6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lblackwolf

lblackwolf

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:16 PM

hi, my son bought a Mac G4 at city auction, but can't get into anything because they left it with an admin password. anyone know how to bypass this?

Edited by lblackwolf, 21 June 2005 - 05:45 PM.

#2 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:51 PM

Apparently you will need an install disk in order to reset the Admin password.Here are a couple links that explain the problem:http://www.macosx.co...r-Password.htmlhttp://www.tech-reci...ac_tips712.html
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#3 OFFLINE   lblackwolf

lblackwolf

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 12:21 AM

LilBambi, on Jun 21 2005, 04:51 PM, said:

Apparently you will need an install disk in order to reset the Admin password.Here are a couple links that explain the problem:http://www.macosx.co...r-Password.htmlhttp://www.tech-reci...ac_tips712.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Fran, I haven't heard from him since I posted this so maybe the library IT people came through with the password. I'll keep these just in case though. BTW, I didn't see a pic of you in ATL, guess maybe you're another of the shy ones. See you over there, thanks again, Logan

#4 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 02:57 AM

You are very welcome. Hope they are able to provide it, but at least you know there is a way to reset it without actually having to know the existing password as long as you have an install disk.RE: Pic ... Actually, there is a picture of me in my profile....user photo to the right. There are also several pics on my blog (see sig). ;)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#5 OFFLINE   lblackwolf

lblackwolf

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 01:02 PM

LilBambi, on Jun 22 2005, 01:57 AM, said:

You are very welcome. Hope they are able to provide it, but at least you know there is a way to reset it without actually having to know the existing password as long as you have an install disk.RE: Pic ... Actually, there is a picture of me in my profile....user photo to the right. There are also several pics on my blog (see sig). :sweatingbullets:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right, and I had actually been to your pages and gone through quite a bit of it/them. Sorry, short attention span here.

#6 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:43 AM

I hear ya! Sometimes it is hard to remember all we have seen on the Internet.I just didn't think I needed to post my pic directly in ATL because there are ones available here and elsewhere.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   genaldar

genaldar

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 02:28 AM

If you do a re-install of the os (or install a newer version) make sure you use the disk utility to format the drive first.  More than once at work we've reinstalled osx on a returned machine only to realize after it was done that the old user info is still there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users