#26 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:37 AM

View PostGary, on May 20 2009, 05:48 PM, said:

It does not run real anything. The only app I got to run in linux well was Firefox and that will even run on a MAC.
Gee Gary.  You should be careful or someone sensing your bias might be tempted to call you a FANBOY!! :blink:

#27 OFFLINE   throktar

throktar

Message Adept

• No Longer a Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:20 AM

View Postlewmur, on May 4 2009, 07:05 AM, said:

I have an Acer Aspire myself and had no problems with the proviso that you choose the Vesa option the first time you boot the LiveCD.  What forums did you visit to solve your problem?  Ubuntu 9.04 handles wireless flawlessly.  OTOH, I couldn't find Vista or Win7 drivers for either my ATI TV Wonder card or my HP scanner.As it happens, I spent half a day today getting a friends Windoze system back up and running.  Good ole trojan horse got him.  Had to do a "repair" install to unlock the registry or even see the CDROM drive.  Naturally, that meant I had to reinstall all of the drivers and lo and behold he had no idea where the driver CD was.Once I finally got the machine back up and running, I spent 30 minutes installing Linux Mint 6 as a dual boot and told him to learn to use it or next time he could spend a couple hundred bucks getting a repair shop to get his Windoze operating again.
I don't use forums for Linux help. I have tried them in the past and found people trying to be very helpful but there were too many inconsistencies in the proposed help. I remember trying RH back in the day when if you wanted to try it you had to first find a friend using it and copy to the screw, the hardware they were using, otherwise, it was not going to work, no way, no how.I have a long time friend who is my "go to" person for any Linux issues. She graduated CAL Berkeley at age 16, MIT two years later. She wrote the TCP/IP stack for RH back in the day. If she can't find a driver-- she writes her own. She is currently a VP of US operations for an Israeli company doing streaming video compression. She has like 25 patents in her name for that technology.I'm curious why you would spend so much time fussing with Windows 2000 which must be at least 9 - 10 years old. There is no way to make it secure no matter how hard you try. Did not you yourself state that 2 years in computer years is an eternity?
Non Satis Non Scire

#28 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:11 AM

View Postthroktar, on May 22 2009, 12:20 AM, said:

I'm curious why you would spend so much time fussing with Windows 2000 which must be at least 9 - 10 years old. There is no way to make it secure no matter how hard you try. Did not you yourself state that 2 years in computer years is an eternity?
It wasn't my computer so the choice of OS wasn't mine.  I gave the owner an up to date OS.  Linux.  But the reason many people use w2k is that they bought a used computer with it already installed and upgrading the computer too Vista is both cost prohibitive and physically impossible.  The old hardware simply won't run Vista.

Edited by lewmur, 22 May 2009 - 10:25 AM.

#29 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:47 PM

I remember when I first started with Linux and tried to get help with an issue I was experiencing with my ATI video card. Back then there was mainly newsgroups/usenet.Wow, what an eye opener! Their lack of real help and lack of consideration and expectation that you pour over every man file and understand them (without help) or understand the person trying to help when they leave out so many important facets of the information because it just came naturally to them and likely just never thought about trying to help a 'linux explorer' ... that was back in 1999.Thankfully, things changed radically in recent years on many forums for help with Linux. And I think Bruno and the folks he has helped over the years here in ATL (All Things Linux) have really made a difference in people's Linux experience, particularly when starting out as a newb...errr, 'linux explorer.'Always good to have an open mind, as well as a considerate and non-pompous attitude toward others. It makes for a less hostile environment for those being helped, makes it possible for folks not to feel foolish when trying to get at an issue they are having and maybe a solution, and creates a more smooth experience on forums in general for all members.That is really true in any learning environment; no matter what the subject.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users