I switched to F-Prot Antivirus

Robert

I couldn't find much online data about F-Prot antivirus, from FRISK software in Iceland, but it looked alright and was cheap. It was passing the few tests I could find online the same as Norton.It is $50 for a commercial 10 user license, $4 for each additional user. Home user price is $29 which covers all your home computers.Anyway, while researching this I found out the PC Magazine review of AV products was not only limited, but outright deception. They claim to be reviewing Norton Anti-Virus 2004, but were in fact basing much of it on a German review done in December 2002 on the Corporate Edition. What a lie.I first ran into problems with the NAV 2004 making 10,000 extra files on two different computers that have only run NAV in the past. It really slowed them down. One runs Win2000, the other WinXP. The WinXP machine got NAV as part of the Norton Internet Security program and that was quite a disaster. After a nasty lockup when testing a Limited user account I deleted the program and reinstalled NIS 2003. It was simply costing the small company I work for too much time and money to deal with the 2004 versions. We don't have time to be Symantec beta testers. If the limited users accounts are unavailable then the work does not get done during the day. I simply do not have the time to research all these problems and then *try* to fix everything. My response can only be delete the problem and find a different program that works from the start.With more computers needing updating of licenses I found the F-Prot program and have already loaded two computers with it. For the firewalls I installed Zone Alarm Pro. And so my question. What does everyone think of F-Prot? Was it a good choice? If it turns out bad I'm only out $50 so far on it.Robert

Guest LilBambi

Haven't tried F-Prot Windows desktop version, but I use their DOS (manual scan only), and their Linux versions.I really like F-Prot alot.There are more comments on NAV2004 and F-Prot within the last week in this Networking and Security Forum. B)

And so my question. What does everyone think of F-Prot? Was it a good choice?
I am also sick of NAV. But, i rarely use windows anymore.I've heard good things about F-Prot. If it's working for you, and you are happy with it, it was a good choice :D

Guest genaldar

F-prot is junk. It's on all the laptops here at school (1500, we lease them) and I know of over a dozen computers that have been hit with viruses. Not a horribly bad number but all 12 of them are friends of mine with me in their address book. I've been infected 0 times because I wiped out f-prot and put on a copy of NAV 2003. It also slows the system less than f-prot. Besides since you can still downloads virus updates for 2003 I'd suggest sticking with that instead of 2004 or f-prot.

F-prot is junk.  It's on all the laptops here at school (1500, we lease them) and I know of over a dozen computers that have been hit with viruses.  Not a horribly bad number but all 12 of them are friends of mine with me in their address book.  I've been infected 0 times because I wiped out f-prot and put on a copy of NAV 2003.  It also slows the system less than f-prot.  Besides since you can still downloads virus updates for 2003 I'd suggest sticking with that instead of 2004 or f-prot.
I don't think they have it properly setup.Also F-prot is one of the easiest AV packages on your system resources.No drain while NAV has become a hog.I also like updating F-prot without reboots.I've been running F-prot for a while now and that was the best decision I made for switching from NAV to F-prot.I haven't been hit with any virus and/or worms.I have a friend who had NAV installed and after he brought up computer to store for fixing, they told him it was full of viruses and nothing was wrong with it.So as you can see Robert, YMMV, your milage may vary.Your AV is only as good as if it is installed properly, updated as frequently as possible and still not 100% safe.Go with two versions, thee are free AV packages out there so if one miss the virus, you can catch it with second AV.Also beside AV it is good to have software firewall such as Zone Alarm as it is double protection.In case worm or trojan hits you, firewall will warn you about it trying to connect on internet.