LimeWire

hkspike

My daughter has taken it upon herself to install LimeWire (I banned Kazaa). Other than the 'minor' issue that music file sharing is theft (and most of the files are actually mine), does this software have any hidden nasties? B) Their web site claims it is spyware free. MS' beta SpyWare seems to agree that it's free.Thanks, guys!Andy

Limewire free version does have crap in it, I can't recall what it has off the top of my head and I'm not going to install it to find out. The pro version is clean, but not the free one.I believe Cydoor is one of the infections that come with it - should be able to kill off the stuff with adaware or ms antispyware

My daughter has taken it upon herself to install LimeWire (I banned Kazaa). Other than the 'minor' issue that music file sharing is theft (and most of the files are actually mine), does this software have any hidden nasties?  :hmm: Their web site claims it is spyware free. MS' beta SpyWare seems to agree that it's free.Thanks, guys!Andy

According to the following article, the current Limewire install package has no bundled software.Comparison of Unwanted Software Installed by P2P Programs by Benjamin Edelman (March 7, 2005)

My hands-on testing of LimeWire's application yielded only ads promoting the paid version of LimeWire, but no advertising for third-party products
from that article rbdietz posted -- I guess if your antispyware don't pick anything up than I would say your safe

From what I can remember there were no spy ware attached to the LimeWire Free versions...just the nag screens. I have the Pro version (25 bucks I think it was...or under its been a while) even though I haven't used it in a while.

Guest LilBambi

Just make sure you get the LATEST version ... see the following article for a nasty vulnerability in prior versions!!http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5618949...?tag=zdnn.alert

According to Emin Gun Sirer, an assistant professor of computer science, the flaw could allow an intruder to read any file on the hard drive of a person running LimeWire, whether or not it has been deliberately shared with others using the software.
And my notations about downloader trojans being found in at least the prior version's java jars here on my blog:http://bambismusings.blogspot.com/2005/03/...ound-fixed.html