Password Management Software

ebrke

Does anyone have any recommendations about password management software? I never let my browser store my passwords in Windows. Is it safer to do this in linux? I tried something called kpasman, but it doesn't seem to want to run on my system, just tries unsuccessfully to open and then exits.

Hi ElizabethThere is a new program that fits seamlessly in KDE : "KWallet" . . it is included in PCLos, but I'm sure it will be available for other distroś too . . . i am still looking for suitable links, but here is a place to start:Http://www.kde.organdhttp://docs.kde.org/en/HEAD/kdeutils/kwall...llet/index.htmlandhttp://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&ie=I...G=Google+SearchFor the SUSE RPMs, type KWallet in the searchbox of: http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3 ( Pay attention to the right version KDE, 3.1 or 3.2 !! o:) ):D BrunoPS: Will post additional links as I find them

Edited by Jeber

Maybe I'm missing something here, but when I go to rpm.pbone.net and search for kwallet, the only hits that come up for SuSE 9.x are for verious versions of kdeutils3 and there's a lot of stuff there that I don't want. :D

Hi ElizabethIt makes part of kdeutils, I don't think you can just download the wallet itself . . . . yes the package has Kcalc, Kjots and a few more things . . . but are they not already installed on your SUSE ?? What if you type "kwalletmanager" in a terminal, do you get a new icon next to your clock ??If it is not yet installed, you might want to install it anyway, there is lots of nice apps in kdeutils :DB) Bruno

Hmmm, I did try installing a version of kdeutils3 but still don't have anything if I do whereis kwallet or kwalletmanager or if I type kwalletmanager. It's a mystery. I did find something through KDE's website called PWManager and I installed that. I notice it uses the clipboard as a means of letting you insert the password if you don't want to key it in. I hope the clipboard is more secure in linux than in Windows? :D

???. . . . . strange, but better then "whereis" you can do "updatedb" as root after the install and then "locate kwallet" that should spit out a lot of entries . . . . are you sure the install went smooth ? ( Was it available in Yast ? )But, that said, PWManager should be safe if you are behind a decent firewall and you have your system passwords set up correct. ( do not know PWManager though )If it is for websites, you can also use the passwordmanagers that come default with Mozilla or Galeon, they are encrypted and pretty safe . . ( you can not even see the password yourself :devil: ):D Bruno

Hi ElizabethIt is not your day is it ?? . . Means the package "slocate" is not installed ( Think in SUSE it was called "findutils" ) . . you may want to install that anyway because the command "locate" ( from the package slocate ) is a tool you do not want to miss . . . if only I was sure of the name the package was called in SUSE . . in any other distro it is "slocate" . . . but findutils makes a good chance . . :D Bruno

PART 2Found this info:

The package is no more installed by default. It is called"findutils-locate".To install it without yast, put in your first (or any) CD and dozgrep findutils-locate INDEX.gzThis will spit out the disc it is on. You can then manually install itfrom commandline (rpm -ivh findutils-locate....rpm).If you don't know the package, tryzgrep bin.locate ARCHIVES.gz (only on the first CD)^This could also be "\/", but "." is shorter to write
Well, "findutils-locate" . . I was not far off beat :D :DB) Bruno

Thanks, Bruno, at least I have "locate" now (tested by "locate firefox"). But, no returns on "locate kwalletmanager" or "locate kwallet". I think I will pursue this another time. For the present, I will see how I make out with PWManager. One question--why the instructions on how to install outside of Yast? (I did use Yast to install it.)

linuxdude32
Does anyone have any recommendations about password management software?  I never let my browser store my passwords in Windows.  Is it safer to do this in linux?
I believe it's safer, Elizabeth, but only if you don't have your computer set to login automatically (and a lilo or grub passwords wouldn't be a bad idea also). That way you're protecting your passwords behind another password. Also, use a firewall to make sure your computer isn't accessible from the Internet as Bruno says. Routers are the easiest way to do this if you're on broadband but SuSE has a personal firewall you can use, too.I have pretty much everything installed on my SuSE box and I can't find kwallet. I checked rpmfind and it appears to be in kdeutils3-3.1.93-0 RPM for i586 but it's marked as 'unstable'. I only have kdeutils3-3.1.4 so it looks like we'll have to wait for SuSE to catchup unless you want to update your kdebase, kdelibs, kdeutils... :thumbsup:

(and a lilo or grub passwords wouldn't be a bad idea also). That way you're protecting your passwords behind another password.
Jason this peeked my interest how exactly would yo go about doing this in lilo? :thumbsup:

linuxdude32
Jason this peeked my interest how exactly would yo go about doing this in lilo? :thumbsup:
I'm not in Mandrake right now, but the MCC should have an area to control this in boot options. I also believe you can add this option to lilo.conf (before the image sections):password=your_passwordyour_password should be replaced with your actual password.If you add it to an image section, the password just applies to that image. Note that this only prevents a user from modifying the boot or passing parameters to it - the image will still boot without one. If you always want a password to come up (no unattended boots), then you need to make the line like this instead (again, it should be before the images themselves):password=""Then you need to rerun lilo so it re-writes the boot record. If you didn't enter a password, you'll be asked for it now.lilo -sLots of options are available. See the lilo.conf manual for details:man lilo.conf[/font]You can also use the password options for specific images only.

Yes, I'm behind a router and I have enabled SuSE's firewall. I was looking for software to hold my numerous passwords for websites. After I asked Bruno about linux clipboard and security, I realized that if I use the clipboard to paste a password, I can use the clipboard tool (can't remember the name) and clear the entry from the clipboard immediately. PWManager seems to be satisfactory, which is a good thing because I also saw that 'unstable' rpm and decided I really wasn't up for that. Well, I chose SuSE to start with for ease of use, so I can't complain when it's not cutting edge--if it were, I'd probably be bleeding all the time. :whistling:

linuxdude32
Well, I chose SuSE to start with for ease of use, so I can't complain when it's not cutting edge--if it were, I'd probably be bleeding all the time.  :whistling:
Exactly! I prefer to play with a cutting-edge distro on another partition than use it for daily work. I still find SuSE 9.0 faster and more solid than other distros released around the same time.

• 1 month later...

Looking at some kind of password management software myself a question is it possible to back up the password files created by mozilla or galeon or even kde wallet (my personal preference.)

linuxdude32
Looking at some kind of password management software myself a question is it possible to back up the password files created by mozilla or galeon or even kde wallet (my personal preference.)
Don't know about Mozilla, though I bet the info is stored in your profile directory. I don't have KDE 3.2 but if the Wallet is considered another KDE application, then it should have it's own directory under .kde/shares/apps/kwallet?

Yep Johann there are two files relating to kwallet in your /home:/home/johann/.kde/share/apps/kwalletand/home/johann/.kde/share/config/kwalletrcThe last one is the config file for kwallet, the first one is in code so makes the best chance of being the correct one . . . I would say to be safe back up both and cross your fingers ;) :angry: ( Also check the permissions before and after restoring them to the new install >_< ):w00t: Bruno