$100 laptop

réjean

We won't be able to buy one. But here is what they say:

What is the $100 Laptop, really?The proposed $100 machine will be a Linux-based, with a dual-mode display—both a full-color, transmissive DVD mode, and a second display option that is black and white reflective and sunlight-readable at 3X the resolution. The laptop will have a 500MHz processor and 128MB of DRAM, with 500MB of Flash memory; it will not have a hard disk, but it will have four USB ports. The laptops will have wireless broadband that, among other things, allows them to work as a mesh network; each laptop will be able to talk to its nearest neighbors, creating an ad hoc, local area network. The laptops will use innovative power (including wind-up) and will be able to do most everything except store huge amounts of data.
And if you want to have a look at it go thereP.S. I forgot to mention that in an article in Smart Computing they say that
Negroponte's non-profit One Laptop per Child association plans to have as many as 15 million units ready for shipment by the end of 2006 or early 2007, with the eventual hopes of shiping 100 million to 150 million every year.
Edited by réjean

Thanks Bruno!So we will after all be able to buy it for $200 from the article you mentionned:

UpdateSince many people have asked about this, we should mention that MIT has plans to sell the laptops to the general public at $200 a unit. According to MIT, "In parallel, OLPC is in discussion with a handful of well known large and global companies to release a commercial version circa $200 ..."Also note that Redhat is a sponsor of the project, which should answer many of your questions as to why they're not using your favourite Linux distribution. - Ed
I like the idea of using alternative energy ( in this case human ). Like around Halifax ( near where Charlie lives if I am not mistaking ) they were between 20 and 40 hours without power or let's say you are a writer going on a fishing or camping trip... The possibilities are illimited.

I am afraid the article is not very recent and accurate . . . because I did read some days after that it would NOT be for sale for the general public, no matter what price you are willing to pay.Ssssst . . . Maybe an ebay-job will get you one ?:D Bruno

LOL . . in for a nice scam ? . . . I regularly get those friendly emails from nice people in Nigeria . . . they might be able to help you if you send the right amount of money . . . do you want me to forward your email-address to them ?? LOL . . .:D Bruno

Thanks for the link Bruno!

At the same time, Quanta and the non-profit organization will explore the production of a commercial version of the laptop.
So I guess I wont have to move to either "China, India, Brazil, Argentina, Egypt, Nigeria, or Thailand" and try to pass for a 10 year-old kid. What a relief, 'cause it would have been pretty hard to do.