OpenDNS users

cybormoron

cybormoron

for several days now i've had problems logging into google. i get this

We’re Sorry … but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can’t process your request right now.
i'm pretty sure there's no malware on my linux so the problem has to be elsewhere. i've cleared Fx cache, rebooted the computer, rebooted my router, even released the IP lease and unplugged and removed the battery from the comcast modem. even with a new IP the problem comes back.so here's a possible solution i found from the above page. i removed the OpenDNS settings from my router and switched back to comcast DNS service. Bingo, google never loaded so fast.
fortigy September 10, 2009 I had been receiving this error for several days. I was unable to set up a gmail account, or even check out through Google’s shopping cart at another site. The problem was actually created by my use of alternate DNS servers ( like OpenDNS ). I changed my DNS servers back to my original ISP’s ( handed out by their DHCP servers ) and the problem immediately disappeared.
i'm not sure what exactly the issue may be with OpenDNS but i'm not sure if i like OpenDNS. it's highly touted but i've had nothing but niggling problems with it, slow loads, page errors, etc.hope this helps.

Well, oddly, after running into the slow loading of Firefox 3.6, I tried OpenDNS again (I used to have it and thought it slowed things down, as mentioned above) but it seems to eliminate the several second "front" part of the site loading while FF 3.6 is "looking" for the site. Now this was several days ago, and I have not had any problems with Google . . . yet . . .Bill

Have you tried Google DNS? I am a bit leary of anything permanently related to Google . . .Bill

Edited by BillD

Bill,Off-topic, but have you tried disabling IPv6 in Firefox? 1. In the Location bar, type about:config and press Enter. 2. In the Filter field, type network.dns.disableIPv6. 3. In the list of preferences, double-click network.dns.disableIPv6 to set its value to true.

Guest LilBambi

It appears that some ISPs are persnickety about not using their DNS servers for some reason and things really get slowed down a lot.OpenDNS does help in more ways than just providing DNS from what I have read. Some really bad places (malware wise) can be blocked as well. Not sure how many known bad places they block, but they do apparently do that in some extreme cases:

Rock-Solid Security * Web Content Filtering Cloud-based, award-winning Web content filtering from OpenDNS with more than 50 categories of content. No appliance necessary. Effective against proxies, P2P, Web 2.0, adult and more. * PhishTank Anti-Phishing Industry-leading anti-phishing powered by PhishTank, the most authoritative source of phishing data on the Internet. Protects your network, organization and its employees from fraudulent phishing scams. * Malware Site Protection / Botnet Protection DNS layer security protects the most vulnerable level of your network against the latest threats, including viruses, worms and zero-day vulnerabilities. * Whitelist / Blacklist Lets you decide where your users can navigate on your customized Internet. Whitelist-only functionality available.
OpenDNS Overview

Bill,Off-topic, but have you tried disabling IPv6 in Firefox?1. In the Location bar, type about:config and press Enter.2. In the Filter field, type network.dns.disableIPv6.3. In the list of preferences, double-click network.dns.disableIPv6 to set its value to true.
Yes, I tried that the other day, and it did not seem to make any difference, unfortunately. But it seems to me, in theory, that having it enabled should be good . . .Bill Edited by BillD

I have my Comcast set up so the first two DNS addresses are the ones Comcast assigned to me. There is space for a third and I put an open DNS into that slot, figuring if there was a problem, it would be okay to fall back to that IP. (This is through the router set up, not the modem setup).

securitybreach

Sorry you have to use Comcast Liz. Out of all the ISPs I have had to deal with, Comcast was by far the worst one with all their bandwidth capping and throttling.

I have had zero problems with my broadband. I'm very satisfied with Comcast. The speed is great and the speedboost when I download large files really cuts down on the downloading time.Tv on the other hand IS a major problem. Comcast went digital on March 30th. I did a self-install of the box and DTAs on our 4 tvs on about March 9th. All the tvs experience tiling/pixelating and either a black or blue screen with a white box "One moment please" as we lose the signal. So far 4 techs have been to the house, starting March 11th. Almost all the wiring inside, some of the wiring outside and the connectors to the tvs have been changed.I think the first tech had it correct when he said, the problem is at the pole before the drop wire comes to the house.We've been escalated since April and have a trouble ID number. So far three times, Comcast has failed to contact us within the 48 hour period to deal with the problem.I'm patient because I know with the mandated switch to digital, there are a lot of people who need the digital boxes installed so they can receive a tv signal for more than a handful of channels.But come, May 17th, I'll call every 2 days until someone gets back to me.I'm keeping notes on everything, as well as when the worst tv problems occur.

I'm very satisfied with Comcast.Tv on the other hand IS a major problem.
We are also quite satisfied with Comcast -- Internet. Don't even get me started on those &$*%^# DTAs.Acadia

securitybreach

I am glad you have not had any issues with Comcast's internet. I did however have tons of issues with throttling. But hey it works for you, great ;)