Issue with makepkg after installing yaourt

ichase

As I am moving along, I went back to Josh's Arch install tutorial. DL the yaourt.tar.gz file from the link provided and extracted it. Extracted fine CD to yaourt directory and see 2 files PKGBUILD and yaourt.installRun more yaourt.install and more PKGBUILD.I then run makepkg and get the following error:

[ichase@myhost yaourt]$ makepkg==> ERROR: You do not have write permission to store packages in /home/ichase/yaourt.	Aborting...[ichase@myhost yaourt]$

So of course if I run yaourt -Syu --aur it says yaourt command not found. I read this about 10 times as well as trying different search criterias on the Arch forum with nothing about this particular issue. Is there a config file I am supposed to be editing with file permissions?Figure this will be a piece of cake, just can't find an answer or I am not using the correct search criteria.Thanks,Ian

securitybreach

I am not for sure why you got that error but there is a much easier way to install yaourt. You need to add the mirror first to install/use yaourt. Open up /etc/pacman/conf and add this at the bottom:

[archlinuxfr] Server = http://repo.archlinux.fr/$arch

Then run:

#pacman -Sy yaourt

Also, post this as user

ls -al ~

so I can look at your permissions.

Josh,You of course were correct, That was much easier. :)Here is the out put of ls -al ~/

[root@myhost ichase]# ls -al ~/total 9692drwxr-x---  5 root   root	  4096 Feb 12 10:17 .drwxr-xr-x 20 root   root	  4096 Feb 12 08:02 ..-rw-------  1 root   root	  2405 Feb 13 04:59 .bash_historydrwxr-xr-x  5   1102   1102	4096 Jan  6  2008 broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5-rw-r--r--  1 root   root   3888794 Jan  3  2010 broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2drwxr-xr-x  4 ichase ichase	4096 Feb 19  2009 broadcom-wl-4.178.10.4-rw-r--r--  1 root   root   5986780 Feb 19  2009 broadcom-wl-4.178.10.4.tar.bz2drwx------  2 root   root	  4096 Feb 12 10:17 .kde4-rw-------  1 root   root		 0 Feb 12 09:47 .Xauthority-rw-r--r--  1 root   root	  2018 Feb 12 08:57 xorg.conf.new[root@myhost ichase]#

Though, the next question is, what exactly am I seeing from this output?Also, when I put an alias in my .bashrc file of "ya" I get bash ya command not found. Here is my .bashrc

[root@myhost ichase]# cat .bashrc# Check for an interactive session[ -z "$PS1" ] && return#alias ls='ls --color=auto'PS1='[\u@\h \W]\$ 'alias ya='yaourt -Syu --aur'[root@myhost ichase]#

Thanks,All the best,Ian

Edited by ichase

securitybreach

Glad you got it working. :)~ means the /home of the user logged in so doing # ls -al ~/ means ls -al /rootnot ls -al /home/ichaseAlso, it is suggested to not build packages as root since only install them as root. This for security and also some packages will not be correctly as root since they are looking for /usr/local or /usr/share files.BTW I found out that you can use:

yaourt -Syua
instead of:
yaourt -Syu --aur

Glad you got it working. :thumbsup:~ means the /home of the user logged in so doing # ls -al ~/ means ls -al /rootnot ls -al /home/ichaseAlso, it is suggested to not build packages as root since only install them as root. This for security and also some packages will not be correctly as root since they are looking for /usr/local or /usr/share files.BTW I found out that you can use:instead of:
Another great tip Josh, thanks a bunch. Do you know why though my alias is not working?Ian

securitybreach

Because that is root's alias. You did the same thing when editing your ~/.bashrc as you did before. :thumbsup: You need to do this as the user not root. Yaourt does not run as root anyway.

[root@myhost ichase]# cat .bashrc# Check for an interactive session[ -z "$PS1" ] && return#alias ls='ls --color=auto'PS1='[\u@\h \W]\$ 'alias ya='yaourt -Syu --aur'[root@myhost ichase]#

Because that is root's alias. You did the same thing when editing your ~/.bashrc as you did before. :thumbsup: You need to do this as the user not root. Yaourt does not run as root anyway.
Well for all it's worth, I am very good at learning from my mistakes and not making the same mistake twice. Thanks for pointing that out Josh. :thumbup:All the best,Ian

securitybreach
Well for all it's worth, I am very good at learning from my mistakes and not making the same mistake twice. Thanks for pointing that out Josh. :thumbup:All the best,Ian
I know you are buddy, its a simple mistake. :thumbsup: :(