wi-fi not connecgting without rj45

Razgo

hi, i bought a new wi-fi setup to network between pc and notebook.both systems win98senotebook = ibm thinkpad T22 P3 900/256 ram.pc= AMD 1.333 512ram.cable modem optusnet rj45->routercomponentswireless firewall router Netcomm NB5540 (software says it's NP5430)wireless USB LAN adapter11g wireless pcmcia card.intention is to use my laptop as the main pc.basically i can connect to pc2 and connect to the internet from the laptop. the problem is i can only do this if i connect rj45 from laptop to router. at various times i was able to connect to the router without the rj45 but then after it would just disconnect itself. from the desktop pc2 i can connect to router and internet no problems. currently on the laptop i have configured tcp/ip to specify IP 192.168.2.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0 as this seems the only way to get things working.even the manual says to connect pc into the LAN port 1. doesn't that defeat the purpose of wi-fi? or am i missing something?anyhow i just need to figure out how i can get my laptop to communicate with the router and access admin in the router webpage setup. anyone familiar with what i am saying?thanks.

Welcome, Razgo!Could you please provide us with some specific details about your setup. If you run winipcfg from Start > Run can you give us the current IP and subnet settings for each of your wired and wireless network interfaces? I suspect you may have a routing/DNS problem on the one wireless card. But we need to see what your settings are to confirm.

hi, thanks for the link. that didn't solve the prblem.here is some screen shots.also when i disconnect the rj45 from my laptop to the router my card utility software says i have a connection but i am unable to connect internet or log into my router web browser interface at 192.168.1.1user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Your wireless card (Netcom) is not on the same network as your wired card (Intel). Therefore it will never talk to your router which is on the 192.168.1.0 network. You need to change your wireless cards IP address to be part of the 192.168.1.0, for example, 192.168.1.101 would be a good choice.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, all your local computers have to be on the same 'family'192.168.1.xOR192.168.2.x They can't be on both ... and since your router is on the 192.168.1.x family you will either need to change the wireless to the 1 family or everyone else and the router to the 2 family.

ok i made the IP change to 192.168.1.101 rebooted and the software utility tells me i am connected and i can talk to the other PC. however i still can't access the router through the web interface.i can on the other PC just fine though.hmmm....

ok i have some success. i rebooted the router after changing those settings, and that enabled me to actually log into the router web browser interface this time. so i am one step closer now :D i can taste it :)anyhow i loose internet connection if i then disconnect the cable and i loose connection to the router.

With my Belkin WiFi router my only connection to the router at the 2.1 address is if I'm cable connected. When I'm connected via WiFi the address is different. 2.254 if I'm not mistaken.

Razgo,the other thing I noticed was that your wireless interface doesn't have a default gateway. You won't be able to access the Internet without that. It should be set to 192.168.1.1. Are you using DHCP on the router to give out IP addresses? It looks like you are manually assigning it, so you will need to manually set the default gateway. The DNS server should be the same as what's listed for your wired connection.

DHCP is currently set to auto obtain. how do i know my DNS? on the router DNS? in my DHCP settings in my router web browser interface there is nothings assigned.more pics"user posted imageuser posted image

203.2.75.132 would be start. You likely have another one. The DHCP server can assign it to the host. Your's are empty.

In the router setup for your DHCP server you need to add 203.2.75.132 as the DNS server. I'm guessing that's the correct IP address for your ISP. Replace the 0.0.0.0 in the DNS(Required) field with the 203.2.75.132 and click the Apply button. Then use winipcfg to release/renew the IP address. You should now see your DNS address show up. You can't browse the Internet without a DNS server. Right now, when you disconnect the wired interface and only have the wireless up, you lose Internet access because you have no way of translating the urls you type in your web browser to the actual IP address of the web site. That's what a DNS server does for you. Go take a look at the screen shots you posted for the wired interface.

before i do that, there is one flaw. my desktop pc is on wireless and can access the internet. no IP or dns is assigned to the tcp/ip protocol either.i guess what i am saying is if one wireless machine can access the router and internet with settings as they are why cant the other?

go to the other wireless machine and run winipcfg and make sure you click on the more info button. This should also report your MAC address as 00-04-F4-81-90-06 if I'm not mistaken.

yes that is correct, they now both have looking in winipcfg , gateway 192.168.1.1 and DHCP server 192.168.1.1on both pc'ssome screen shots from my card utility software on the laptop if it helps any.user posted imageuser posted image

The best way to handle Entry Level Wireless is to let it done Auto Mode. The more you play manually with settings the less you have a chance to resolve the issue.I am not sure whether your Laptop have a wrong Network setting or The PCMCIA Card is not compatible or not working correctly with the Laptop.Initially your PCMCIA was on a wrong Subnet which might indicatea disorder in the Setting that probably did not corrected it self by changing the IP manually.If the Laptop has a USB port I would take the Wireless USB from the desktop and install it, as a test, on the Laptop. Since you know that the USB is functional with this hardware it might serve as a frame of refernce.If The USB does not work on the Laptop you would have to reinstall the Network part of you Laptop. If it works then you should try another PCMCIA.P.S. Log to the support site of the PCMCIA check if there is any remarks, as well as updated drivers firmware etc.Make sure that you follow the remarks at the begining of the page in the link that I gave you above (i.e. WCZ ICF software firewall etc are off). :) :whistling:

What if on the Thinkpad, you use winipcfg to release the IP address on the Intel interface before you unplug it. Then try seeing if you can ping the other wireless machine, or even the router.

it is now working! whoohoo! i have disconnected the umbillicol cord and now wireless :)once i connected the PCMCIA card into the upper slot xp went on its merry way , even though oi tested both slots under win98se.

well i'm not sure. probably not worth worrying about now. the only strange thing i found now is that my laptop xp cant find the other pc. yet my desktop win98se pc can find and transfer both ways to my xp machine.ah well i suppose if i upgrade my desktop pc it might resolve also.