Who/what is Texstar?

BillD

Who or what is Texstar and what supports (other then small donations from people like me) "the small but dedicated group of developers"?On another subject, does anyone know how PCLos 0.93 is going to differ from the updated PCLos 0.92? Or will it just initially eliminate the need to download nearly as much update as the orginal download did?Thank you.Bill

Who is Texstar? He is the founder of PCLos. That's his baby.What will happen with .93 and .94? This is on .94 where we will have to reinstall. Version .93 will just be an updated .92. :'( If you have done the updates you will have .93. :)To quote Texstar:

Basically we need a new glibc and gcc. glibc is the core library whicheverything is built up from. I'm running into alot of goodies I want forpclos that I can't build because our of aging gcc. It is getting more andmore difficult to provide packages users want.Since we are going to a new glibc and gcc it would be a good time to startwith a solid core base system and build up from there using a more standardrpm naming scheme especially for the libraries. I cant tell you how manyproblems I've run into trying to upgrade libraries based on the Mandrivanaming scheme. Sometimes I spend hours on this just to make it smoothupdating through Synaptic. This would also be a good time to get off theDebian/Mandriva menu system and move to a xdg menu system that has beenproposed by freedesktop.org. We can tweak it to our liking as needed. Thiswill fix alot of the menu problems we are having as well as file associationsthat seem to revert back to defaults on some user systems.Something else we need is a better way to configure wireless connections.Seems alot of people have gone wireless and it is just a mess right now inpclos.Package management is something I'm looking into as well. I really likeapt-get with a Synaptic interface but it isnt newbie friendly so maybesomething like http://www.apt-plus.com/ for newbies, Synaptic for most of usand Smart for the ubergeeks. That way everybody is happy.The look and feel of pclos isnt going to change. Mainly just under the hoodchanges and a better distro.

If you have done the updates you will have .93. :)
Not as simple although true.There has been many modifications made to the mklivecd/livecd-install, The kernel will be 2.6.15, but probably oci1The xorg will be thac xorg, and the nvidia will be the dkms-nvidia from thac's repo, but the ATI still no worky,The dbus/hal mess will be cleaned up, and the wifi mess, well it is up to you Julia :'(

Who is Texstar? He is the founder of PCLos. That's his baby.What will happen with .93 and .94? This is on .94 where we will have to reinstall. Version .93 will just be an updated .92. :'( If you have done the updates you will have .93.
Thank you. That explains what I was just coming back to edit in my first post: i.e., will one need to reinstall, and apparently not until 0.94. Very interesting info from Texstar.But that still does not explain, what supports him and his group? Where does their money come from?Also, how often do they do a major upgrade? In otherwords, do you you have any idea when he intends to release 0.94? (I am not in any rush, I just wondered whether to install it on a second computer or wait . . . since it seems to take me about 3 hours to install, upgrade and get it set up the way I want it?Thank you.Bill

His support comes from folks like you and me. He takes donations. If you want a few links try these:http://www.pclinuxonline.com/wiki/HomePagehttp://www.pclinuxos.comIvan if it is up to me we are in trouble. I can only break it!It will be out when it is out. If you want to install now, go ahead. Otherwise, you can wait a few months. :'(

Ivan if it is up to me we are in trouble. I can only break it!
Ouch!I was hopping! The only wireless I have is ipw2100 in my D600, and it doesn't have any problem (it doesn't need any firmware upgrade) Oci doesn't have any wireless, and Sal had serious trouble with ipw2200.And I didn't even know how to spell rt61 orinoco and the rest of it. BillDI mentioned almost the whole development team:Sal is a motorbike salesman in Chicago.Ocilent1 is a chemist working on his PhD in his spare time.TheDarb and myself are full time Unix sysadmins in large corporations.Neverstop I don't know what he does,Talyn is a airplain pilotWe all do everything on voluntery bases, never seen a penny, except the donations we send to Tex.BTW. the donations don't cover even the bandwith for the PASS, Darb pays for it out of his pocket.

The kernel will be 2.6.15, but probably oci1
What does that mean; I mean what is oci1?And my current PCLos 0.92 kernel is 2.6.12-oci6 . . . presumably both an update to 0.92 . . . which leads to another question: What are the advantages of updated kernels? Is there a simple minded explanation for why one wants to upgrade a kernel that is working . . . duh?I made a donation back in January (albeit small) when I decided against purchasing Mandriva.My concern for the support source of PCLos stem from the fact that labors of love frequently begin to not be so "lovable" after awhile, and I would hate to see PCLos go the way of some other distros that were started as "labors of love" and have kind of dropped by the wayside.Bill Edited by BillD

What does that mean; I mean what is oci1?And my current PCLos 0.92 kernel is 2.6.12-oci6 . . . presumably both an update to 0.92 . . . which leads to another question: What are the advantages of updated kernels? Is there a simple minded explanation for why one wants to upgrade a kernel that is working . . . duh?I made a donation back in January (albeit small) when I decided against purchasing Mandriva.My concern for the support source of PCLos stem from the fact that labors of love frequently begin to not be so "lovable" after awhile, and I would hate to see PCLos go the way of some other distros that were started as "labors of love" and have kind of dropped by the wayside.Bill
Oh there are many various reason to upgrade to newer kernel. New algorithm (scheduling algorithms) makes the whole machine work faster. New device drivers will be part of the kernel, almost every day. For example the ipw2x00 drivers for the intel wireless chip became part of the mainline kernel starting with 2.6.14. In the 2.6.15 series, ocilent1 the PCLOS developer had 4 development kernel, which only a selected ppl. were testing, and when it was running stable enough, he published 2.6.15-oci1 which corresponded to 2.6.15-5. At the time 2.6.15-6 came out he upgraded to the 2.6.15-oci2, but we had a lots of problem with this kernel, and although it had new drivers for wifi cards, they didn't work, and broke some other cards.About the "labor of love", there are of course no garantees for life, but I know the amount of hardship and plain backstabbing Texstar went through and he didn't give up, and I don't see any sign to give up, any time soon.

Bill Go look at the links I posted above. I can not imagine such a large following would be abandoned. Texstar has been at this a while. He was in the Mandrake camp I believe before he split off on his own. I have not seen such a responsive, dedicted group, as I have with this one. I have gone from booting about 10 different distros to just this one practically. I still have many distros on my tower but they are only there for testing and responses to questions. This one is my mainstay. If you are concerned, then by all means look elsewhere. I've been elsewhere and this is where I am now. :thumbsup:

Bill Go look at the links I posted above. I can not imagine such a large following would be abandoned. Texstar has been at this a while. He was in the Mandrake camp I believe before he split off on his own. I have not seen such a responsive, dedicted group, as I have with this one. I have gone from booting about 10 different distros to just this one practically. I still have many distros on my tower but they are only there for testing and responses to questions. This one is my mainstay. If you are concerned, then by all means look elsewhere. I've been elsewhere and this is where I am now. :lol:
I have been and looked elsewhere; that is why I am so impressed with PCLos :thumbsup: And I did look at the PCLos site and your link. Sorry if I made anyone tense; it was not my intention to do so, I was just trying to find out what sort of a "foundation" it was based on, is all . . . Bill

Well, If I sensed Bills underlaying thoughts correctly, he's feared a bit to have it to uninstall and then install a new version. Secondly, I think it was a good question, because one never knows how long a distro lives . So seeing his question in that light it wasn't that bad a question, just interested in a bit of history.

BillYou did not make anyone tense. They were good questions. I appreciated Ivan stepping in and answering because he is very deeply involved in the distro and knows much more than I do about it. I have been running it for about two years now. It has come through for me where other distros have had problems. I enjoy testing and messing with the latest on it. The folks behind it are a very dedicated group. :thumbsup:

Well, If I sensed Bills underlaying thoughts correctly, he's feared a bit to have it to uninstall and then install a new version. Secondly, I think it was a good question, because one never knows how long a distro lives . So seeing his question in that light it wasn't that bad a question, just interested in a bit of history.
Striker has both issues down correctly. Distros seem to rise and fall to a certain extent, if my observations of the past several years are correct. Since I seem to be continuing on the very steep part of the learning curve (as opposed to getting any feeling at all that I can see the "edge" of the curve yet), although much of it is applicable to any distro, there are obviously some unique characteristicts of this one (as with any other one, I assume), and I did not want to invest too much effort in something that might not be around next year. And altho Bruno seems to be able to do an installation in 15 minutes, it takes me about 40 minutes and then there are all the "tweaks" like coupling TBird to FFox at root level, etc., that apparently would have to be done each time. And thanks to my screw up when I tried to make a home partition on about the 6th installation awhile back, I still don't have one . . . which means that when ver. 0.94 comes out, it would appear that I need to do the whole thing over again. Of course at the rate I have been going, I might have done it additional times by then :thumbsup: So, I manage to take at least 3 hours to do a reinstallation once I have things partitioned right (I know, because I just did it to a second computer). Granted 3 hours is trivial compared to what I may spend on a photo or two to obtain exactly what I want, but it annoys me to keep having to do the same thing over again for what ever reason . . . Of course Windows, with all its updates is nearly as bad, and one is still stuck with Windows and MS's validation.But I would hate to see this thing go away because I am using it full time now on the web; only use Windows for special stuff like Photoshop.In any event, I appreciate all the ongoing help you people have provided.Bill

• 1 year later...

Hello,

next one to post his pics with be ......... Bruno
Yes, how about some Bruno pictures,maybe with a hat.
LOL . . . I've got the exact same cap . . . . it's my favorite . . . .

Sorry Tommy . . . . Cameras always spontaneously crash and get a bsod as soon as I'm somewhere near . . . . .. . . . . but I do have one picture, it's the most recent one I have:. . . . . . Bruno.pngB) Bruno