Changing mouse pointers

Jeber

I downloaded a set of pointers that I want to install. The directions say to "make" then "make install" with a "-C" command. Well, SuSE doesn't recognize the "make" command, noe does it accept "-C" as a valid parameter. In RH, I simply copied the cursor file into the usr/*** (I don't remember the exact path) cursor file, and it overrode the default ones. But I can't even find that directory in SuSE. Anyone do this before? Anyone have a clue how to change these tiny black cursors into something I can actually see? All advice appreciated. :whistling:

Hi JeberFor "make" and "make install" to work you have to CD inside the downloaded ( unpacked ) directory . . . . you might as well do a "su" to start with because "make install" usually only works if you are "root" ;)Hope this time it will work !:whistling: Bruno

If you are using KDE it is very easy to install them.In Gnome you should already have preinstalled White and large cursors so it is matter of just changing them.In KDE is very easy:

How to install a X11 mouse theme# Create the directory ~/.icons/default# Place index.theme into ~/.icons/default# Place cursors into ~/.icons/default/cursors# Restart KDE# Have fun! :-)
For tons of KDE cursors go here:KDE-look

Thanks, Bruno and Zox...KDE-look is one of my most used bookmarks. That's where I found the crystal cursors that I like so much on RH. But those I d/l'd for SuSE had different instructions, requiring the "make" command (which keeps returning "command not found" in both user and root mode). I think I'll just pick another scheme that allows the installation that Zox mentions, and I've used on RH, and go from there. Thanks, guys.

Just something I ran into - found the "Slack LiveCD" yellowdot cursors, d/l, installed ("su", make install), rebooted, no change! :) Out of curiosity, logged in as "root", and there they were! So logged back in "quint", did "make install"...but not as "su", rebooted, voila! Now looking for other cursors. :rolleyes:

Just something I ran into - found the "Slack LiveCD" yellowdot cursors, d/l, installed ("su", make install), rebooted, no change! :( Out of curiosity, logged in as "root", and there they were! So logged back in "quint", did "make install"...but not as "su", rebooted, voila! Now looking for other cursors. :w00t:
LOL, Right, here is the always funny exception to the rule :thumbsup: :w00t: :w00t: B) Bruno

I downloaded a set of pointers that I want to install.  The directions say to "make" then "make install" with a "-C" command.  Well, SuSE doesn't recognize the "make" command, noe does it accept "-C" as a valid parameter.  In RH, I simply copied the cursor file into the usr/*** (I don't remember the exact path) cursor file, and it overrode the default ones.  But I can't even find that directory in SuSE.  Anyone do this before?  Anyone have a clue how to change these tiny black cursors into something I can actually see?  All advice appreciated.  :)
I haven't changed cursors so can't help you there with the exact procedure for it. However, I'm wondering if 'make' doesn't work because you don't have gcc installed. The development stuff isn't installed by default under SuSE. You probably will need other development stuff like glibc-devel, too.

Thanks, Jason, that might be it.  I loaded very few of the devel. packages.
This is taken from the MandrakeUser.org website ( http://mandrakeuser.org/docs/basics/bsourc...rce.html#Needed ) but pretty much applies to all Linux distributions:
Here's a checklist of packages you will need for compiling. Check with rpm -q name if these are installed.Compiler gccglibc-develgcc-c++libstdc++-develSystemmakekernel-headersPopular LibrariesThere are libraries which are used very often by applications. Having their development counterparts installed should get you through most compilations without errors due to missing libraries. These development libraries are the most popular with programmers. If you have them installed, you should get through most compilations without errors due to missing libraries.libgtk+-devel, libglib-devel (most common widget set)libgr-devel, libungif-devel, libjpeg-devel, libpng-devel, libtiff-devel, libxpm-devel (image formats)libtermcap-devel, libncurses-devel (for console applications)XFree86-devel (for all graphical applications)zlib-devel (compression library) If you are compiling programs for GNOME or KDE, you will need the '-devel-' versions of their libraries. For KDE, you will also need 'libqt-devel'.
Basically, just worry about the first two sections (Compilers & System) being installed and install any of the others if the configure script program seems to ask for them.

• 2 months later...

Grabbed this thread because it has to deal with my issue...Running SuSE 9.0... went to install some cursors... Downloaded the pre-compiled ones that just require being put in the ~/.icons folder and also tried compiling a few...Here's the problem... no matter what Icon set I install, it won't change the standard pointer!!! All the others seem to work (busy, resize, etc.), but not the default! I've restarted KDE, even rebooted, but no change... any ideas? Again, I've tried both types of icon sets and tried various different ones by different designers.

Grabbed this thread because it has to deal with my issue...
A lot of people may not see your post because they'd have to be choosing to follow the thread and therefore only "see" new topics.Not sure why the default action doesn't work but maybe it's not reading the local file for some reason. Try putting it in the universal area instead:/opt/kde3/share/icons/If it's available as a theme, maybe you should try the KDE font theme under Control Center --> Appearance & Themes --> Fonts

KDE font theme? I don't have the option to set a font theme... I'll try the universal location for the icons and see how that goes...

Jason,Isn't /opt/kde3/share/icons for desktop icons? I'm talking about mouse cursors, in case I didn't make that clear. All of them change except the left-pointer... if I create an ~/.Xdefaults file and add the Xcursor.theme line to it, nothing happens, but I can change the size that way... none of the sets I've tried will change the main pointer.

Sorry Ryan . . never felt like changing the pointer . . . but Jeber has and I know he was successful ( also SuSE ) . . . . . . . see it like this: if the mouse pointer is your only worry . . . that´s luxury, you´re one of the lucky ones, most of the members here have far more complicated problems B) B) B) Bruno

Sorry, I can't stand alternate pointers. I like the default. Figured if you wanted it bad enough you would explore until you found it. B)

Well.. This is what you get for making me figure stuff out on my own. B) B) B) I got it! :DFound out that the standard cursor setup is broken in SuSE 9.0... instead of setting things up in ~/.icons, you have to set it up in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/iconsYou add the index.theme of the set you want in the defaults folder, and then add the folder with the icons in it to the icons folder (the base folder you're in). Restart KDE and it's done! :DThere's supposed to be a cursor chooser in the YaST /etc/sysconfig editor, but it's broken too...

It's probably work in progress.When I installed Suse 9 I noticed right away that they changed default cursors to something else.Maybe that has something to do with it.I liked those default Suse cursors, much better then regular ones.Sorry for not being able to help you, I ditched Suse and have only Mandrake installed and they way I suggested works with Mandrake.

Way to go Ryan! Isn't it satisfying to say you fixed it yoruself? Wish my students would all follow through with a little motivation. :w00t:

Found it by searching... Ended up on some random German forum, with one English post on the page I loaded... It had exactly the info I needed, so got lucky :w00t:

Ryan,Now you run SuSE . . maybe it´s time to learn some German ? ( Not really a dificult language though . . . :) ) :w00t: :) Bruno

I can here it now "Nein Herr Bruno" can't you? ;)
Then you can go for the "Ãœber haupt NICHT, Bruno!!" :o
Now you run SuSE . . maybe it´s time to learn some German ? ( Not really a dificult language though . . . . .  )  .  )
" ;) " is RIGHT. I've been here for 4 years and my german STILL su, uh, stinks. verdamt nochmal!!!!! :w00t:

It's time to learn - after four years???? My biggest problem in Germany was everyone answered in English. Hard to learn that way....

Our advantage is we learn it in school: French, Greman and English . . . . makes it a lot easier then learning it later ( When you´re old and grey like beeTee ) :w00t: :DB) Bruno

well, If I had much hair, it would probably be TURNING gray!!! ;) but the beard is definately showing some whiteness around the chin!! I just did my quarterly shave (whether I need it or not) so that doesn't really apply tonight.

My biggest problem in Germany was everyone answered in English. Hard to learn that way....
I had 5 years in Kaiserslautern (near Ramstein) and had the same problem. (american population of around 250,000 in the K-town area) gave up after about 3 months of trying. Now in my job, it is mandatory to speak English. of my crew of 10, only two of us are native speakers of English, although the Brit always clarifies that I speak "American English" :w00t:

Isn't /opt/kde3/share/icons for desktop icons?  I'm talking about mouse cursors, in case I didn't make that clear.
Ack! I gave you the wrong location. I'm sure I found it someplace, have to find it again now, though it looks you've already figured it out....later...Can't find it, not sure what I was smoking earlier.I meant to use Icons in KDE Control Center as well, not Fonts. Sorry about that.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the KDE-Look site and downloaded a mouse pointer. I did as the Readme file instructed. I copied the Silver and defaults folder into ~/.icons. I did all this looged in as Root. It all works while logged in as Root but not logged in as a regular user. I then tried the other steps that worked for GolfProRM and still only work as Root and not a regular user. If anyone can pass on some info I would greatly appreciate it. The 3D silver mouse pointers look pretty phat.