Cannot mount dvd in Slackware 11

sloppyslacker

sloppyslacker

It seems I cannot mount data cd's or dvd's in my dvd burner as root or normal user.

matthew@giskard:~$ dmesg | grep CDhdc: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drivehdc: ATAPI 48X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12

This is how it is referred to in fstab.

/dev/cdrom	   /mnt/cdrom	   auto		noauto,owner,ro  0   0

Trying to give you all the info you need.

matthew@giskard:~$ ls -al /dev/cdromlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 2007-02-14 13:01 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/sr0

matthew@giskard:~$ ls -al /dev/sr0brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 11, 0 1999-04-13 00:24 /dev/sr0

If it matters, this is also in my lilo.conf

append="hdc=ide-scsi"

On a side note. Should the fstab entry not be

/dev/cdrom	/mnt/cdrom	iso9660	defaults,noauto,ro,users   0   0

to mount as a normal user?

V.T. Eric Layton

Your Slack fstab entry for the CD/DVD is identical to mine... mine functions fine.Here's my entry for Debian. You could try it...

/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

Hi SlackerTry this:

# mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom

Does that mount the drive ? ;) BrunoPS: You should not mount the drive as user . . . . just do:

# groupadd burning# usermod -G burning slacker

That makes you part of the "burning" group and if you are part of the audio group as well you can burn and play CDs and DVDs

sloppyslacker

Nope.

root@giskard:/home/matthew# mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrommount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-onlymount: you must specify the filesystem type

sloppyslacker

Me and my optical drives.

/home/matthew# ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/dvdln: creating symbolic link `/dev/dvd' to `/dev/hdc': File exists

root@giskard:/home/matthew# mount /dev/dvd /mnt/cdrommount: /dev/dvd is not a valid block device

B) . . . why does this thing not want to cooperate ? ;) Okay a shot in the dark:
# ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/testcd# mount /dev/testcd /mnt/cdrom

That will give me time to go over the thread again and see if I missed something ;);) Bruno

sloppyslacker

I'm even trying to be a good kid and stay with Slackware. I never remember having so many problems with my optical drives before.

root@giskard:/home/matthew# ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/testcdroot@giskard:/home/matthew# mount /dev/testcd /mnt/cdrommount: block device /dev/testcd is write-protected, mounting read-onlymount: you must specify the filesystem type

sloppyslacker
;)
root@giskard:/home/matthew# rm /dev/testcdroot@giskard:/home/matthew# ln -sf /dev/scd0 /dev/testcdroot@giskard:/mnt/cdrom# mount /dev/testcd /mnt/cdrommount: /dev/testcd is not a valid block device

Okay let us take hard action now:Remove the "append="hdc=ide-scsi"" from the lilo.conf and run /sbin/lilo to write the new lilo to the MBR.Next reboot and do:

#  rm /dev/testcd#  ln -sf /dev/hdc /dev/testcd#  mount /dev/testcd /mnt/cdrom

Maybe you can not us the DVD to write . . . but you should be able to read now.B) Bruno

sloppyslacker

Hi Bruno,

root@giskard:/home/matthew# rm /dev/testcdroot@giskard:/home/matthew# ln -sf /dev/hdc /dev/testcdroot@giskard:/home/matthew# mount /dev/testcd /mnt/cdrommount: block device /dev/testcd is write-protected, mounting read-onlymount: you must specify the filesystem type

Ya' know, I never had this problem until I started adding the append line for scsi emulation to lilo? Am starting to read some interesting stuff concerning scsi emulation in a cdrecord howto. Okay, I'm getting ready for work and shouldn't be reading right now. ;) Will try to find the time tomorrow. ;)

Ya' know, I never had this problem until I started adding the append line for scsi emulation to lilo?
Well, you just removed that line . . . and apparently it is stil giving troubles . . . . . :'(;) Bruno

sloppyslacker
Well, you just removed that line . . . and apparently it is stil giving troubles . . . . . ;) :ph34r: Bruno
True, but where would the adventure be in something easy. For now, I may do a reinstall w/out the append line. This would give me time to do some heavy reading. ;) Thank you for all your efforts, Bruno. :w00t: Edited by sloppyslacker

sloppyslacker

NEW INFO!! :) Did a re-install without the append line hdc=ide -scsiTried to mount a dvd and found the same problems. I had always been trying to mount a dvd as that is what I backup to. For giggles I pulled out a random cd and mounted it successfully! Google, here I come........ After some much needed sleep. ;)

I had always been trying to mount a dvd as that is what I backup to. For giggles I pulled out a random cd and mounted it successfully!
:rolleyes: . . . :whistling: . . . :wacko: . . . Just to be sure Slacker . . . was the DVD you were trying to mount maybe a blank one ??B) Bruno

sloppyslacker

Not blank. You can tell by looking at the business side of it. It, and two others are corrupted though. :rolleyes: Just happens that two of those three are the ones I've been trying to mount. :whistling: Fortunately I keep multiple backups.Sorry for the bother, Bruno.

Sorry for the bother, Bruno.
No problem at all Slacker . . . . I just thought that the only thing left looking at was the hardware ;):whistling: Bruno