Smplayer tip

abarbarian

I could not get smplayer to open up files in a 16.9 aspect as a default. I could change the aspect of a file through the usual options but this would only be for the file playing. start a new file and I would have to fiddle about again. This is a pain in the neck. I nearly always watch vids in full screen with no black borders at all. Yes I know doing this can cause some distortion but I have never found this to be a problem for my old eyes.

So I found a solution as below which works just fine.

6Rq0ivd.png

Hope it helps folks. :shifty:

securitybreach

I prefer to use its backend (mplayer) with the same switch (the rare times it is required) but glad to know that you are able to use cli switches on the gui frontend as well. :thumbup:

Took me some time and a few dead ends and lots of restarts of smplayer before I finally got there. After a fruitless serach in the smplayer files it dawned on me that sm was only a front end for mplayer. So I tried a few hunches but none worked.

Googling threw up the answer but it was buried in a lot of misdirection. Must have had nine or ten goes before I got to " -aspect 16.9 ". I'm guessing that is to be found in the mplayer man pages. Which if i was a tad more experienced I would have looked in first.Man pages still scare the stuffing out of me.

:breakfast:

I tried both suggestions and like I said man pages give me the willies.

I was looking for a solution to the fact that I can not take screen shots. So I tried,

man smplayer | grep screenshot

which gave me no output.Then I tried

man mplayer | grep screenshot
		  s (-vf screenshot only)
			   Take a screenshot.
		  S (-vf screenshot only)
			   Start/stop taking screenshots.
<standard input>:6316: warning [p 52, 13.7i, div `an-div', 0.0i]: cannot adjust line
   screenshot
		  Allows  acquiring screenshots of the movie using slave mode com‐
		  ration file.  Make sure that the screenshot filter is added  af‐
		  have an exact screenshot of what you see on the monitor.
			 -vf ass,screenshot
				  Moves SSA/ASS rendering before  the  screenshot  filter.
<standard input>:11483: warning [p 80, 24.7i, div `an-div', 0.0i]: cannot adjust line

Which does not make any sense to a mortal like me. I know that in smplayer you can use a keystroke or do it from the drop down menue. However the drop down menue is greyed out and the keystrokes do not work. I had a poke around in config files but could not see what was wrong. I'll have to come back to this at a later stage unless someone has a solution.

I found a " input.conf " at " /usr/share/smplayer " which contains

## prevent mplayer from messing up our shortcuts

RIGHT invalid_command

LEFT invalid_command

DOWN invalid_command

UP invalid_command

PGUP invalid_command

PGDWN invalid_command

- invalid_command

+ invalid_command

ESC invalid_command

ENTER invalid_command

SPACE pausing_keep invalid_command

HOME invalid_command

END invalid_command

> invalid_command

< invalid_command

INS invalid_command

DEL invalid_command

[ invalid_command

] invalid_command

{ invalid_command

} invalid_command

BS invalid_command

TAB invalid_command

. invalid_command

# invalid_command

@ invalid_command

! invalid_command

9 invalid_command

/ invalid_command

0 invalid_command

* invalid_command

1 invalid_command

2 invalid_command

q invalid_command

r invalid_command

s invalid_command

t invalid_command

T invalid_command

u invalid_command

v invalid_command

w invalid_command

x invalid_command

y invalid_command

z invalid_command

S invalid_command

So I guess that has something to do with my problem but it makes no sense to me. No screenshots is no biggie but it would be nice to have the function. Mind you you folks would get sick of me posting new wallpaper pics if I solve the problem. :Muahaha:

securitybreach

It is simple to take a screenshot in mplayer. First play the video with the -vf switch and the screenshot option:

$ mplayer -vf screenshot movie.avi

Then hit the s key to take a screenshot. If you want to enable the screenshot function by default, add vf=screenshot to ~/.mplayer/config.

I just did it and it worked beautifully

add vf=screenshot to ~/.mplayer/config.

I did that and it crashes smplayer. Several files just cause the player to not react and one file I tried gave a error message. :whistling:

securitybreach

I did that and it crashes smplayer. Several files just cause the player to not react and one file I tried gave a error message. :whistling:

Well I do not use smplayer but I just installed it and played a couple of files. It worked just fine although the screenshot function does not seem to work. Is there any reason you do you not want to use just mplayer?

securitybreach

What is the error you are getting and could you post your ~/.mplayer/config file?

This is the error log

/usr/bin/mplayer -noquiet -nofs -nomouseinput -vc ffh264vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,ffodivxvdpau, -lavdopts threads=2 -sub-fuzziness 1 -identify -slave -vo vdpau -ao alsa:device=hw=0.0 -nokeepaspect -hardframedrop -nodr -double -input nodefault-bindings:conf=/dev/null -stop-xscreensaver -wid 16777247 -monitorpixelaspect 1 -ass -embeddedfonts -ass-line-spacing 0 -ass-font-scale 1 -ass-styles /home/bloodaxe/.config/smplayer/styles.ass -fontconfig -font Arial -subfont-autoscale 0 -subfont-osd-scale 20 -subfont-text-scale 20 -subcp enca:en:ISO-8859-1 -subpos 100 -volume 40 -cache 2048 -osdlevel 0 -idx -noslices -channels 2 -af scaletempo,equalizer=0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 -softvol -softvol-max 110 -aspect 16:9 /home/bloodaxe/Downloads/T.Files.Fin/MEM0RIES (Katsuhiro Otomo-1995-extra) [DVDRip XviD-ITA ac3 JAP mp3-MultiSub] [skart]/MEM0RIES (Katsuhiro Otomo-1995) [DVDRip XviD-ITA ac3 JAP mp3] [skart].avi

parse error at line 11

An this is my mplayer config.

# Write your default config options here!

vo=vdpau

vc=ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,ffh264vdpau,ffodivxvdpau,

# Use this for a widescreen monitor, non-square pixels.

monitoraspect=16:9

vf=screenshot

Reason for smplayer is it is a GUI. me no do cli.

Mplayer has a GUI but you have to build it yourself.

All I want is a simple player with a couple of simple features.The smplayer site is not very informative.

I like Parole but it does not have all the features I want.

I may try this XT-7-player.

https://aur.archlinu...ges/xt7-player/

Thanks for all your efforts. :shifty:

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach

If you want a gui app, try VLC!!!

VLC will play anything and it is minimal but it also has a ton of functions built in (streaming etc.)

securitybreach

What are these?

vc=ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,ffh264vdpau,ffodivxvdpau

I do not use any of that on my config and it plays everything fine:

# Write your default config options here!
"ao=alsa"
vf=screenshot

vc=ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,ffh264vdpau,ffodivxvdpau

Ain't got a clue they were in the file.

I'm trialling that x-7-player, just installed it. Looks to be something I can get along with, maybe. There is screenshot function. Will it work ? Might be able to tell if I could find any xt-7-player folders or files apart fromthe ones mentioned in the package build.

Oh well onward and threshing about back in the mire. :breakfast:

http://i.imgur.com/tFnJQ9i.jpg

tFnJQ9il.jpg

Well I got a screenshot from xt-7. Tried with and without

vf=screenshot

An got a shot both ways, so I deleted it from the config. I'm liking xt-7. Now if only I could find its config file. That will have to be a hunt for tommorow. :shifty:

VLC yup it is a neat program and it can do loads of stuff but I ain't keen. Might give GMPlayer a go one day.Xt-7-player seems to fit the bill for me so I think I will give it a longer trial.

:shifty:

Guest LilBambi

Actually, Xt-7-player is just another GUI for MPlayer, like GMPlayer. And looks pretty nice from the Features page. GMPlayer has changed quite a bit from the last time I used it and not sure I like the direction it's gone.

Guest LilBambi

Oh, wait. I just didn't like the skins used for GMPlayer on the page. They have no screen shots like they used to. Wish they still had screenshots. Likely still just the great GMPlayer it always was.

Ta LiBambi. Knew it was just a frontend. That was what I was after.

Xt-7-player seems neat apart from the cruddy file choosing system. Early days in testing though and there may be a work around. I have not investigated the "library" feature yet which may be an answer. Apart from that it is looking a keeper. :breakfast:

Oh, wait. I just didn't like the skins used for GMPlayer on the page. They have no screen shots like they used to. Wish they still had screenshots. Likely still just the great GMPlayer it always was.

Or GraphicMinimalistic Player (GMPlayer) and GMPlayer ... although it looks to have changed a bit since I used it last.

Which GMPlayer are you talking about ? Or are they both the same thing ? :228823:

Guest LilBambi

I like that it doesn't automatically do the Library feature. I like a player only.

Seems to be the same thing but different skins maybe. LOL! Hard to tell without screenshots on the project pages over at sourceforge.

They tend to get slugged down when you add library features. I don't use the Library feature in Winamp either.

I hear you about library's. The Library feature in xt-7 is pants for me. The playlist feature will do very nicely as I tend to do anamie series though it is still a tad lacking in subtlty for me.

The ability for a screenshot function that works otb is great. Heres another one.

http://i.imgur.com/12vAbuo.jpg

12vAbuol.jpg

Ruorouni Kenshin.

:whistling:

I did think of a way to utilise the library. If like me you have several series on the go at once. You could have one folder as the library and one or several folders as playlists. One click folder opening instead of several.

Xt-7 seems to be light on resources. With me dual core running at 1 Ghz here is a screen shot, link brings up full size

http://i.imgur.com/ag8LaMq.png

ag8LaMql.png

:shifty: