Installing Old USB Printer on Win 7

ebrke

ARGGG! Have HP Laserjet 1220se that I would like to install in win 7. Here's sad story: I decided to see if windows would recognize printer (don't even really care about scanner or fax abilities) so just went ahead and plugged it in usb port. Printer driver did NOT install, just scanner was recognized, and I inadvertently ended the install without linking to ms site to search for printer driver.

I can download driver manually from Win Update, but now when device is plugged in usb port it just recognizes the scanner and doesn't attempt to install the printer again. I can't add a printer manually because it's usb. I have the old install media for win 2000, but that required jumping through hoops to install years ago on XP, so I'm sure it will just make this situation worse. Anyone have any ideas at all? Is there any way I can get win 7 to start the usb printer install again?

EDIT: Just checked windows update: there are 3 pages of downloadable win 7 drivers for this printer! How the heck to I choose the right one?

Edited by ebrke

Guest LilBambi

I would remove the USB cable, remove the device, reboot.

Go to the appropriate page below and download the driver from the link, and Obtain software from the links appropriate for the device. Then install them and attach the printer after installing them. Then get Windows Updates ... before trying to use the printer.

Be sure to get the one for your Windows version 32-bit or 64-bit:

Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit) downloads for HP LaserJet 1220se All-in-One Printer

Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit) downloads for HP LaserJet 1220se All-in-One Printer

I would say the most important part is to NOT use it till you get Windows updates after fully installing Driver download and Obtain software installations shown on those pages.

Hope that helps.

So many people found that when things didn't work after installation, they did after going and getting Windows updates that filled in the blanks in the drivers and software for printers.

Edited by LilBambi

To trigger another install over USB.... use a different port.

That's what I thought, Adam, but win 7 just continued to recognize the scanner and ignore the printer after the first attempt no matter which port I used.

Fran, I had been at the HP links but I ran into the problem of which of the many HP1220 drivers to download from Windows Update. Also, HP's instructions seemed to be based on the printer being recognized but not working correctly, and after my first attempt, win 7 just wasn't seeing the printer any more.

In desperation, I went through the old steps to add a printer manually and discovered that when the usb-connected scanner that's part of the printer installed, it created an "HP port" that appeared in the list with the local ports. I used that "port", updated the list of HP printers available for choice, and finally found my printer listed. After several minutes, I got the message that my printer was installed and the test page printed.

NOW, a couple of hours later, windows update shows an important update for the print driver, and I'm a little afraid to install it. Anyone have any thoughts? If I break this after finally getting it installed, I'll shoot myself.

Edited by ebrke

Guest LilBambi

To trigger another install over USB.... use a different port.

Adam

Still need to remove the USB connection and remove the device if she didn't finish the install fully the first time around. It was never fully installed.

Guest LilBambi

Fran, I had been at the HP links but I ran into the problem of which of the many HP1220 drivers to download from Windows Update. Also, HP's instructions seemed to be based on the printer being recognized but not working correctly, and after my first attempt, win 7 just wasn't seeing the printer any more.

In desperation, I went through the old steps to add a printer manually and discovered that when the usb-connected scanner that's part of the printer installed, it created an "HP port" that appeared in the list with the local ports. I used that "port", updated the list of HP printers available for choice, and finally found my printer listed. After several minutes, I got the message that my printer was installed and the test page printed.

NOW, a couple of hours later, windows update shows an important update for the print driver, and I'm a little afraid to install it. Anyone have any thoughts? If I break this after finally getting it installed, I'll shoot myself.

Yeah, see ... that's the thing ... it has to want to automatically choose the update during automatic updates.

I hear ya, although I think it's best to wait for it to be presented rather than pushing using it till the update came in, I would still get the automatic update presented regardless. I don't think it will break it.

Created a restore point, even though I don't really trust them, and then installed only the printer driver update, not a couple of others MS has. Thank heavens, I can still use the printer!

Edited by ebrke

Guest LilBambi

The only one you might want to hold off on (MS Updates wise) is the MS13-081: Description of the security update for USB drivers: October 8, 2013 - KB 2862330 - The new kernel update which is apparently screwing around with USB ports according to many including Mary Jo Foley in WindowsSecrets.com. Here a link to an Infoworld article back in November 2013:

Botched Windows USB driver patch KB 2862330 triggers BSOD 0x000000D1 or 0x000000CA - InfoWorld

Well, for better or worse, KB2862330 is part of the 89 updates I installed yesterday. >_< Good news is that everything seems to be all right. I've shut down and restarted since then without problems, although the only usb device I've connected so far is the printer. Wasn't going to install MS Mouse until I turned laptop over to mother--I'm using the touchpad.

Guest LilBambi

Great! I haven't experienced any problems with that KB either, but apparently some have to the point that some are suggesting not installing that kernel update.

Shouldn't have trouble with the MS Mouse. It will just work. It always does. And if software is needed it will automatically install it. Don't use hte disk.

I installed 2862330 on 3 Win 7 computers in the house in October and we've had no problems.

I held off and installed it by itself a week or two after the other updates were installed.