Firefox 32 - a Test in Slackware

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Slackware64 14.1 runs the Firefox 24.x ESR (Extended Support Release) out of the box. In another thread here at Scot's I commented about how FF 32 looks identical to Chromium/Chrome.

Well, I found a SlackBuild script and the source for FF 32 in the Slackware Current repos. COOL! I'm compiling now...

Whew! We're burning up some CPU cycles in all four cores to compile this baby. It's been going for over 30 minutes now. It better not error out on me after all this time.

Still building...

Well, that was some compile. On this relatively fast quad core machine it took 1.5 hours to build this app from source. Wow!

Anyway, it's built and installed in my Slackware now. I'm not so sure I like it. In appearance, it's a lot like Chromium/Chrome. However, in leanness and efficiency, it's a totally different beast. Sadly, the old-fashioned extension methods in FF are a bit primitive compared to the slick Chrome Store addon process.

I set this new FF up to be quite close to my Chromium/Chrome browsers. I used the very same or similar extensions. I have the preferences set up in a similar fashion, also. There's still some work to do. I'll play around with it a bit more tomorrow, maybe.

Sadly, like I said... it looks like Chromium/Chrome, but it ain't them. Looks are deceiving.

I don't think anyone here runs Slackware other than me, but a word of advice... you'll need a bit of RAM and a fast processor to compile this from source. The slower you processor, the longer it will take. Be patient.

Away I go...

• Like 1

Australis did get me interested in using Firefox again. I currently have Firefox 32.0.1 installed in Arch. But after a few months of playing around with Firefox (and Pale Moon), I'm back to using Chromium as my main web browser. With Chromium, I need fewer extensions than I need with Firefox, I get better performance than I get with Firefox, and each distro I use has Chromium in the repos. I do like having Firefox and/or Pale Moon and/or Iceweasel available to use at times, though.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, I now have FF-32 installed on my ericsshop02-wifi system. I'm posting this from that system/browser now, actually. :)

My FF-Sync, Xmarks, and LastPass are all syncing as they are supposed to. By the way, I see that Xmarks got bought out by LastPass. I think that'll work out fine. :)

http://blog.lastpass.com/2010/12/lastpass-acquires-xmarks.html

HAHA! Oh, wow! That's old news. Never mind. ;)

I had a serious problem with Iceweasel 32 where it would occasionally stay running in the background after I closed it and used 100% of one cpu core. I had to close it with task manager. Luckily I spotted the cpu maxout on Conky. I now have IW 34 and haven't had the issue yet.

As for Chrome, it uses a lot of memory. I only use it for sites where a recent Flash is required such as my local TV stations' on-demand streaming.

V.T. Eric Layton

Funny how different hardware/operating systems act differently with the same software. I have just the opposite experiences with FF and Chromium/Chrome. For me, on my systems (main, laptop, and shop system) FF is slow and resource hungry, where as Chromium/Chrome is lean and efficient.

Myeh... it is what it is.

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, reverted to FF-24.x ESR on my main system, but left the new FF 32 on the shop system for experimentation and general tweaking/breaking, etc.

It is on my todo list. Going to try it on a seperate machine where I don't have as much fear of failure. Right know I'm testing Vector Linux VL64(based on Slackware) and

it is pretty nice. Slackware, Gentoo and Arch are the three I realy need to put on my thinking cap for and dive into.

• Like 1

OK, reverted to FF-24.x ESR on my main system

Hm. Maybe Slackware's FF-24.x ESR looks kinda like Debian Stable's Iceweasel 24.x? Sadly, Iceweasel seems faster than Australis here.

securitybreach

BTW you should check out Archlinux. It is pretty easy to install and use as everything is documented. Archlinux has one of the best wikis available on any distro and most of the stuff applies to any other distro. Gentoo used to be the defacto wiki but they ended up losing their entire database and they didn't have a backup.

Anyway since then, Arch has become one of the (if not) best linux wikis available. Here are a few links to familiarize yourself with Arch:

Arch Linux

The Arch Way

Arch compared to other distributions

Beginners Guide

General recommendations

FAQ

After following the Beginner's Guide installation entry, you will have a completely barebones setup (basically just the kernel and a few libs). You then setup your system by installing only what you want. Instead of a prebuilt environment, you start with an empty slate and set it up exactly as you wish. There is a wiki entry for pretty much any application, environment, etc. so setting up most stuff is just basically reading and following directions. Since Archlinux does not patch any applications, everything is universal as it is built just as the original developers intended instead of patching like most distros do.

I also wrote an installation tutorial a little while back here on the forum: Installing and setting up Archlinux

Everything should be correct but if there is anything that has changed or you run into an issue just ask.

I am also the owner of the Google+ Archlinux Community (23,000+ members) if you wanna check us out. The link is in my signature,

I know I sound like I am an advertisement for the distro but I have used it for about 8 years now and since you showed interest, I figure I would geek out about it B)

securitybreach

On top of that, Archlinux is a rolling release distro which means that it is forever updating instead of releasing a new version every six months or so. With Arch, you get the latest stable release of every application within a day or so of the release from the original developer. Basically you will always have the latest stable version of any application you install and you theoretically have to never reinstall as long as you update often. It is an continuously evolving distro..

Sorry to hijack the thread Eric, I got carried away. I can split it to a new topic if you wish..

V.T. Eric Layton

Vector is a very nice Slackware derivative. My favorite Slackware derivative is Zenwalk, though. It's very light and airy. Ahhhhhmmmmm... Ahhhhhhmmmm...

Pssst... just ignore the Arch Linux pusher. ;)

Sorry to hijack the thread Eric, I got carried away. I can split it to a new topic if you wish..

No splits necessary, pusher man. :hysterical:

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

No. All's well. :)

Speaking of browsers, see my recent post Chrome/Chromium Tips and Tricks in the Social Media area. Lots of good stuff there. :)

• Like 1

securitybreach

No. All's well. :)

Speaking of browsers, see my recent post Chrome/Chromium Tips and Tricks in the Social Media area. Lots of good stuff there. :)

Awesome, thanks man B)

• Like 1