Ubuntu 13.10 released

securitybreach

securitybreach

I personally dislike Ubuntu (and Canonical) but I know a lot of you all do use it so I figured I post this.

Canonical, the sponsor of Ubuntu, has announced the release of version 13.10 of Ubuntu. The company said in a statement that this is the first true mobile release of Ubuntu that delivers the streamlined core OS and mobile user interface that pave the way for full device convergence and create a unique platform for modern computing.

Rick Spencer of Canonical said, “This is a milestone in computing history. The exact same Ubuntu OS runs on ARM phones and modern HP Moonshot ARM servers, and provides exactly the same capability as x86 platforms. Ubuntu 13.10 is a full server-grade OS that offers a mobile experience and is lean enough to support mobile devices, kicking off a new era in mobile security and computing convergence.”...

http://www.muktware.com/2013/10/ubuntu-13-10-released/15051

• Like 1

Cluttermagnet

Truly impressive, but they lost me to Mint a wile back. No hard feelings- I learned a lot with Ubuntu. Now they are a bit too 'whiz bang' for me. Mint affords a reliable and competent desktop experience with a Debian distro and handles either powerful or dated hardware. A lot to like in Mint.

• Like 1

Cluttermagnet

I guess I'm forever new. The ol' brain is slower to absorb new info. I guess I have early onset Weisenheimers Dementia or whatever... ;)

• Like 1

"Ubuntu 13.10 Reviews Roundup" -- http://www.itworld.c...reviews-roundup

Still running 12.04 LTS here; I'll pass on 13.10, looking forward to 14.04 LTS.

As soon as anyone mentions Ubuntu, folks always come out and start taking shots (I guess that's how you can tell that it's still Linux :harhar: ); yet it continues to be one of the most solid, dependable distros I run here. LTS releases, at least -- I don't go for the in-between releases. Haven't installed Linux Mint since Mint 9 -- I lost interest -- but I do want to take a look at a live session of Mint 16 when it comes out, just to check out Cinnamon 2.0.

I have to admit I'm a Linux Mint devotee as well. When it first came out I thought it was just a dumbed down version of Ubuntu but Mint's development of Cinnamon for new hardware and support of MATE for old has won me over. I don't need to learn a new interface like Gnome Shell or Unity either. Both Cinnamon and MATE give me that old time Windows 2000 feel - with nice eye candy. My wife loves it too.

Sometimes you just want something that just works. I'd be sticking with LTS if it weren't for the fact that new kernels give continuous improvement in the FOSS Radeon driver.

Xubuntu does a nice version of XFCE - I'll grant you that. And if you like KDE Mageia 3 is top notch if you don't mind rpm software management. They still have the best Control Center.

"Ubuntu 13.10 Reviews Roundup" -- http://www.itworld.c...reviews-roundup

Still running 12.04 LTS here; I'll pass on 13.10, looking forward to 14.04 LTS.

As soon as anyone mentions Ubuntu, folks always come out and start taking shots (I guess that's how you can tell that it's still Linux :harhar: ); yet it continues to be one of the most solid, dependable distros I run here. LTS releases, at least -- I don't go for the in-between releases. Haven't installed Linux Mint since Mint 9 -- I lost interest -- but I do want to take a look at a live session of Mint 16 when it comes out, just to check out Cinnamon 2.0.

I think that the problem many people here in BATL have with Ubuntu is that it is aimed at the "casual user" rather than experienced Linux gurus. I don't use Ubuntu personally but I'd have no problem at all recommending it to that "casual user" who's tired of jumping through hoops for Redmond. I think that it would actually be easier use for the XP users, being abandoned by MS, than Win 8.

I'm trying out the new 13.10 right now but have already encountered a "deal breaking" problem. VirtualBox no longer sees any of my USB devices. That means I can't use my Magic Jack dongle or connect directly to my USB sticks.

securitybreach

I have a major ethical issue with Ubuntu/Canonical and it has nothing at all to do with being geared towards the casual user. I absolutely love and always suggest LinuxMint to beginners but I would not suggest Ubuntu to an enemy. Of course this only my opinion and should be taken as such.

I have a major ethical issue with Ubuntu/Canonical and it has nothing at all to do with being geared towards the casual user. I absolutely love and always suggest LinuxMint to beginners but I would not suggest Ubuntu to an enemy. Of course this only my opinion and should be taken as such.

I understand you have issues with Ubuntu's founder but personally I think he's a saint compared to Ballmer and Gates. o:) Edited by lewmur

securitybreach

I understand you have issues with Ubuntu's founder but personally I think he's a saint compared to Ballmer and Gates. o:)

I am not referring to just him but their business practices and attitudes towards opensource in general. I give Canonical 5 years or less before they will become a proprietary company.

I am not referring to just him but their business practices and attitudes towards opensource in general. I give Canonical 5 years or less before they will become a proprietary company.

IBM is a "proprietary company", but they still do a lot to support the opensource community. I don't see anything evil in making money. What I object to are "patent trolls" that use govts to maintain an advantage over their competition. And so long as Ubuntu is helping to loosen MS's strangle hold on the PC business, I'm all for 'em. Edited by lewmur
  • Like 1

securitybreach

The difference between IBM and Canonical is that IBM contributes money to open source projects that help the entire open source community instead of distancing themselves away from Linux while still using Linux as their base.

These are mostly my opinions and there are arguments for and against them but I can foresee this as trying to distance themselves from Linux and OpenSource:

• Canonical does their own thing and are not concerned with giving back to the community as a whole.
  • They create needless forks like Unity, Mir, Bzr, Upstart, AppArmor, etc. instead of contributing to existing projects that the majority of users use.
  • Selling out their users to Amazon (opt in by default) instead of allowing their users to choose if they wanted to participate in Amazon's data mining.
  • Not contributing upstream to Debian very much even though they use debian unstable as their base: http://debian-handbo...ect.ubuntu.html

• Like 2

I think that the problem many people here in BATL have with Ubuntu is that it is aimed at the "casual user" rather than experienced Linux gurus.

Linux Mint is also aimed at the new and/or casual Linux user, but in that case, it doesn't seem to be a problem for folks here at BATL.

Oh, well. I may not be a guru like some of you other folks, but at this point, I guess I'm an experienced Linux user -- and, one who admits to using Ubuntu! :laugh:

Most of the things that bother other people about Ubuntu/Canonical/Shuttleworth don't bother me at all. But, then, most of those other people don't even run Ubuntu. I do. Hey, I run several good distros here, and IMHO, overall Ubuntu is as nice as any of 'em. It's just Linux, to me -- it works and I can pretty much do whatever I want to do with it.

What I've read so far about 13.10 has me looking forward to a few good years using 14.04!

• Like 1

securitybreach

I was not trying to be rude, I have my reasons for the dislike but that is the beauty of Linux and opensource; Freedom of choice :) B)

I suppose like many new penguins, I started out with Ubuntu. I learned a lot about Linux from it, because back in the Dapper Drake era it had limited wifi support and required a lot of manual setup to use wifi with WPA. Also in those days getting proprietary graphics and MP3 / video decrypting support was also a fun task.

I did OK with Ubuntu up until Dell started installing a non-standard version of 8.10 Intrepid Ibex on their very Linux unfriendly Mini10 and Mini12 netbooks. When Dell stopped making these machines they dropped support for the kludgy Ubuntu 8.10 and left me with no video upgrade option until Intel finally fixed matters in Ubuntu 12.04 - at least as far as 2D performance is concerned.

These netbooks still don't run 3D graphics well, and since the Unity interface requires it, they are essentially useless with Ubuntu. Xubuntu works OK if you stay with 12.04 LTS and I haven't tried any more upgrades.

I realize that you can't lay the whole GMA500 mess at the feet of Ubuntu but the fact remains they collaborated with Intel/Dell knowing that there could be no upgrade path given their future plans to introduce Unity.

Add that to the fact that I don't really like the Unity Interface and I was more than happy to go with Linux Mint. At least LM gives you a fallback (MATE) if you don't want to or can't run the 3D based Cinnamon.

I agree with SB's points about Ubuntu. However the main reason I gave up on it was that it just didn't work properly for me, mainly installation issues.

• Like 1

I was not trying to be rude, I have my reasons for the dislike but that is the beauty of Linux and opensource; Freedom of choice :) B)

Yeah. You have to add your user to the "group" file with every new install. It just slipped my feeble mind this time.

• Like 1

I understand you have issues with Ubuntu's founder but personally I think he's a saint compared to Ballmer and Gates. o:)

Using that logic. Comparing Hitler to Joe Stalin, Hitler must be due for a pair of wings then. :harhar:

I have a major ethical issue with Ubuntu/Canonical and it has nothing at all to do with being geared towards the casual user. I absolutely love and always suggest LinuxMint to beginners but I would not suggest Ubuntu to an enemy.

And this is why I'd prefer to suggest trying live sessions of various distros, or taking a long look at DistroWatch or something. That way my own biases and opinions don't get in the way; the next person might absolutely love a distro that I can't stand.

• Like 1

securitybreach

And this is why I'd prefer to suggest trying live sessions of various distros, or taking a long look at DistroWatch or something. That way my own biases and opinions don't get in the way; the next person might absolutely love a distro that I can't stand.

True but my point was not about just disliking a distro. There are tons of distros that I do not care for but this is for a different reason.

True but my point was not about just disliking a distro. There are tons of distros that I do not care for but this is for a different reason.

I guess I'm missing something, then. If you have "a major ethical issue with Ubuntu/Canonical" then why love and suggest Linux Mint, which uses Ubuntu's package base?

Edited by saturnian

securitybreach

I guess I'm missing something, then. If you have "a major ethical issue with Ubuntu/Canonical" then why love and suggest Linux Mint, which uses Ubuntu's package base?

And they all use Debian as their base.. Just because you use a distro for your package base doesn't mean that you are part of the distro. I mentioned my issues with Canonical/Ubuntu above. I wasnt trying to start an argument, I was expressing my opinions.

Sorry, securitybreach, I'm not trying to argue, either. I know that there are people who have issues with Ubuntu/Canonical/Shuttleworth, and who won't use the Ubuntu-based Mint for that reason.

Edited by saturnian
  • Like 1

securitybreach

Sorry, securitybase, I'm not trying to argue, either. I know that there are people who have issues with Ubuntu/Canonical/Shuttleworth, and who won't use the Ubuntu-based Mint for that reason.

Well I normally suggest the Debian based LMDE but I like both of them and LM's philosophy.

Back when I had Linux Mint installed here (the last time was with Mint 9), its Synaptic had the "Mark All Upgrades" button removed, which kinda irritated me (although I eventually found a work-around) because I preferred to use Synaptic instead of Mint's package management tools. Anyone know if they ever put that button back in?

I had a few other (minor) issues with Mint, which I had been running since Mint 4.0 (Daryna), but probably the main reason I stopped using it was because I was also running Ubuntu; There didn't seem to be anything in Mint that I actually wanted that I couldn't get in Ubuntu. Same with Kubuntu -- I liked that distro as well, but I knew I could add KDE to Ubuntu if I wanted that (I'd done it a few times).

I thought Mint was great, though.

I liked Cinnamon (I've never been interested in MATE), which I ran for awhile in Fedora. I'm planning on downloading Linux Mint 16 when it comes out so I can run it live and take a look at Cinnamon 2.0. And then maybe I'll add Cinnamon to Ubuntu 14.04 next year. :yes:

Article: "Everything Wrong With Ubuntu" -- http://ostatic.com/b...ong-with-ubuntu

As often happens, the comments following the article are at least as interesting and thought-provoking as the article itself.

Most of the comments make more sense than the article.

I like this quote - "Ubuntu is a system being built for people who have zero interest in their operating system" and it's interesting that they make comparisons with Mac OSX. In just the last week I have seen Mac using friends:

- open 30 photos in separate windows to show me. Does it have a photo viewer? Not known to this user.

- fail to understand how to drag a folder full of audio files in to VLC's playlist window.

- restart a wireless router 5 times because the internet dropped out. I advised him to "turn it off and on again" (the Mac) and it connected straight away.

Computers need to make it easier for people who "have zero interest in their operating system" like my friends. Not so in these instances.

In my humble opinion, the closest thing to a user friendly desktop currently is KDE. (sunrat dons tinfoil hat to avoid flames :whistling: ) But you still have to learn stuff. There's an old saying "Computers only do what you tell them to do, not what you want them to do". Sometimes I think there should be a licence to drive computers, similar to cars. ;)

• Like 1

securitybreach
Sometimes I think there should be a licence to drive computers, similar to cars. ;)

I have been saying that for years.... B)