Googling for info

siebkens

I read this interesting article in the Washington Post today. Available for 2 weeks, minimal registration required.

Sitting at his laptop, Chris O'Ferrell types a few words into the Google search engine and up pops a link to what appears to be a military document listing suspected Taliban and al Qaeda members, date of birth, place of birth, passport numbers and national identification numbers.Another search yields a spreadsheet of names and credit card numbers."All search engines will get you this," O'Ferrell said, pointing to files of spoils he has found on the Internet

Guest LilBambi

Yes, most interesting. Definite privacy issues and possible issues regarding identity theft and hard to turn around once the info is out there due to search engine caching.Searched on my name and ssn and it only showed geneology info on folks who were deceased that included my name but with a different first name.But those who design websites that have online databases definitely need to make proper use of the robots.txt file on these sites so crawlers can't get at the information ... or as has already been mentioned by Eric and in the article ... don't put sensitive data on the wrong side of the network fence!Google is a very powerful tool. :lol: