Netbooks the Right Way

raymac46

toshiba-mini-NB305-blue-062010-cover-lg_zpsgfodis4m.jpg

I was over at my neighbor's house yesterday helping him sort out some email troubles.

He has a new small HP laptop with an i5 and 8 GB of RAM (Windows 8.1.) He got it to replace a netbook he's had a while that was driving him nuts. The netbook - a Toshiba NB-305 - ran Windows 7 Starter like an absolute hog, especially when he loaded it up with Norton Security.

So I brought the little beast home. Checking out the specs:

• 2nd generation Intel Atom N450 that supports 64 bit software
  • Intel 3150 video
  • 2 GB DDR2 667 RAM
  • Atheros wifi.
  • 250 GB hard drive
  • Solid Toshiba build with a great keyboard and nice touchpad.

I just couldn't imagine a nicer little netbook to install Linux on. I wiped Win 7 and installed Linux Mint 17.3 Xfce. Here's how it looks now:

Screenshot_2016-01-27_11-25-44_zpsrzvblrqe.png

Everything worked great out of the box and I now have a nice little machine to take away with me on holiday.

I know netbooks are dead now thanks to Apple and Windows but if they were only made the right way at the beginning things might be different.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Very nice. That is about the same specs as my old HP Mini 110 (same processor, chipset and ram). I absolutely love the 10.1" formfactor of netbooks. The only complaint I have with it is that a lot of sites bog down the machine due to it's lack of ram. Then again, mine is from 2010....

What browser are you using with it?

Chrome. It's 64 bit so Chrome is supported.

When I go on holiday all I want to do is send the odd email and copy my photos for backup. This machine is also from 2010 I think.

My other 2 netbooks have 512 MB and 1 GB RAM so this one is really nifty in comparison.

Edited by raymac46

securitybreach

Chrome. It's 64 bit so Chrome is supported.

When I go on holiday all I want to do is send the odd email and copy my photos for backup. This machine is also from 2010 I think.

My other 2 netbooks have 512 MB and 1 GB RAM so this one is really nifty in comparison.

I was asking because it is painfully slow to browse the web on chrome, firefox, chromium and opera with only 2gb of ram. 64bit or not, sites like G+ and others that use lots of javascript will make that machine crawl....

I'll review it. Right now all I plan to do is have 1-2 tabs open and write the odd email message when away. It's not something I'd ever notice on my desktops with 16 GB of RAM - even with Windows. :teehee:

I fired up the netbook and right now I'm looking at BATL and typing this response. Google Chrome is pretty slow but usable. No typing lag.

About 850 MB in use right now and Chrome has about half of it. Many Chrome processes in play.

Raymac46 what model is the netbook? I am looking for something to take with me when I travel and has a 10 inch screen and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I have a 17 inch HP but it is bulky and heavy. I use Mint Rosa 17.3 with cinnamon on my desktops, but would use Linux Lite or Mint Mate on something like that.

Mel

Raymac46 what model is the netbook? I am looking for something to take with me when I travel and has a 10 inch screen and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. [...]

I was one of the few who liked netbooks when they were in their heyday. Still have 2 of them, an AspireOne and a Gateway Nav50. sturdy little troopers, still running. i plan to post about them in a bit. You could probably pick up one of these for under $100.

Thing is, I recommend not doing so.

Get one of the new portables that are netbooks in everything but name only. like an HP Stream.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Get one of the new portables that are netbooks in everything but name only. like an HP Stream.

Their nice and cheap but their 11.6" which is a good inch and a half larger than the old netbooks.. I was looking at them when I was thinking about getting another netbook

http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/Laptops/hp-stream-notebook

Raymac46 what model is the netbook? I am looking for something to take with me when I travel and has a 10 inch screen and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I have a 17 inch HP but it is bulky and heavy. I use Mint Rosa 17.3 with cinnamon on my desktops, but would use Linux Lite or Mint Mate on something like that.

Mel

http://www.toshiba.ca/productdetailpage.aspx?id=6454

If you can get one for free or at a very low price maybe.

Otherwise:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314802