IEEE 1394 Via Chipset and Windows XP

jim_smith

Hi guys,I recently purchased an IEEE 1394 PCI card for my PC from www.startech.com. This card has a VT 6303 Via chipset. The problem is that the device is detected by Windows, but is not loaded. The device manager statesthat it has found a VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller that is not working properly. There is anexclamation point on the device. I have tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it without success thru the device manager. This card is the only PCI card in the computer. I have tried moving the card to three other PCI slots with the same results. By the way, there were no drivers provided with the card. I have searched Google and found that I was not alone having this exact problem with the via chipset. However, no real solution was given apart from buying a brand name card. Even though startech's website proclaims that there card is "Guaranteed to work with any PC running Windows XP, 2000, ME or 98SE, it is easy to install and use thanks to a step-by-step instruction manual and its Plug-and-Play connectivity.", I was unable to get any kind of support from them apart from an e-mail from technical support stated that I should download the latest drivers for the card from their website which has no IEEE 1394 drivers to be found anywhere! I am out of ideas. Any help is greatly appreciated,Thanks,Jim.Motherboard: MSI KT6 DeltaProcessor: AMD Athlon XP 2400+GPU: GeForce440MX 64 MBCamcorder: Sony

Look for a manufacturer here linkageVia did not make your 1394 card. You need to find out who exactly made it and then locate them on the above URL and download their specific drivers.