Broken Glass in monitor

teacher

This is a new one for me. A window was broken behind a computer yesterday. In the process of cleaning up I shook glass out of the keyboard and the monitor. Since I do not go inside monitors, my question is:Should I be concerned? I have not plugged it back in. I do not know what the properties are of glass as to whether this is an issue, could cause a short, a fire hazard, or just about the same as dust. I think I will wait to hear from anyone before deciding anything.______________________I guess I am suppose to get away from Windows!

I would doubt that Glass shards (can't be very big if they fell inside a monitor), would be any more of an issue than regular dust. Glass an insulator (non-conductor), so it shouldn't cause any shorts....My suggestion would be to go ahead and remove the back cover (usually 4 screws) and then shake it out... no harm done there... That'd be the safest thing to do... Don't worry... the insides of the monitor won't bite you! B) (P.S. It's scary the first time, but it's not a big deal B) )

Glass is not a conductor so you shouldn't have a problem. If you invert and shake the monitor you should be able to get the glass out. I would not open the monitor as risk of shock is great.

My suggestion would be to go ahead and remove the back cover (usually 4 screws) and then shake it out...  no harm done there...  That'd be the safest thing to do...  Don't worry... the insides of the monitor won't bite you! B)  (P.S.  It's scary the first time, but it's not a big deal B)  )
Do not open up your monitor unless you are well grounded otherwise you will potentially risk electrocution. Even if the power is off and unplugged there is a high static charge built up in those components. B)

muckshifter
Don't worry... the insides of the monitor won't bite you!
On the contrary ... it can kill you.Please make sure you have unplugged the monitor for a good couple of hours before even attempting to open it. B)

Gentlemen, you are fast!You are right, they are very small. I had a student turn it upside down and shake it right afterward yesterday. I thought glass was non-conductive but I know beach glass is caused by sand and lightening so I had to put the brain in park and ask.Four screws? I guess I will go look - just to be curious. I had been told years ago that monitors still had a charge a day or two after turning off? I guess this was one of those tales????If I can survive The Penguin, I guess I can take apart a monitor. Should spark some student interest too. I have some students that only get interested when you are doing something mechanical. Thanks for the quick input!

Man... you guys are no fun! :)I've worked on monitors for over a year now, and so long as you don't remove the suction cup looking thing (Flyback), you're not very likely to get shocked... I've never received more than a small shock from a monitor (unless it's plugged in B) ). You don't even have to touch any of the boards inside... you can just grab it by the front bezel (the outside cover in the front) and shake it... You don't need to do this as the glass shouldn't cause any problems, but just my 2 cents about things B)

PeachyI don't have a grounding strap here. It has been unplugged for 17 hours at this point. It has not been turned on in days. If I watch where I touch it will I be okay?

GolfProRMI am going to go play.....If you don't hear from me in a few hours, call the paramedics!Peachy, I will be careful.I think this is a record for fast posting guys, I can't even answer without missing a few posts!

I wouldn't forsee any problems... just don't mess with the boards.. wouldn't want anything to come unhooked/unplugged and cause problems when you hook it back up... If it's been off that long, you shouldn't have too many problems... just make sure you go and touch some metal first (doorknob or something close by), to remove any charge you've built up B)

I have a multi-purpose classroom - the stove ought to work just find for metal. Any other last minute advice? Should I put it in the oven when I am done? :lol: You know, I have always wanted to do this and never had a need to. I have a whole row of broken monitors that have been unplugged for months that I could go play with - ones missing a color, etc.

muckshifter

GolfPro … I can show you the dent in the wall as I hit it from flying across the room … I still have the X-rays of my broken ribs. :lol: It was bad advice from someone who open monitors on a regular bases … shame on you. :P

GolfPro … I can show you the dent in the wall as I hit it from flying across the room … I still have the X-rays of my broken ribs.  :lol: It was bad advice from someone who open monitors on a regular bases … shame on you.  :P
Muck... I'm not saying it can't happen... I know it can... and granted I probably should have worded my response a bit differently... You do have to be careful, but the likelihood of getting shocked like you did is pretty slim... Some of it depends on how old the monitor is too... if it's only 3-4 years old (or less) they have made improvements in the charge dissipation areas... if you're talking about an older monitor, the chances are higher (still very slim), but higher...

GolfPro … I can show you the dent in the wall as I hit it from flying across the room … I still have the X-rays of my broken ribs.  :lol: It was bad advice from someone who open monitors on a regular bases … shame on you.  :P
I have to agree with muckshifter on this one. I don't doubt Ryan's monitor repair skills. What is important is the skill level. Ryan can probably do this in his sleep. There is a much greater risk of injury to someone who has never done this before and is not trained (Teacher). I personally would be reluctant to advise anyone to visit the inner confines of their monitor even though I would probably do it. I am employed as a chemist. I have my BS degree. I handle and use varrious strong acids on a daily basis and have done so for over 10 years. I have a good handle on what is going to happen if I add acids to certian materials. I am very reluctant to advise a non-chemist to add strong acids to anything for any purpose. The hazards are the same regardless but an experienced professional (or even an experienced amature - I'm all for the school of hard knocks!) is much more capable in handling the dangers.

Muckshifter - Thanks for your concern. I took the cover off, blew the dust and tiny pieces of glass out, and have the cover bak on - all before the first student walked into my room. I hope your ribs didn't hurt too much - I am sure they did. I have learned to be very careful. I did not touch anything but the plastic frame. It was fun to look though. I will keep teling my students never to open a monitor!

Thank you for your concern gentlemen.The one thing you probably did not know but GolfProRM did is that I have been playing around inside computers for over 20 years. For a non-technical type, I have learned a lot over the years and kept a lot of computers running. I knew better than to go and try to do anything within the monitor other than blowing out the glass and dust.

nlinecomputers

Juila,I just found this topic. I've repaired computers for years and worked with techs that repair monitors(I don't do it myself). You should NEVER open a monitor for any reason unless you know how to discharge the tube. That picture tube holds a VERY large charge. It can kill you even if the tube has been sitting unused on a shelf for weeks. Also someone uptopic advised you to wear a granding strap. That is INCORRECT. You DO NOT wear a grounding strap when you work on a monitor. On all other computer equipment this is correct but near a monitor a grounding strap can attract the high voltage in that tube. For static electric charges your body has high resistance and the charge is low amps so the electric current can't hurt you. For the charge in a tube it is both high voltage and high amperage. That means LOW resistance. Volts don't kill AMPS kill. Grounding straps and monitors are bad things.

Nathan... yes the tube can hold a VERY LARGE charge, but if you're not disconnecting ANYTHING (just blowing out the glass), that charge won't be a an issue :lol:

nlinecomputers

Ryan,Actually I was more concerned about the grounding strap. But it is still good advice to discharge the tube before doing anything in the case. If you have the proper tool it only takes 2 seconds to do.This link is on Mac repair but it has a good picture on how to properly build a discharge tool. http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~shamada/fullmac/rep...l#DischargeToolIt is not rocket science to build it and its ALOT safer.

I mentionned grounding, but I didn't advise Teacher to use a grounding strap; she brought that up. Nathan, you are quite correct. My advice there was a little too imprecise (bad dog....woof! woof!) :lol:

I was one of those kids that always took stuff a part to see how it worked....been like that since I was about 10 years old. I once was taking apart an old tv in the garage and literally got blown across the room. Every bit of 20 feet. Knocked my unconscious briefly and my whole right arm was numb for about 3 or 4 days. I learned at a very young age to respect electricity.And yes I also ate paint chips, lived under power lines and was dropped frequently on my head as a child.....hope that explains some things to you folks. :lol:

My biggest ploy playing with electricity. I was stationed on an Italian Air Base. Self-help removed a wall to expand the mail room. Italiians said they would come remove dangling 220 volt wires tomorrow. (They have a saying: sempre domani - always tomorrow). After six months of ducking under the wires to supervise, I very carefully disconnected one wire. Shut the whole building down! :) By the next day you could not tell there had ever been any dangling wires anywhere! The Italians would just look at me after that, shake their heads and say "Women". I guess there is more than one way to get a job done._______________Plays carefully with electricity :)

For the charge in a tube it is both high voltage and high amperage.  That means LOW resistance.  Volts don't kill AMPS kill.  Grounding straps and monitors are bad things.
I think that this is a really important point to revisit! The charge in a monitor is stored in a capacitor, and will discharge through the easiest path when contacted. You become the easiest path for electricity if you are grounded!