Incremental back up?

marcos9999

Many free ware will do image and back up but I need something that will create an image of my entire hard drive and keep it updated...incrementally, what software does that? I know Retrospect does but it's kind of expensive. Any other alternative?Thanks

James M. Fisher

Acronis TrueImage will do this as will Norton Save & Restore. I highly recommend Acronis; for $49.99, it's a great value considering your data is priceless. :w00t:

Edited by James M. Fisher

Guest LilBambi
Acronis TrueImage will do this as will Norton Save & Restore. I highly recommend Acronis; for $49.99, it's a great value considering your data is priceless. ;)
Great program James!

I have a question about the Acronis product. Does it have a provision to delete the current image with a new image automatically? For example, I am still using a defunct product (Disk Image from PQ--Now republished as Norton Ghost). I am saving my image (about 25 GB on an external hard drive and have it set up so that as soon as a new image is created, the old one is deleted. This way you do need to have 2X the image space available but no more. I have mine set to create a new image every other day.

James M. Fisher

Hi Bob, nice to see you here! Yours is a good question. I allow TI to do incremental images of my C: partition weekly, then every other month or so I do a full backup.I also back my files up separately to a 4GB mini-drive.Some info from the TI Home site about a new feature of v10:"Ensure that you never run out of space by setting limits on the amount of space allocated for backups, the number of backups and the amount of time you keep backups. The application will automatically manage backups and provide space for new backups."I searched for this feature and here's a screen cap:http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f330/xra...onis_backup.jpgYou may want to download the 15-day trial so you can explore all the options yourself.http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/

Edited by James M. Fisher

keep it updated...incrementally
Though I have a copy of it, but have not used it yet, Acronis is what is often recommended when given the choice between it and Ghost. Backup4all is another app I have used in the past with good results. They offer a free 30 day trial, and after that it's $29.95 to keep the Standard edition, which BTW is supported by Vista (FWIW). The GUI is very easy to understand and use.Either way you go, as James noted, your GBs of data is worth far more than the price, even at $50.

Having used Ghost and True Image, I'd cast my vote for True Image. I should have looked at this sooner. I currently have Ghost on one computer and True Image on another.