Mandriva 2006 : Lost KDE keyboard

Trex78

Hello everybody,I was working on an Open Office document when the keyboard went dead, but the mouse was still working.Saved my doc, closed the session, and found that password typing worked OK to start a new session, and <Ctrl><Alt>F1 couid open a console session. So, no hardware problem.Then, back to KDE, and still no keyboard :thumbsup: ...Now reboot the system, Grub menu works well, session login allright, but it's all the same once in KDE :pirate: So, opened a Gnome session : surprise, all works well. (Time to start using Gnome ? :hysterical: )I created a new user, it has no keyboard problem in KDE.Opened the same OpenOffice document in was working with, no problem.So, it seems to be somewhere in KDE config for my primary user, but I don't know where, and what to search.Looking in the /var/log files, nothing caught my eyes. Compared .xsession-errors from th two users, nothing.Configuration :Mandriva Free 2006Kde 3.4.2 (If I remember this well, I'm now typing with Gnome)OpenOffice.org 2.0.3 (Maybe it's the culprit ? )System updated one week ago (Or maybe two, I forgot, but no more).An fresh update might solve the problem, but I'd like to understand what happened.So if somebody can help ...

Hi TrexI think the solution is rather simple . . . but it might involve tweaking the desktop settings for KDE again.Basically you do this ( while logged in to Gnome ):

$ mv  /home/trex78/.kde  /home/trex78/BACKUP-kde

Next you log out of Gnome and log in to KDE . . . . now first test if this cured the keyboard . . chances are it has ;) . . . . . Now because we made a backup of the old .kde directory you can copy back the bookmarks and important stuff ( mail & addresses from Kmail ? ), so nothing is really lost.Now, imagine that this did not cure the keyboard, please post again and we will try another trick . . . . . and restore the original .kde directory :):) Bruno

Hi Bruno,As I expected, you found the solution. Renaming this directory did the trick, I am now back to KDE.As you told, there is a lot of work to get my tweakings back. I'm glad to have written down all of them (At least I expect it's really all ;) ) .Maybe I'll try to compare old files and new ones to find what has been corrupted.Anyway, many thanks for this quick answer. :)

Edited by Trex78

Yep I know it is a bit a rough solution and you have a lot of work restoring the tweaks . . . . but it is the only one sure to work :)What you can do to avoid future re-tweaks is: once all is set up the way you like it make a backup of the .kde directory ( for example call it .kde-OK ) so next time the a config in the .kde gets corrupted you only have restore the backup : ;) :) Bruno

Hello,I restored most of the tweakings by simply renaming all directories and files found in BACKUP-kde, and not present in the new .kde directory, appending "DIFF" to their name.The idea was to locate where it hurts.This is a bit tedious, but after switchig directories, all was OK. I then restored some I knew I needed (k3b, kaffeine, ... ) and it still works well.Some day, maybe; I'll try to understand what is failing by reactivating the others one by one B) Luckily, all I kept is OK, else it would have been more complicated as probably, config files are dependant on each other.But this way, I (almost) easily recovered most of the tweaks. :D Oh, the regenerated .kde has a problem : kded refuses to start. Maybe due to a missing (and empty in the "old") /share/services/kded directory ? I' try this one day too ...Hope it's the end of the story. Thanks again.

Hi TrexGlad you could restore most of your stuff . . Try restoring the .kde/share/config/kdedrc from the backup ;)B) Bruno