Operation Overlord

Today is the 70th anniversary of Operation Overlord, more commonly known as D-Day (a misnomer). As used by the military, D-Day is the day on which a combat attack or operation is to be initiated. Almost 160,000 soldiers, sailors, and airmen from at least 13 countries took part in the invasion of Normandy, France. It was the largest military force launched for a single operation in the history of warfare. It was the beginning of the end of Hitler's Nazi army occupation of Europe.

Edited by mac

V.T. Eric Layton

My godfather was with the 5th Rangers on 6 June, 1944. His battalion had a very rough time of it on Omaha beach that morning. He never talked about it until just a few months before his death (at 89 in 2011). I remember him once telling me that he never did get to see Saviing Private Ryan. He couldn't get past the beach invasion scene in the beginning. It was much too realistic for him.

All gave some.

These gave ALL...

american_graves_in_normandy_425x283.jpg

I believe about 100,000 men left here to keep Hitler and his gang out of England and therefore out of here . They were treated like muck by the *locals* when the survivors got back at the end of hostilities. The gerry used to really hate it when the irish regiments came up to the front as they slipped over and nicked the gerry's gear in the night.

Here's The Chilling Letter General Eisenhower Drafted In Case The Nazis Won On D-Day

General Eisenhower had doubts in the face of a "well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened" enemy. If the invasion of Normandy failed, this is the message he would have relayed to the public.

Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that Bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone.

eisenhower-in-case-of-failure-letter.jpg

• Like 3