Interesting email from my ISP

GolfProRM

I just received a very interesting email from my ISP. They said that we're getting increased bandwidth! Instead of the 2megabit cap we've got now, it'll be increasing to 3megabits! :thumbsup: We're not getting a price increase or anything... Just more bandwidth!!!I have cable internet signed up from a local company that's selling TimeWarner cable access... I guess TW's bills are going up, but our's aren't (I already pay $7/mo less than I would by going through TW directly). How cool is this!??! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Guest LilBambi

That's great Ryan! Very cool! :w00t: Now let's wait and see how long the price stays the same ... let us know if it stays the same in 6 months :thumbsup: You know how they love to do those little hooks before they up the price. I really hope that is not the case this time ... maybe I am just being a little cynical here ... nevermind LOL! :w00t:

3mb/s ~~~~ DROOL~~~~~ :w00t: is there any monthly cap? about half of DSL ISPs in canada have it (ranging from ridiculous 2GB/month to 10GB/month, upload & download combined), so i stick to the non-limited ISPs, and tell an ISP that changes to impose a limit that its the main reason for leaving them. everyone in canada, start doing that! if you have Sympatico, leave them (they started it) and go to Primus which has no limit and offers nationwide coverage. together, we can stop the trend.about bandwith, most have either 1.5mb or 3mb service, but they have different prices. i'm only paying $25/month for 1.5mb/s, and for $55, i could get 3mb/s, but i cant justify the huge price increase. but as a bonus, my upload bandwith increased from 16kb/s to 32 kb/s with no price increase, and helps when i upload big files to my website. hey, its a start. :thumbsup:edit: sorry to all dial-up users reading this. i read back this post i wrote and 'complaining' about only 10GB/month transfer, and wanting 3mb/s instead of 1.5mb/s, well, i'm sorry to all you 56k users out there. my apologies. :thumbsup:

No caps here... Of course being in the middle of the US, we were near the end of the "digital revolution," so we've only had broadband access for about 2.5 years here in Lincoln... I've never noticed any slowdown on our cable, so it's not very widely used yet here either...

3mb/s  ~~~~ DROOL~~~~~  :thumbsup: is there any monthly cap?  about half of DSL ISPs in canada have it (ranging from ridiculous 2GB/month to 10GB/month, upload & download combined), so i stick to the non-limited ISPs, and tell an ISP that changes to impose a limit that its the main reason for leaving them.  everyone in canada, start doing that!  if you have Sympatico, leave them (they started it) and go to Primus which has no limit and offers nationwide coverage.  together, we can stop the trend.about bandwith, most have either 1.5mb or 3mb service, but they have different prices.  i'm only paying $25/month for 1.5mb/s, and for $55, i could get 3mb/s, but i cant justify the huge price increase.  but as a bonus, my upload bandwith increased from 16kb/s to 32 kb/s with no price increase, and helps when i upload big files to my website. hey, its a start.  :thumbsup:edit:  sorry to all dial-up users reading this.  i read back this post i wrote and 'complaining' about only 10GB/month transfer, and wanting 3mb/s instead of 1.5mb/s, well, i'm sorry to all you 56k users out there.  my apologies.  :whistling:
Well Sympatico doesn't have cap anymore.Rogers wanted to implement cap but now they decided to stop it since Sympatico is not capped anymore.Rogers got lot of switching customers from Sympatico since they implemented caps.A lot of other smaller ISP's also got tons of Sympatico customers for the same reason.I noticed a trend now in Canada where they are ditching caps to get more customers which is good <_<

I am on the adelphia.net network and have ~2.5Mbps download (D/L) speeds repeatably for the past two years.But the upload (U/L) is the pathetic <256kbps cap. I think that is the part that upsets me the most!Now adelphia.net is talking like they are going to offer 5Mbps D/L and 500kbps U/L. But with an increased price. GolfProRM, what is the present U/L speeds on your system? You should really inquire about about this (or test it).While I was discussing this with adelphia.net CustomerServiceRep, I caught myself complaining to him that "500kbps U/L is just not enough"! Oh, to be so spoiled and decadent! Could you imagine? :whistling:

I think my uploads are somewhere around 386k.... (386 or 368 one of the two)... Wish it was higher, but won't complain too much when I only pay $40/mo.

I'm using TW's RR also and have noticed that my download speed has increased from 215-230KB/sec to 340KB/sec now.When I 1st noticed the increased speed a couple of weeks ago I thought it was a fluke and that I had gotten lucky. From reading this apparently not. And no letter indicating such. But I have seen ads on TV about faster TW speeds.A nice unexpected change. :whistling:

zox: good news about sympatico. it restores hope that consumers still have a say in controlling corporations thru depriving them of money, and it shows beautifully how competitive businesses are so much better for us than monopolies. still, i hate Rogers Cable. been with them, but when i got sattelite TV, they wanted to add $10/month non-cableTV fee. i cursed at them and cancelled the same day. p.s. - my ISP doesnt have 36kb/s.. its actually uploads at 36kb/s, but they call it 360kbs service. actually, same goes with downloads. why is it 1mb/s service downloads files at 100kb/s max from a website or ftp? who's screwing up the terminology?

Prelude... it's because the numbers that the ISP advertises are in Megabits not Mega (or kilo) bytes. What you record (the 36k and the 100k) are in bytes... take that number times 8 (8 bits in one byte) to get the advertised speed...

Prelude... it's because the numbers that the ISP advertises are in Megabits not Mega (or kilo) bytes.  What you record (the 36k and the 100k) are in bytes...  take that number times 8 (8 bits in one byte) to get the advertised speed...
The standard for writing about speeds is small b (mb) = megaBIT, large B (MB) = megaBYTE. This is one case where capitalization does matter...

i guess they've done that all along. like a 56 kbs modem only gets 5 KBs or so actual speed, right? (notice i used the correct capitalization? :) )

56Kbs => 7KBs
i remember the dial up days, and i never got 7KB/s downloads, unless its sending text which gets compressed automatically. it was more like 4.5 max. and it never connected at 56k, ever; best was 44 or 48k.