Runs with scissors

jbredmound

I think its the old story all over again,.If you ask me: taking in account that all these people are individuals making stuff work in their own domains, being creative with software and finding new solutions; it is an absolute miracle that they´ve come so far !The integration bit is only a question of polishing up !Linux will never be for 50% of the market, nor 30 or 20% and I personally would not even want it to. It will only lead to more mainstream and concessions to the tweakabillety of the software. Example: Globalisation makes the scale tilt strongly one particular way. I like diversity and if that comes with a price called ¨not interoperate¨ or ¨lack of common standards¨ I could not care less. I think Linux has come a long way and as long as we can get people to contribute to it, even in very small portions, even with in-common standards, this will be a long time success ! B) Bruno

Prelude76

i'm with bruno on this topic. I started out from DOS days, thru all windows versions up to XP, and now i'm tinkering with a freshly loaded SuSE installation. i think the whole idea of making everything inter-operable is what's killing windows. i mean, it would have been drastic at the time, but instead of making Windows 95 the disease it has become by forcing it to be backwards compliant with 16bit windows and DOS, they shouldve just started fully fresh. fast forward 8 years later, they finally managed to get a half decent stable OS (winXP) but at the cost of much overbloating that one wrong move can bring the system to its knees. i'd love to see a version of windows that, upon installing new programs, cross references all dependencies to prevent the windows equivalent of DLL ****. but instead of making a simple check that prevents an older DLL overwriting a newer one, WinXP just has a hidden folder with backups of all files to be fixed after a file is erased! oh, the madness!yes, Linux has major shortcomings when it comes to trying to blend all the various programs and interfaces into one easy to use system, but the way the new Distros are coming seems very impressive. over time, the weak ones will fade into oblivion, and the strongest best distros will become the norm, maybe even branching into several unique directions. this sort of development is survival of the strongest and best designed software.