8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:37 PM

I need to keep GnuCash synchronized across a Windows 8.1 rig and an XP rig.

I installed it on both machines but entered the data only on the 8.1 rig.

Now I have found that it will run as a PortableApp and I think that may be a little easier to synchronize.  I'll just have to copy the profile back and forth.

I spent an hour or so inputting data into the un-portable version and I'd like to copy the data from the unportable version to the portable version but I don't know where it is.

Does anyone know which files I need to copy?  I found some information in my Windows profile and some in the GnuCash folders.
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Posted Image
Jim

#2 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:20 PM

I've never needed to sync between two machines, but in the past when setting up a new machine, I've just moved a copy of my GnuCash data file to the new machine and opened it with the GnuCash software.  The web site at your link just says "File Location: Be careful to save your GnuCash financial file to your portable device" so I'd guess the same thing may apply in your situation.  I've moved GnuCash data to new machines in linux and windows and haven't had any problems.
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:21 PM

On second thought GnuCash is more trouble than it's worth.

All I need to do is run 3 bank accounts and print business checks.

I'm going to try TurboCash but if anyone has more suggestions I'd like to hear them.  I prefer portable applications just because the don't scatter files all over my HD.
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

Posted Image
Jim

#4 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:10 AM

Table 2.1. Application Settings Locations

Unix:   ~/.gconf/apps/gnucash

Mac OSX:     ~/.gconf/apps/gnucash

Windows:   Documents and Settings/Username/.gconf/apps/gnucash

From here:

http://www.gnucash.o...e-settings.html
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#5 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

lilbambi, that was fast! you scare me with your efficiency. :D
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:52 PM

Thanks LilBambi but I have already uninstalled it as being too complicated.

This has turned into a search for a checkbook that isn't designed to work for a Fortune 500 corporation but can keep track if three bank accounts and print checks and reports.

I tried TurboCash but it was too complicated.  Quicken98 is just too old and doesn't work well.  MoneyManagerEx says it can print reports but I haven't tried yet and it won't print checks.

If a program won't print checks I may as well keep my DOS checkbook that is copyrighted 1994.  I don't know how long I've had it but 1994 sounds about right.   I can run it under DOSBox and print checks with a word processor.

Posted Image
Jim

#7 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:21 AM

Yeah, I saw you had uninstalled it, but others might want to know.

Have you looked at Home Bank?
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#8 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:25 AM

There are several others on the page that listed Home Bank:

http://www.makeuseof...ive-to-quicken/
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:42 PM

quick books is good, but may be overkill.
you can track all income and outgo and print a report for your accountant (tax person) at the end of the year.

Edited by Temmu, 19 January 2015 - 06:43 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users