Mandrake Move and USB stick

John Paul

How do I use my USB memory with Mandrake Live CD?I did enough exploring to find out that drives are in mmt/ but my USB memory stick doesnt show up there.Thank you,John

I don't know if that was just a typing mistake, but i'm thinking it's /mnt not /mmt.An icon doesn't popup on the desktop by any chance does it? It's been a long time since i used mandrake, but i thought it did that with cds and stuff. Any chance it does that with USB sticks?

How do I use my USB memory with Mandrake Live CD?I did enough exploring to find out that drives are in mmt/  but my USB memory stick doesn't show up there.Thank you,John
Hi John . . . . Welcome to the forum !The USB memory stick gets traditionally mounted under /mnt/removable . . . if you stick the memory in the USB and you type in a terminal/console:
ls /mnt/removable

you can see what is already written on the USB-stickIf you want to write to it ( usually you have to be root to do that but with Mandrake Move you can try if the user has permission too )

cp <test-file>  /mnt/removable

( Where you have to make a test-file in your /home first for this command to work )If the user can not write to it do "su" to become "root" ;)If you still have problems after this, let me know and I will come up with a few commands so we can see what is failing where, and what we can do to troubleshoot it. ;):) Bruno. . . . . Wishes.png

Edited by Bruno

How do I use my USB memory with Mandrake Live CD?I did enough exploring to find out that drives are in mmt/  but my USB memory stick doesnt show up there.Thank you,John
Welcome to the Forum, John Paul!Are you trying to use the USB stick for saving your settings/data in Mandrake Move? Or are you simply trying to access it?

Thanks for the replies everyone!***(QUOTE:)-------------------------Are you trying to use the USB stick for saving your settings/data in Mandrake Move? Or are you simply trying to access it?--------------------------I'm on a Windows system and would like to keep windows installed at least for the present, but it would be nice to have some space to work with while in Live CD (and I obviosly can't insert a CD-RW)... for saving a file from OpenOffice or anything else.Where would I save a file from a program to put it on the USB stick?Thanks again, and... Merry Christmas!John

Hi JohnAs you boot Mandrake Move you are prompted to make a "user" with a username . . . so once booted there will be a /home/john directory where you can save things. But they will only stay there for as long you are running, once you reboot or shutdown all what is in there will be lost.So, either you write what you saved in /home/john to the USB-key before you shutdown, or you use the USB key as your /home/john . . . . ( I will have to figure out how to do that, but I will update this post as soon as I have :) )B) Bruno. . . . . Wishes.png

Edited by Bruno

Okay... Thank you.And is there any way to install FireFox on the USB stick so I can use it on MandrakeMove? I have the .gz file for linux.Thank you,John

Edited by John Paul

Hi JohnHere is the trick: You plug in the key, and then boot, but if you press F1 at the very first screen when booting the live CD ( it is blue :) ) you will see the options you have for using the USB key:cleankey deletes all previous data from keyformatkey formats the key B)waitkey wait 15 seconds to detect the key( there is more text then I can remember of the top of my head :cat: )Now what you do is: at the bottom there is a prompt where you can type something, you ALWAYS add "linux" . . so:linux waitkeyAnd then it boots using your key as /home so all the settings ( wallpaper, size taskbar etc. etc. . . . but also the .doc's and .txt files you make will be on the USB key and available the next time you boot.You might have to linux formatkey the first time you use it to be sure Linux can use it ;)Have FUN !!:cat: Bruno. . . . . Wishes.png

Edited by Bruno

I tried booting with the "linux formatkey" option, then with the "linux waitkey" option but I still can't access the memory stick... :ermm: Any ideas?Thank you for all your help,John

Hi JohnI guess that is because your /home/john is then your USB-key . . so all you would store in there would automatically be on the key.Try this: boot with the key, make a file . . any file, a .doc a .txt a .jpg mp3 . . anything . . . and save it to your /home/johnThen reboot . . and if the file is still there after the reboot, you know for sure it was stored on the USB-key !! ( so all you save to /home/john will be on the key ! ):ermm: Bruno. . . . . Wishes.png

Edited by Bruno

That could very well be the case . . . but allow me to do a few tests:Please reboot WITHOUT the key plugged in . . . then when fully booted open a terminal/console* ( dos-window ) and do:

sulsusb

( LSUSB in small characters :ermm: )Then plug in the key and do again:

lsusb

And post me what you see in the terminalB) Bruno. . . . . Wishes.png* You will find the console in: Menu --> All Applications --> System --> Terminals --> Konsole

Edited by Bruno

hi,I downloaded Mandrake Move and it does not search for any USB key. Is the download version different from the one which comes bundled with the key? Has anyone purchased the boxed version?thanks..

I have the download version too . . and here is what I found:Once booted from CD with the USB key in . . there is an icon on the desktop called "Hard Disk" . . . that is the USB-key ! . . you can write to it and copy files to it as "user" ( drag and drop from /home ) . . . it is called "/mnt/windows" ( because the key is formatted FAT . . . I have no windows on that system )So: it does not replace your /home . . . but you can save files to it ;):ermm: Bruno. . . . . Wishes.png

Edited by Bruno

WITHOUT THE USB STICK:----------------------------------------Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000----------------------------------------WITH THE USB STICK:----------------------------------------Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000-----------------------------------------A floppy works fine, you just can't fit much on one.John

Edited by John Paul

Hi JohnThat does look rather hopeless on the lsusb . . . . . indeed your USB stick is really not Linux compatible . . . I am very sorry !:D Bruno. . . . . Wishes.png

Have you verified that your USB stick works on other computers? I have one bad one in my stack of them..... Also, is it a regular USB stick or a secure stick? I just hotplugged two different ones into my laptop and both showed up when I ran ls from /mnt/removables/ without any problems. I installed from the DVD on this one because I had problems with the boxed set and the configuration for my screen. :D Mine does not show a link on the desktop.Did you install hotplug when you installed your distro? I always do that. Nevermind, I see you are running the live version.

Edited by teacher

hi all,Is Mandrake Move supposed to load the profile from the USB stick automatically? Afterall, Saving /home/user on a USB can be done in knoppix or any other USB based storage...

I am afraid another distro will give you the same results, Linux compatability is the mostly the same in every distro. Some do include extra drivers for Win-Modems, but that is as far as it goes. :(Buying another stick is your only option. ;):thumbsup: Bruno

Edited by teacher

A Lexar ?? . . Well, now, that is funny I had 2 of those . . . and they were 100% identical, but guess what, one worked on Linux and the other one refused to work ! And I still do not know why. Both did work on Windows, so I sold mine to a neighbor who only uses Windows and he is happy with it :DI did all kind of tests with them, stick both in at the same time, reformat them Ext3, reformat them back to FAT . . nothing helped. I still use the other one and it does a great job, but the second one: I never got any joy out of it !After that I decided to never buy a Lexar again . . . ( I get Dane-Elec sticks now :hmm: );) Bruno. . . . . Wishes.png

Edited by Bruno

Bruno I think that must be the luck of the draw. I have one bad stick out of the bunch. I just did a double check and it is a micro-Advantage. My good sticks are of different varieties and most are no longer legible as far as the producer. I have not heard of Dane-Elec. It must be European only. B)

Hi AgentI would go for PCLos and drop M Move . . . it has a much better USB support and a desktop icon to set up the USB key for storing settings.Also it has far more programs by default and a HD installer B) . . . it is an absolute HIT !! ;)Sandisk should be supported. ( http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=3016 )Get PCLos here: ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributi...nuxos-NV-p8.isoB) Bruno. . . . . Wishes.png

Edited by Bruno

Agent,You have to see it to believe it ! Really, it has twice as much programs by default AND all browser plugins ( Java, flash, mplayer-plugin, real-player all of them ) by default AND the Nvidia display drivers by default . . . . it is an absolute revolution ! Based on Mandrake, but uses synaptic as package manager for the HD install ;)Here is the homepage: http://www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos/It is made by Texstar, one of the TOP developers from the early days of Mandrake.All critics on all web-based media are raving about this distro . . . and they are right because it is a real marvel !B) Bruno. . . . . Wishes.png

Edited by Bruno