Images won't show

res

IE 6 help needed! After installing SBC DSL setup, including ZoneAlarm on my Win98 system, images on some (but not all) websites won’t display.I found that on the offending sites, If I check “view†“encodingâ€, they are all set to “Western European (ISO)†. If I select “Western European (Windows)†or “Unicode (UTF-8)†all is fine. But the setting wont stay, next time I access the same site, I have the same problem. I’ve tried “AutoSelect†checked and unchecked, no difference.Again, this is a new problem, and only affects some sites. Something in my added software must have changed a setting somewhere. Any ideas what I need to change to make the encoding options default?

Did you just install ZoneAlarm also or have you had it working with IE 6 before? Almost sounds like zonealarm is causing the blockage. Double check your zonealarm settings.

I did add ZA (free version, not a lot of control!) at the same time as the SBC ADSL package- let THAT be a learning example of why do one thing, check it, THEN do the next! - If I turn ZA off, same results. I downloaded Netscape 7.1, and the sites in question come up just fine!So it still seems that it must be an IE setting.By the way, a sample site is http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/local/77024Comes up with all images blocked in IE, but good in Netscape!?

And you can get images from other sites right?Look under in your Menu bar ----> Tools --- Internet Options ---- Advance Tab - check your checkmarks under Multimedia

In tools/multimedia, all are checked, including "show pictures."the sites which work fine seem to be very simple/homegrown sites such as this one:http://www.facingme.comwhich was done by me.I'm know too little html to tell the real difference between the way that site handles images, compared to www.weather.com for example.

Cookie setting seemed ok, but I set it all the way down to "accept all" just to check, no improvement.I compared the "view" "encoding" (as I described in the first post) of some "offending" sites against my computer at work. They are registering the same on both machines, so the problem seems to be the way IE6 here is processing "Western European (ISO)" BTW, what DOES that mean? B)

Character sets define what you see on an html page: english, german, chinese etc. Encoding is how the characters are transmitted. It's of course more complicated than that but that's the basics. The charsets (character sets) can be chosen by the page author or the browser will use it's default. Various forms of Western Euiropean are common on the Internet. Switching between charsets is handled by the browser and you shouldn't notice. If you can't see a particular charset, it maybe that it is not installed (unlikely for Western European) or it is corrupted (always possible). When you do a google search and see returns with a series of rectanglular boxes, that means the entry is in a charset you don't have and if you open the document it makes little sense. If you're interested in character sets as a topic, the w3c hasthe specs. Poke around on www.w3c.org. It's been a long time since I've dealt with 98 but isn't it recommended that you uninstall IE5.x before installing IE6? Perhaps a reinstall will solve the problem.drew

Guest LilBambi

Might want to empty IE's cache each time you make changes to advanced tab settings so IE will re-download the files for the website.I found that when I changed the setting from 'resize' images (comes stock that way and I hate that), I had to empty the cache before I could see the change.Just a thought.