firefox running already

réjean

Does anyone know what to do when I log in Linux Mint and I try to open firefox I get a message that it is already running. Can I try something like

$ kill firefox

or something similar?

Probably

killall firefox

or

killall firefox-bin

In KDE you can open KSysGuard System Monitor to the Processes tab, right click on a process and select "End Process" Don't know about Mint.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

It's a corrupted .lock file in the Profile. You won't be able to kill it because it's not really running. It just thinks it is.

Read here --> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-already-running-not-responding?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Firefox+is+already+running+but+is+not+responding

This didn't work for me just recently. I had to delete my entire FF Profile directory and install a backup one. That fixed it. :)

Luck! :)

• Like 1

It's a corrupted .lock file in the Profile. You won't be able to kill it because it's not really running. It just thinks it is.

Yep, could be that too. I have had it running in the background but not visible. That is also mentioned on the page you linked .

• Like 2

Kind of. I have a /home for each distro and most of the time I reuse the one I have when I reinstall a new version.

Anyway I got rid of the ".mozilla" folder.

#rm -r .mozilla

so now I am replying from FF in Linux Mint ( making progress ) but I want to use a copy I have in PCLinuxOS. so I made a dir in /mnt and mounted PCLinuxOS but;

rejean-G41MT-S2PT rejean # cp /mnt/pclos/rejean/.mozilla /home
cp: omitting directory `/mnt/pclos/rejean/.mozilla'
rejean-G41MT-S2PT rejean # cp /mnt/pclos/rejean/.mozilla /home/
cp: omitting directory `/mnt/pclos/rejean/.mozilla'
rejean-G41MT-S2PT rejean #

what next?

These are my old notes when I had to kill Firefox in linux, if it is really running:

1. In a terminal type

ps -A

to get the process ID for firefox-bin

2. Type kill -9 followed by the process ID you found in step 1.

example: if the process ID is 2214, as it was in one of my listings, I'd type kill -9 2214

Thanks Liz. I just tried it in PCLinuxOS and it worked like a charm. Greatly appreciated!

Speaking of notes I started my 5th notebook of handwritten notes last week. I should have typed them and kept them on my storage partition because I couldn't find the " rm -r " command which I am sure I have saved a few times but when and in which notebook? Anyway thanks again!

Guest LilBambi

Instead of the profiles, you might want to save the .json (bookmarks) so you can import it if needed as you update your bookmarks. This is what I do. Then I don't have to save the profile.

There is also the Firefox Sync:

Any of the following can be synchronized with the Mozilla server:

* Bookmarks — including all tags, keywords, folders, and your custom menu order

* Passwords

* Preferences/Options of Firefox

* History of sites visited in the last 60 days

* Tabs and tab groups

* Add-ons installed on your computer or mobile device

I am sure you can choose what you want to sync.

I only since bookmarks and addons in Google Chrome.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, just set up Firefox Sync and was able to choose just bookmarks, addons, settings.

And it encrypts it on your computer before uploading it to the Firefox servers.

Thanks Fran!

I'll follow your advice next time about using the .json. I do use Firefox Sync in a few distros. I couldn't do it in LinuxMint because I couldn't even open it.

Well! I did installed LinuxMint Petra (version 16) and after some back and forth between it and my Mageia distro I managed to Sync my bookmarks and ff looks a lot better than the version 14 ( forgot the name).

0rdv.png

Thanks everyone. Next I'll have to fix Ubuntu which has a similar problem. Then I'll have 7 working distros.

Edited by réjean