bug , which crashed firebird to me many times.But anyways i am still sticking to Mozilla....... ;)

The first Release Candidate for 0.6.1 was released today! It's got most of the major bugfixes they were looking for. A bit of reference here: The 0.6 milestone came out on May 19; This release will be based off the 1.5a trunk that was locked on July 11... This is nearly three months worth of development. ;) Quote from Asa Dotzler (one of the main developers)

there were literally about 80,000 lines of code changed in the core since Firebird 0.6 was released. So, yes, there are hundreds, if not thousands of fixed bugs that existed prior to the release of 0.6. There were also lots of Firebird specific bugs fixed between 0.6 and 0.6.1. Then in the last few days, we've taken a small handful of additional fixes that are specifically regressions since 0.6 - things that would make 0.6.1 worse than 0.6.
This will be a very good update for anyone still running the 0.6 milestone (or anybody looking for a good stable release).RC1 downloads: Windows BuildLinux Build

i would be waiting for the final build, and at that timei would be having a broad band to so.............no problem getting this baby.

Mike Healan

At the risk of asking a really, really dumb question........How do you "upgrade" Firebird? With Mozilla, I'd uninstall it from add/remove before running the new version's installer, but that won't work with Firebird.Do I just delete the folder and replace it with the new one? Will that delete my tweaks/skins/plugins?

Yes and no... You can delete everything in the firebird directory except the plugins (if you want to keep them), and then extract the new one... All your skins and tweaks are stored in the profile directory, so they won't be touched. :D

Sorry Gus for not explaining better...Program folder is wherever you extracted the program to... You can delete everything but the plugins here. :)Your profile is located either:Win9x/ME:C:\Windows\Application Data\phoenix\profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.sltWin2k/XP:C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\phoenix\profiles\default\xxxxxxx.sltLinux/home/%username%/.phoenix/profiles/default/xxxxxxx.slt(The xxxxxx.slt is a random string of characters created for security purposes) (%username% is whatever you use to login to your OS). This is where all your bookmarks/themes/tweaks are installed. If you have extensions installed, and they asked to be installed into your profle, this is where they are. So as I said, you can delete everything in the program directory execpt your plugins. Then, after you get Firebird re-extracted, check your extensions menu (Tools->Options->Extensions) to see what extensions you need to reinstall.

Hey Ryan,Thanks for the explanation (I use XP). One other thing, at their site I was a little confused by this:Download, Install and UninstallPLEASE NOTE: You should create a new profile for Mozilla Firebird 0.6.1. To create a new profile, start Mozilla Firebird by running MozillaFirebird.exe -p and click on the "Create Profile" button.You must also delete your old Mozilla Firebird directory rather than just overwriting the files there. Not doing so WILL result in problems and you should not file any bugs on Mozilla Firebird unless you've first done a clean install and tested on a new profile. As Mozilla Firebird stabilizes more this will not be necessary but until then these steps are absolutely necessary.This was highlighted on the installation instruction page. The order is a little confusing. Do I delete, install, then create a new profile?

They keep saying to delete everything, but it's not necessary... I've only changed profiles once since April... When you install the new version, it'll automatically use your current profile. :)Just delete (except plugins) and install :D

Yep... What ended up happening is Mozilla branched off to it's own non-profit company called the Mozilla Foundation. AOL did donate $2million to the cause, so they're up and running quite well... The Mozilla project is alive and kicking, and now has no bigwig company to control it! :lol: The best of both worlds IMO.

Hey Ryan,Well installed 6.1 and all went well, except for my SBC Yahoo start page. A no go. Everything else seems fine (so far). My normal (plain page) works, but not the fancy one I usually access.This is what it says:To access the SBC Yahoo! DSL portal you need to use Internet Explorer 5 or higher or Netscape Navigator 6.2 or higher. * To upgrade Internet Explorer, follow this link. * To upgrade Netscape Navigator, follow this link.At first I thought it might be because of some Flash stuff, but through Macromedia's site they have a link to SBC's info site and all the flash works. Tried a new profile, same thing.Any thoughts?

Mike Healan
To access the SBC Yahoo! DSL portal you need to use Internet Explorer 5 or higher or Netscape Navigator 6.2 or higher.    * To upgrade Internet Explorer, follow this link.    * To upgrade Netscape Navigator, follow this link.
1.) Install this extension: http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions....gent%20Switcher2.) Identify Firebird as IE 6 before going to site (change it back after you leave)3.) Write to that site's owner and tell him he's an <insert expletive>, that you got into the site anyway, and that you intend to write to every advertiser that has a banner displayed and tell them that they are advertising on a site that is turning away potential customers for absolutely no reason.4.) Actually write those letters if you really want to try to make them stop that stupid browser check.GolfProRM,It worked fine, but unfortunately I had installed most of my plugins into the program folder ;) Lesson learned. Everything will be installed for "the user" when that option is given.

Hey Mike,I'll give it a shot just for the **** of it. The page does work with Mozilla 1.4 and Firebird 0.6. It's just 0.6.1 that it no longer works on. I don't think it's anything sinister on Yahoo's part (they did provide a link to update Netscape), just a bug in 0.6.1.

Mike Healan

I wouldn't use "sinister", but it is malicious. They are trying to force you to use a browser you choose not to use. It is not a bug in Firebird, it is a script intentionally placed on the site to block access to browsers that are not browsers they approve of. They are intentionally denying you access because they don't like your browser.

I would say that the browser detection script hasn't taken into account that there is a version 0.6.1 as opposed to a version 0.6 of Firebird. Someone needs to email their web team an explain what's happening.

Well I ended up going back to 0.6. My start page is back. It would also appear that 0.6.1 does not not hold the little favicon/icons, that I got used to seeing (why doesn't this forum have one), they turn out to be quite useful and make for faster finding of bookmarks in the various folders.

Mike Healan
Common Mike,  they approve of Mozilla, Netscape and Firebird 0.6, but not 0.6.1?  It's a bug.
I see you still don't understand why this is happening. To avoid anyone being misled into thinking this is a browser problem, let me explain.The web site owner has made a decision to deny access to any browser not on a list of "approved" browsers. If your browser is on the list, you have no problem. If you use any other browser, you get that error page telling you to install a browser you have chosen not to use. This is not a bug in the browser and is not caused by the browser. It is a combination of two things:1.) A user agent sniffing javascript that does not take into account the existence of the new Firebird2.) A boneheaded policy of locking out the user's choice of browser if they don't approve of that choiceThis is a policy that many web sites have for no rational reason. Some banks lock out all browsers except for Internet Explorer and Netscape 4 because of security concerns. This is foolish and dangerous in that they are attempting to force customers to use insecure browsers in the name of security. It also makes it hard for proper browsers such as Mozilla, Firebird, and Opera to be adopted widely, because people see that they can't use certain sites with them and are deceived into thinking there is a problem with the browser itself.