Installing the Java plugin

Specmon

I was attempting to install the Java plugin for Firefox in MDV 2005 LE.Used the link for the plugin that came up in the browser, it gave me "jre1.5.0_04" not the j2re that Bruno's link refers to. (This is probably my problem)I installed this RPM as per Bruno's TipI couldn't find a separate "/firefox/plugins" directory. :hmm: So only made one link.When I tried to restart Firefox, the hourglass spins, and the program doesn't start.Hoping that I can fix this without a "reinstall" :thumbsup: Tom

Used the link for the plugin that came up in the browser, it gave me "jre1.5.0_04" not the j2re that Bruno's link refers to. (This is probably my problem)
Exactly what link did you create and where did you create it?

Using Konsole, I installed the plugin as Bruno desribed, then:

# cd /usr/java/jre1.5.0_04/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so# ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_04/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

going to the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ directory shows:(in blue) libjavaplugin_oji.so@ and(in green) libmozsvgdec.so*

If you do ls -l in your /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, does the link show along with the path like this:lrwxrwxrwx 1 ebrke users 69 2005-07-16 12:21 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /home/ebrke/j2re1.4.2_08/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.soNot sure you you got jre.1.5.0_04. I just went to the download site and it appeared to download just the file Bruno talked about. Maybe try the download and install again?

Edited by ebrke

ls -l from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins gives me:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   64 Aug 27 22:06 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/java/jre1.5.0_04/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so*-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 7696 Mar 14 04:09 libmozsvgdec.so*

Yep, looks like your link is all right. Maybe someone else has some ideas--I think I would try the download and install again and be sure you get the j2re Bruno talks about--his link still works from the tips. Also, how are you starting firefox? Could you try to run it once from the command line and see if it starts?

Try copying those plugins from mozilla directory to your Firefox plugins directory. I'm in Vector Linux ATM and they're in /usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/plugins/ . Use locate to find if it's somewhere else on your sytem.( That's how I found it coz it wasn't where I first thought it was! :ermm: :) )

Thanks for the suggestion Sunrat.I found the directory in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.0.2/plugins and copied the link there, checked that it is in fact there, but firefox still doesn't open.what to do.... :unsure:

Hi TomI have two questions . . . . . 1). How is it possible that FF does not start even if you have not placed the link to the libjavaplugin_oji.so in the plugins directory ( only in the /mozilla/plugins and not the /mozilla-firefox/plugins )2). Usually there are 2 or 3 directories in "/usr/lib/jre-1.4.2_07/plugin/i386" . . . . the one I usually use is the "ns610-gcc32" ( the only one that works :thumbsup: ) . . . . now I see in your post "ns7-gcc29" . . . . and that is quiet different.So my suggestion is: remove all links you made ( to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins ) and see if FF starts like it did before you started this adventure . . . Then get the plugin again but this time the j2re-1_4_2_09-linux-i586-rpm.bin ( That is the latest version here: https://jsecom16c.sun.com/ECom/EComActionSe...81B4DC5D57A8A5E Hope the link works . . if not let me know )Then follow the instructions from the Tip again ;) ( only change the version number from 07 to 09 )B) BrunoPS: If link gives troubles go here: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html and click on Download J2SE JRE ( check twice if you click on the correct one :thumbsup: )

Glad you're back Bruno! :DRemoving the links I made did in fact let Firefox run again! :thumbsup: I got this jre version from a link in firefox. Don't even remember what I was doing, but I needed the plugin. Firefox opened a white window with the green "clover" or cross or whatever it is, with a link saying "get the plugin here" and that's what I got.But the new j2re...rpm.bin doesn't seem to be installing, just unpacking to j2re....rpm

Do you agree to the above license terms? [yes or no]yesUnpacking...Checksumming...00Extracting...UnZipSFX 5.40 of 28 November 1998, by Info-ZIP (Zip-Bugs@lists.wku.edu).  inflating: j2re-1_4_2_09-linux-i586.rpmDone.[root@localhost specmon]#

I tried it twice, and I am copy/pasting the commands from your tip. (they worked before)Do the zeros from the checksumming indicate a bad download?

Well, the j2re doesn't show, but I found more of the jre1.5.0_04... that I thought I had removed earlier:

[root@localhost specmon]# updatedb[root@localhost specmon]# locate libjavaplugin_oji.so/usr/java/jre1.5.0_04/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so/usr/java/jre1.5.0_04/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so[root@localhost specmon]#

Hi TomGlad Firefox is running again . . . now we need to fix the java . . . . . ;)Okay, I see that you still have some remains of the "jre1.5.0_04" . . . .

/usr/java/jre1.5.0_04/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so/usr/java/jre1.5.0_04/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so
Better delete those first . . . in fact remove the full "/usr/java/jre1.5.0_04/" directory. Next step is the "j2re-1_4_2_09-linux-i586.rpm" you ended up with in your /home . . . just install it with:
# rpm -ihv j2re-1_4_2_09-linux-i586.rpm

In some rare cases, and I have seen this behavior before, it just unzips the j2re-1_4_2_09-linux-i586-rpm.bin and stops right there. This is no real problem because if you then install it as a regular rpm ( see code above ) all will be fine in the end and you should see that the "/usr/java/j2re-1_4_2_09/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so" will be there . . . after that a simple:

# ln -s /usr/java/j2re-1_4_2_09/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.0.2/plugins

should do the trick . . . . maybe do a:

# ln -s /usr/java/j2re-1_4_2_09/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

as well to have the plugin working for the other browsers ( konqueror, mozilla and galeon ) too.:) Bruno

Thanks Bruno. That seems to have taken care of Firefox.Couple of things though...I used "rm -r" to remove the jre1 directories. Thought that the -r switch was all i needed, but I had to say "yes" to each file (a bunch of them!) in the directories. What command would remove all the files recursively without asking about each file?And after installing the RPM, j2re-1_4_2_09 became j2re1.4.2_09 so the "ln" code needed modifiedIn Firefox, about:plugins shows the j2re, but Konqueror still shows kjavaappletviewer.so as the java plugin. /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins shows the libjavaplugin_oji.so link. Does perhaps Konqueror need a link in another location?

OOPS :) :teehee: Now I've done it.Firefox is working fine, so I'm checking to see if the MMOG that my son play works in Linux now.... (getting him to make the switch)The game plays entirely in the java applet window. Wanted to see if shutting everything off except Firefox increased his game-play speed. So I ended the KDE session and dropped to a failsafe console, and ran mozilla-firefox from the command line.This works fine, except I can't get out of this failsafe console. startx does nothing, and ending the session brings me back to failsafe, as does rebooting.Did I read somewhere that Mandriva switched from xfree86 (which startx worked for) to X.org? do I need a different command to "start X" ;) So what do I have to do to get back to KDE starting after rebooting?

Hi Tom"rm -rf" will take care of the times you have to press the Y-key :)As for Konqueror . . . in the "settings" "Configure Konqueror" there is a section "plugins" . . . and a button to let it scan for new plugins . . . . Also check if in "Java" ( same config panel ) the path to "/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_09/bin/java" is filled in :teehee::) Bruno

Oooops we crossposted . . . . . . startx should be the same also for xorg . . . . but if you have automatic login it might just reboot in the last session ( so failsafe ) . . . in that case try "startx /usr/bin/startkde" ( and disable automaic login :) ):teehee: Bruno

Hi Bruno,startx /usr/bin/startkde gives me the followng message:

_XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener:  ...SocketCreateListener() failed_XSERVTransMakeA11COTSServerListeners: server already runningFatal server error:Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running

it also suggests that I check /var/log/Xorg.0.log, but "cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log" returns the same error message as aboveHaven't tried messing with Konqueror again yet

Hi TomAnd what happens if you type "init 5" ??OR: when you get the lilo-screen hit the Esc-key and type the name of the entry you want to boot and add a space and a 5, so for example: "Linux 5" or "Mandrake 5" ( depending how lilo names your mandrake install )B) Bruno

Hi Bruno,"init 5" returns "command not found"and ESC, linux 5, Linux 5 have no effect, i keeps logging into the failsafe mode :( Willng to try another idea or two that anyone might suggest, but I'm getting real close to just doing a reinstall B) Tom

Edited by Specmon

OOPS  B)  :( Now I've done it.Firefox is working fine, so I'm checking to see if the MMOG that my son play works in Linux now....  (getting him to make the switch)The game plays entirely in the java applet window.  Wanted to see if shutting everything off except Firefox increased his game-play speed.  So I ended the KDE session and dropped to a failsafe console, and ran mozilla-firefox from the command line.This works fine, except I can't get out of this failsafe console.  startx does nothing, and ending the session brings me back to failsafe, as does rebooting.Did I read somewhere that Mandriva switched from xfree86 (which startx worked for) to X.org?  do I need a different command to "start X"  :'( So what do I have to do to get back to KDE starting after rebooting?

Hi Tom . . . something from this post is not clear to me: "So I ended the KDE session and dropped to a failsafe console, and ran mozilla-firefox from the command line" . . . How can you run Firefox outside X ?? . . . Are you sure it is the "failsafe-mode" you are in ?? What exactly did you do to "end the KDE session and drop to the failsafe console" ??Apparently X is still running somewhere ( see error message ) . . we only have to know where ;):P Bruno

I clicked the star in the left corner, selected "logout"I think the next screen had a box that said "End Session, Restart Computer, Shut Computer Down" or words to that effect.I selected "end session", and when the new login window came up, in the left lower corner was a box for "Session Type" I believe. It offered KDE, a few other installed windowing systems, and the last option was "failsafe" That is what I selected.And that is where I am now. B) :wacko:If it means anything, I noticed the prompt I'm getting in the console looked unusual. It is "[specmon@localhost ~] $

Edited by Specmon

And you managed to run Firefox from the failsafe terminal ?? I was not even aware that was possible . . . . Okay, can we get back to the "new login window" when you press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace ??Or seeing that you can start Firefox from there . . . . . . is it also possible to start "kcontrol" ?? And if so can you turn off the automatic login so we can have the "normal" login screen when you boot up ?If even that is not possible ( or giving any joy ) try to open ( as root ) "/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc" and change UseTheme=true to UseTheme=falseB) Bruno

I've got my system back!!!!! :D :D :D :teehee: :P B) made the changes in "kcontrol', i.e. Components/Session Manager/ shows: Start with an empty session, but that did not eliminate the failsafe mode, nor does it now start with an empty session (still logs me on automatically) now that it is fixed.It was a simple matter of the Ctrl+Alt+Backspce to break the logjam.and I changed UseTheme=true to false using vi and verified that the change was made by reading the file in Nautilus, but the system still logs me in auotmatically into KDE.Much happier, but how do I get rid of the auto login? Hopefully my son will be using this machine as much as I, the auto login no longer makes sense.

Hi TomWoooot ! . . . . Glad you have your system back under control :P . . . . Now the autologin issue, here is the config for it:MCC --> "Boot" --> "Enable autologin and select the user to automatically log in"And please be careful with the failsafe console, it is not really suited to play games but only to do rescue jobs. :PB) Bruno