Trying Mandrake 9.2 Install

pc-tecky

Well, after the mouse died, I decided to try Mandrake because the hard drive decided to die too in trying to test the mouse. Yeah, I know, what's next?? I'm afraid to ask! Anyways... Graphical LILO, Text LILO, or Grub? I had Grub as the bootloader with RedHat 7.x & 9. So I'm familar with that. But now I'm undecided. I'll decide in the next few hours, if I can wait that long. B)

TeckyFor Mandrake: take lilo ! . . . It's the default and in Mandrake you can even manipulate, configure it in a GUI if you want to make changes or add another distro after the install . . . . ( and better support here on the forum, 95 % of the penguins here are using it B) )B) Bruno

Graphic lilo.  That just gives you a nice screen to look at while you are making your selections.  Go for it!  --Julia B)
Yep forgot that: . . . . . looks mega cool !!! B) :DB) Bruno

Will do after I figure out what I just did wrong.... B) B) B) Might start over as I can't get back, becides I think I 'd like to see what the partition looks like. It did it's own thing. I'm really missing RedHat at the moment; felt a little bit more in control with diskdruid. :'(I know that grub was pretty simple to work with in adding the combo CD-RW/DVD drive.

Useful to add? Go to the individual package selection. Type in gkrellm for one, then make sure you have selected everything on the left and the bottom three on the right. After that, you can look around.What was that? Another dead drive? What are you doing, running it on wildly fluctuating power supplies? :thumbsup: Better make sure your hardware is working right first.By the way, Mandrake had zero problems with hubby's combo CD-RW/DVD so you should be okay!--Julia :D

I have no idea, used hardware can be tricky to work with. And I'm not sure, but I read that LMsensors can kill ThinkPads. I would like know how and what the "effects" or syptoms are. I ran Gkrellem (sp?) in redhat for a little bit.... is that the cause of all of this? I'll have to find the IBM/Hitachi HDD tool disk and test the drive on another system. I thought the drive was a little noisy too. Yikes!The Asus P3V4X system is looking very bright at the moment. Not enough gumption to tear everything apart to get it "just" right. Well, I think I'll set it up for 3 distros on a 20GB HDD. Good idea?

If it is all recycled parts it could be anything. They get banged around a lot and are usually recycled because of problems. I have not heard of LM sensors causing problems. Gkrellm would not cause problems I don't think. Otherwise when I hear of lots of parts going bad I think Lightening, power surges, brownouts as they all can cause many parts to go bad. Are you running a good UPS? 20GB is fine for 3 distros. Usually plan 5 a distro. I tend to go more than that but then I tend to keep iso images of a lot of distros on my computer until a new version comes out so I have them handy should someone need one. When you are spoiled (yes I admit it) you can go with bigger allocations per distro but the 20 should be enough as long as you don't save a lot of images, music, or other space hogs. Good luck.--Julia :thumbsup:

I think I will have to disagree with everyone else. As you a confortable with grub as a boot loader I believe you should stick with what you know.I am also sure you know how to add other distros to grub. So why change? :thumbsup: mike180

Nope, not too many space hogs. ~ 3.0 - 3.5 GB of MP3s in Windows and doesn't need to be transferred with windows' share/samba available. Different story with the laptop.Thinking PC Linux OS, Knoppix, and Mandrake/RedHat 9/Fudora. Strongly need/want Apache, Perl, and either FTP or Samba. That's about it for now... :thumbsup:

mike180,I see your point. I think it was grub I installed before finding out I had another dead drive. If that was Mandrake's Grub, puke. They need to put their graphical efforts of LILO into Grub. RedHat I think had the right idea and is the best I've seen so far. I think it's easier to work with as well. However, I didn't have any additional space with the laptop, so it was a one distro machine.

I'd go with GRUB. Grub can have just as pretty a bootup screen as LILO (SuSE's Grub screen is pretty nice) and it's better if things go wrong because if its configuration file is wrong/corrupt, it goes to a GRUB prompt and from there you can boot your system directly (makes it easy to try different settings, too). The other nice thing about grub is that you only need to edit the menu.lst file to change the boot setup, no need to reset the MBR like with LILO. Regardless how you choose you can always change it later.Edit: Now that I'm a Topic Cop, can I arrest people? Do I get a badge or gun? :'(

Edited by linuxdude32

You are authorized to carry a copy of Rute in your holster and bust topics like "I'm having a problem with my computer...Can you help me?".I use GRUB as well. Are we a majority yet? Did we win the primary?

You are authorized to carry a copy of Rute in your holster and bust topics like "I'm having a problem with my computer...Can you help me?".I use GRUB as well.  Are we a majority yet?  Did we win the primary?
Is it really thick when printed out? I can be like one of the British policemen with the sticks :'( I hope we won the primary; I don't want to have to do a cowboy yell like Dean did to stir up the devotees. :P

I'd go with GRUB.
Agreed. I am in the process of switching back from lilo on my test system.I may choose lilo to partition as the install option for a new/updated distro, but my master menu is going back to Grub.

Trouble... :w00t: I'm so used to RedHat's login. How do I log into "root" with Mandrake? I appear to have no option but the lowly lone user that I created.I think I want to use grub. If the Mandrake grub is that ugly yellow lime green on black, take it back!!!! I'll install RedHat's pretty blue Grub instead (is that possible?). It's very much like the graphical LILO of Mandrake. Becides I want to edit and save one file and be done; not 50 other steps too.I'm used to setting Apache and SAMBA with root. Seeing how I can't log straight into root, I'm at a loss for the moment.Apache (necessary evil - for school :w00t:) and SAMBA or FTP....Also finding it difficult to know what to install. RedHat had the option to install "everything". That option is not available with Mandrake. Not all the games got installed the first time around. :'(On the plus side, I finially got to play tuxracer quite nicely. :D

Hi TeckyAs long as you have not set it to auto-login you can simply type "root" in the box and your rootpassword in the password box.And yes you can change the colors of Grub I eveen think it is in the Tip:

# Use prettier colors.color green/black light-green/black
If you choose at the package selection "individual packages"( check the box ) . . you can then just mark all of them :w00t::w00t: BrunoPS: for root . . I always add root to the login ( + icon ) via the KDE Control Center --> System --> Login Manager --> second last tab :w00t:

I don't think I do have auto-login. And if I do, how do I change that? I have a face icon for the only user. I still need to type in a password, so, that shouldn't be "auto-login".

You are right Tecky . . that is not the auto login.The easiest way is to add "Root" to your login screen --> KDE CC --> System --> Login Manager --> Users and de-select root from the hidden users . . .:w00t: ( first push the button "administrator mode" in bottom left corner )The "KDE Control Center" is also called "Configure your Desktop" in Drake 9.2 :DB) Bruno

After installing PCLos, I had a little fun with two directories being mounted. That problem is now fixed and I could get into Mandrake again. ;) :whistling:Bruno,I found my way to UserDrake. Is that what you're talking about? Filtered, I have one user; unfiltered, I have 50+ users. I'm not seeing what you're talking about to get root "un-hidden" for that login screen. :D

No Tecky :)It is not userdrake I am talking about . . . . .Go to the ( Start ) menu --> Configuration --> Configure Your Computer --> System --> LoginManager . . . and then the tab "Users" . . :DB) Bruno

Bruno, I don't have that. :'(Mandrake Control Center 9.2 | System (tab on the left, 2nd from the bottom) I have the following to choose from:(first column)MenuDrakeDrakXServicesSet date and timeOpen a consoleDrakBackup(second column)Choose display managerDrakFontsLogDrakeUserDrakeNowhere is there a "LoginDrake"... :huh:P.S. - Posting from Mandrake 9.2 :thumbsup:Used DrakBoot to install Grub.Now to get PCLos into grub. ;)

Hi Tecky . . . . It is NOT in the Mandrake Control Center !!! . . . But what they used to call the KDE Control Center ( today called "Configure Your Computer" ): ( Start ) Menu --> Configuration --> Configure Your Computer --> System --> LoginManager . . . and then the tab "Users" ;) Bruno