Morphix---> Need help installing

Raistlfiren

Hi,I am looking at trying out the Linux system. I have worked with Open Office and I believe it is on Morphix. I believe Open Office is on most Linux systems. Anyway, I was wondering if you guys could give me some information over how to download Morphix. I have read many guides over how to download the Linux system, but for some reason it is not working for me. :wacko: You can find Morphix here: http://www.morphix.org/modules/news/ . A friend of mine said to go to CD Images and download Morphix KDE. I do want to download that one.... Anyway, I have tryed to download it onto a CD and run it on my DELL Dimension 8200, but it is not working. I am routed through my old computer (Windows 98 SE), my old computer contains my CD burner and my new one doesnt. My old computer is running Iomega Easy CD Creater to burn CD's. I still can't Morphix to run on my system, it is like both of my systems are not reading the CD because they are not starting at boot up at all. Any advice on how to get Morphix running?Raistlin

nlinecomputers

I'm guessing that you downloaded an ISO file and simply copied it to a CD. That will not work. An ISO is an image file, think of it like a ZIP file that has all the files and the layout of the CD inside of it. You don't copy the iso file over. You open the ISO file in Roxio or Nero to extract the files and then burn it to CD. Iomega's cd program is really Roxio EZ-CD creator with a new face on it.This may not be the exact instructions but it should be close enough for you to figure out how to do this.http://members.home.nl/lsnoek/iso.htm#ezcdBruno's tips about ISO are here:http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=14&t=503&st=81

Wow, Morphix is awsome. Thanks for your guys help. Where is the volume for this thing, it is like my keyboard doesn't have any contrrrol over the volume anymore. How do you find out what you r password is? I just went right into Morphix without any trouble, but when I try to change the time; it does not work. You guys got any ideas?Thanks again,Raistlin

Hi RaistlinWelcome to the forum !1). I think you are looking for the "root"-password . . . . . there is no root-password yet, you have to set it first, type at the commandline in a terminal:

sudo passwd

And it will ask you for the password you want to set for root.2). For the volume: look for an app named "Kmix" in your menu3). For the KDE update: NO you do net get that update, you will need a newer version of Morphix that includes KDE 3.2 or 3.3.I do not know what version of Morphix you have but version 0.4-1 has KDE 3.1.3 . . . I think there will be an upgrade soon because this one is already one year old and often there is a cycle of 6 months.If you do not want to wait, you could try Knoppix ( LIVE ) the latest Knoppix has KDE 3.2.3 ( KDE is the window manager used by almost every distro )Hope this answers your questions . . . B) BrunoPS: If you want to register yourself as a Linux user, go here: http://counter.li.org/

Glad you found success. Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux. If you did not find your volume in KMix then try Aumix. Both should be under Multimedia or such on your menu. Take a little bit of time and explore around. You will find plenty to learna nd then when you are ready you can look at other distros or upgrading from there.

Hey can you guys give me some other good name distibutors of Linux. I have already read the thread over Distubutors that was sticky. I didn't know if there were nay other good ones on the net that are free. I am downloading Suse for for linux right. I was wondering if this is just a trial or something, because you can but the personal also. There were also two downloads on the list. http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/su...inux/index.htmlI downloaded the bottom one, am I right on doing that? Or was I supposed to download the SUSE LINUX for i386 Live-Eval? Is the very bottom one a trial or what?Raistlin

Hi RaistlfirenThe Live-eval is one that runs from CD and is only to see if you like it . . . . The personal ( you are downloading now ) in the version you install to HD . . it is a stripped version of the real release ( but this one is free ).A distro that is 100% free and will give you 3 CDs full of programs and a whole lot of programs free from their mirrors is Mandrake . . . . my opinion is that Mandrake is better suited for people that start with Linux . .. You can get the 3 ISO's here: ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man.../10.0/iso/i586/B) Bruno

Bruno, it would not let me access the Mandrake FTP's. B) Can you also explain more about what I am downloading with the 3 disc Mandrake Linux system? I also looked on Mandrakes Webpage and could not find it there. :) It looks like Suse is an .iso to. Is Suse worth downloading onto a CD? I have Morphix and Knopppix installed already onto two CD's. Thanks for your guys help,Raistlin

Hi RaistlfirenIndeed that mirror is down today . . . . I would just wait 24 hrs till it is back up again. In the mean time you can "test-run" the SuSE Live eval ( NOT the one you downloaded, but the other one on that page :D ) and maybe PCLos ( also a LIVE CD )See, there is a difference between normal distro's and LIVE CD's . . . with the LIVE CD's you do not install anything to HD so you can test without any risk as many as you like . . . . once you install a "normal" distro it changes the Master Boot Record and it puts all the files on HD, so you have to be sure that that is the distro you really want.So my advice is, try a few more LIVE CD's and if you know for sure what direction you want to go, only then start installing a "normal" distro.All the downloads, the LIVE and the "normal" CD come in the form of ISO's, that is the way Linux is distributed.The advantage of Mandrake is that it is simple to install, it makes the partitions you need for you, it is easy to run for new Linux users, and you get 3 CDs full of software free of charge.So as long as the nluug mirror is down get the SUSE LIVE-eval:http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/ft...e_eval_int.htmlAnd the PCLos Live ( based on Mandrake ):ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/mirrors/sunsi...uxos-NV-p7a.isoThat way you tested, ( with Morphix that is based on debian ) the most important ones and have a good idea what you are getting into ;):) Bruno

What is the difference between all of these Linux systems? What big programs are contained in these systems and how do they work? I heard you can learn C++ in Linux? What do you mean about the other Linux systems add info to your harddrive? I thought Linux did not do that... :/ Raistlin

Well, if you install a distro to HD sure something is written to HD . . a linux install is not much different from a Windows install . . only it is installed quicker and you do not have to install all kind of drivers after the install to get the system going. And with a Linux install you get a wealth of progs . . not just a base system.Basically all big distro's install the same progs . . for CD burning, office, multimedia, drawing, icon editors, dvd players, system monitoring etc. etc. . . the big difference is how you manipulate the configuration in GUI mode . . and on that aspect Mandrake is the easiest, that is why we recommend Mandrake to new users.Yes Linux has C and C++ compilers installed by default so you can start learning C , C++, Perl etc. etc. . . . :lol: ( The biggest part of Linux is written in C and Perl ):D Bruno

What is on the 3 discs? I mean that is a lot of programs and information. Almost 700 MB's each disc, and Knoppix and Morphix are a full linux system with only one disc. When I am running a CD in linux can I still take the CD out of the CD-ROM? What types of apps. come on Mandrake to make it so big?Raistlin

Hi Raistlin I think I was not clear . . . the Mandrake is not a LIVE cd . . . it are install CDs, you install all the 3 CDs to your Harddisk and run it from the Harddisk like you would do with Windows . . . . on the 3 CDs there is next to the base system all kind of software you would need or possibly could need to do any task you can imagine doing on a computer.See with windows you get a base system, a browser and an email prog . . . and have to add all kind of extra ( software/shareware/freeware/ ) programs you download or buy . . . . With Mandrake all is included: Firewall, Office . . well I gave you the list. That is why there are 3 CDs and even more Mandrake-specific packages on the Net . . all for free without spy or adware :lol: . . . next to the stabillity of the system one of the big reasons why we like Linux.:D Bruno

I downloaded all of the Mandrake Linux System. I saw that they said DISC 1,2, and 3. Is that the way to insert them into the drive? Also is there a certain way to download each DISC? Like Disc 1 i need to download it like an isotope and disc 2 needs to be just burned, and etc... So I can alternate discs after putting mandrake on my harddrive?Raistlin

Whish Linux system should I run Suse Personal or Live CD? What is the difference between each other except one puts some stuff on my hard drive. Is there that much difference between Live CD trial then downloading Suse personal and getting the whole thing for free?Raistlin

nlinecomputers

Live CDs are mostly just for test runs. To quickly see if it will run on your hardware. If you really want to learn Linux then INSTALL it. Runing off the CD is SLOOOW. If you've downloaded Mandrake then install it. Suse personal will NOT have all the features of Mandrake. Now if you can find a copy of Suse PROFESIONAL on 5 CDs then Suse would be worth looking at for you.

Hi Raistlin Here is some good advice: Once you are ready testing with the different Live CDs . . . . install Mandrake to HD and just concentrate on that one, it is a good distro to learn Linux. And learning to run Linux will take some time and effort . . . we are here to help you with that . . . . . but jumping from one distro to another will only make things more difficult. Most of us here have started our Linux journey with Mandrake, once we had that mastered we moved on to other distros.;) Bruno