Imbed a script in email

lewmur

There is a poster in the Wilder's unix forum claiming he can embed a script in a email that if you read it in Thunderbird, can implant malware on, or otherwise damage, a Linux system. Is this possible?

Edited by lewmur

Is this possible?
Short answer: No !They have been trying this for years ** and there is not way to execute scripts automatically as root from a mail program or downloaded file . . . so one word: nonsense !B) Bruno** Because sure they would like to prove that Linux is as unsafe as Windows.

Just a bunch of idiots that start the discussion all over again . . . . . they will have to come up with a better thought out plan !There has been proof of concept malware they tested on Linux . . . and It was debunked every time again and again.B) Bruno

The discussion started there but it then moved here. It is toward the end of this thread that the claim was made.
A concern troll in action. B)

B) They never learn!One of the reasons I left Wilders, the so called experts... yeah, experts... :teehee: (BTW: don't get me wrong: there are indeed some very wise people over at Wilders, and indeed some experts. However, over the years that place has become a wannabee experts hang out (and that's where it becomes frustrating and mixing up) and a cheap manufacturers place of support imo.)

V.T. Eric Layton

Some of these so-called experts at these techy forums couldn't hack my Slackware system even if I GAVE THEM THE bleep.png ROOT PASSWORD! B)

Based on my lack of experience and those of posters in the eeepc forum, we can't figure out a lot of times how to get something to "execute" in linux. So how in the world could something run without my permission when something I want to run won't unless I open a terminal, switch to root and type the proper command in? Even then at times I can't get it to run. :lol:

V.T. Eric Layton

If you drink enough wine, you'll no longer care about your security... or anything else for that matter. hic3nj.gif

Some of these so-called experts at these techy forums couldn't hack my Slackware system even if I GAVE THEM THE bleep.png ROOT PASSWORD! :(
You know the definition of expert? "ex" is a has-been, and "spurt" is a drip under pressure. :(

V.T. Eric Layton

Talking about "experts" sometimes reminds me of when I was a young whipper-snapper just learning electronics back in the dark ages. I would run across a grizzled old veteran tech who still remembered what bakalite was or how to balance the final outputs of a tube-type RF amplifier. I'd ask him a question about the arcane arts and his response would invariably be, "Heh! Well, that's a trade secret, son." or "If I told you that, I'd have to kill you." or my all time favorite, "It's FM, son." I would reply, "FM?" And he'd say, "Yup. Fin' Magic." I learned as I grew older and wiser and actually became one of those grizzled old veteran component level techs that when "experts" are unwilling to share their knowledge freely and instead give silly evasive responses to your questions, it's because they're covering up their ignorance with bluster and humor, hoping that you will move on and annoy someone else. A true teacher or guru freely gives to anyone that which they have learned and experienced. And they're not afraid to admit that they don't know everything.I have great respect for the latter; little for the former.

Cluttermagnet
Talking about "experts" sometimes reminds me of when I was a young whipper-snapper just learning electronics back in the dark ages. I would run across a grizzled old veteran tech who still remembered what bakalite was or how to balance the final outputs of a tube-type RF amplifier. I'd ask him a question about the arcane arts and his response would invariably be, "Heh! Well, that's a trade secret, son." or "If I told you that, I'd have to kill you." or my all time favorite, "It's FM, son." I would reply, "FM?" And he'd say, "Yup. F<bleep>in' Magic." I learned as I grew older and wiser and actually became one of those grizzled old veteran component level techs that when "experts" are unwilling to share their knowledge freely and instead give silly evasive responses to your questions, it's because they're covering up their ignorance with bluster and humor, hoping that you will move on and annoy someone else. A true teacher or guru freely gives to anyone that which they have learned and experienced. And they're not afraid to admit that they don't know everything.I have great respect for the latter; little for the former.
Too bad you ran into that kind of tech, Eric. Clearly, your allusions are to HF radio transmitting gear. Amateur radio stuff mostly, in other words. Or could be marine or CB. So you must have worked in a radio repair shop at some point. Personally, I would have tried to help you to the limits of my capabilities, and referred you to more expert help if needed. I'm one of those guys who do know how to 'balance' ('neutralize') the final RF power amplifier stage in a radio transmitter that uses vacuum tubes. And boy, do I know bakelite. I have numerous and various radio parts cluttering my basement which have bakelite insulation. Steatite ceramic is better, BTW, but a lot of bakelite got used in the first half of the 1900's, mostly. Cheaper parts used bakelite- it was in millions of radios of all sorts, for most of the century. Many are still in use today.Remember the 'computer expert' sketches that used to play on SNL (Saturday Night Live on NBC)? I think at least 2 cast members played this annoying 'know it all' IT guy at the office at various times. He would bellow "move!" and take over a computer and fix it with a few key strokes. And everyone hated him, of course. He's a caricature of various real people out there. A lot of guys in those jobs are in over their heads, so they feel they have to BS and ridicule others when they are in danger of being exposed as marginally incompetent. (See also "Peter Principle"). :( :( Edited by Cluttermagnet

V.T. Eric Layton

@ Clutter... Yup. I was an RF/Audio tech for 20+ years... mostly commercial (business band), marine, and some consumer (2m, 10m, and 11m) radio. I worked on tube-type radios also, but most of my tube work was with stand alone linear RF amps and audio amps. I also specialized in mid-high end consumer audio. It's amazing how much of that stuff I've forgotten over the years. It's like a language... if you don't use it, you lose it. Ah... those were the days. @ colin.p... Urrrgggg! homer_drool.gif

I'm one of those guys who do know how to 'balance' ('neutralize') the final RF power amplifier stage in a radio transmitter that uses vacuum tubes. And boy, do I know bakelite.
Alas, I too am in an age group that knows how to do this (and did it). In fact in those days, the FCC amateur and commercial tests required you to actually draw a schematic of a final and show the neutralizing capacitor(s). Of course that was back when they actually had FCC personnel to administer the tests; not computer graded multiple choice stuff.But speaking of people who want to BS you: On my first electronics job, when I was working as an electronics tech, I asked an engineer about something, and he said "Do you understand Maxwell's equations?". Of course I didn't and neither did he, but when I admitted I did not, he said, "then I cannot explain it to you" . . . :( People have not changed; only the technology has; now it is inept people dealing with computers instead of vacuum tube RF amplifiers.Bill Edited by BillD

Alas, I too am in an age group that knows how to do this (and did it). In fact in those days, the FCC amateur and commercial tests required you to actually draw a schematic of a final and show the neutralizing capacitor(s). Of course that was back when they actually had FCC personnel to administer the tests; not computer graded multiple choice stuff.But speaking of people who want to BS you: On my first electronics job, when I was working as an electronics tech, I asked an engineer about something, and he said "Do you understand Maxwell's equations?". Of course I didn't and neither did he, but when I admitted I did not, he said, "then I cannot explain it to you" . . . :thumbsdown: People have not changed; only the technology has; now it is inept people dealing with computers instead of vacuum tube RF amplifiers.Bill
I got my 2nd Class Phone ticket in 1958. :'(

V.T. Eric Layton

Hey, Bill... we used to call engineers "train drivers". They didn't like that at all. ;)Old electronics joke:How many people does it take to design an electronic device?Five primary engineers, a staff of 15 support engineers, three technical writer engineers. a lead engineer, two company accountants, a vice president in charge of projects and... ...one competent technician to show them why their as-designed device can never work outside of their notes. :thumbsdown: