English Language rants

V.T. Eric Layton

There's no such word as "irregardless."

wwweeelllllll, for USA English , yeah. It was one of those words the Websters changed (colour->color) or banned as being inefficient.

but for British English, it used to be a word, back in the late 17th to mid 18th centuries. (don't ask why I know this). As late as the 1990's some British Dictionaries still listed it , though they did say it was not correct/standard to use as when used the person saying it did not mean "keeping in mind".

V.T. Eric Layton

In today's 140 character, zero punctuation/capitalization, 30 nanosecond attention spans, no one will care.

thing is, i need to look at least twice when i see/hear irregardless to see what they really mean.

it is like people using the word literally literally all the time. irregardless of what they actually mean. and that aint right.

(the kerfuffle referred to above is indeed the systemd philosophical change)

Edited by crp
  • Like 2

Cluttermagnet

thing is, i need to look at least twice when i see/hear irregardless to see what they really mean.

it is like people using the word literally literally all the time. irregardless of what they actually mean. and that aint right.

(the kerfuffle referred to above is indeed the systemd philosophical change)

Tell it, dude- you da man! :whistling:

Amusing thread, BTW.

A shame that so many of our countrymen are, well, almost literally illiterates.

Did you know a lot of illiterates are actually texting each other now?

Well, I said 'almost'...

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Guest LilBambi

Some fonts on sites are like that when pasted in the forums.

I usually just highlight the pasted text, then use use the remove format icon (white/pink eraser) the inserted text. It makes it all the same font as usual for the forums, but doesn't take away the links.

V.T. Eric Layton

I just pasted from the original site. I didn't see what you were talking about size-wise because I always have a minimal font size restriction set in my browsers.

But I renamed it because it's not really an abuse of the English language, it's more bringing back an old deprecated word.

The problem is that it is no longer PC to correct a anyone's word usage. "Irregardless" is redundant but, like modifying the word "unique", it has become "socially acceptable." I still ask how something can be "very one of a kind"?

Another of my pet peeves is when people say "floundering", defined as "flopping around", when they mean "foundering", "breaking down" or "sinking in shallow water".

Edited by lewmur
  • Like 1