32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,509 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - IMDb - December 14, 2012 in theaters

The Original The Hobbit book made into a movie that finally should be what many Tolkien fans would be happy with (like Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings series of movies).

And yes! Peter Jackson is the Director!!!

Can't wait!

Thanks Josh for bringing this up on chat!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#2 OFFLINE   rolanaj

rolanaj

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

Can't wait! Loved the book and the Lord of the Ring books.
Registered Linux User #554733

#3 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

http://www.tgdaily.c...ks-the-mountain

We first learned about the trailer earlier this week when the studio posted a short promotional video and poster teasing the big event. Frankly, I thought it was a bit silly at first to tease a teaser. Yes, it's a strange trend born of a quickened cinema news cycle, but this trailer may have been worth it - as the footage comprises new and compelling material.
:shifty:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   mac

mac

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

Peter Jackson did a series of 8 YouTube videos on the production of The Hobbit. They're all very well done, and most, if not all, are in HD.

This is a link to the 8th video:

Mac
"Long ago, when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks,
it was called witchcraft. Today it's called golf." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

#5 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

View PostLilBambi, on 20 September 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - IMDb - December 14, 2012 in theaters

The Original The Hobbit book made into a movie that finally should be what many Tolkien fans would be happy with (like Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings series of movies).

And yes! Peter Jackson is the Director!!!

Can't wait!

Thanks Josh for bringing this up on chat!

Yeah this is a must see for me as well.  I found about it about a month ago when a friend of mine invited me to go see the latest Batman movie.  I saw the previews for it.

Peter Jackson did such a phenomenal job with the first 3... I'm eager to see how this one will be.

#6 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Board Bigwig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

am i the only one who liked The Hobbit better than any of the Lord of the Rings trilogy?

this just might be the first movie i go to see since Revenge of the Sith .
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#7 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,531 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:42 AM

i waited ~20 something years for a lotr movie - saw a couple that were comics or crap. was pleased with the latest lotr.
hopefully, the hobbit will be on par with those. -18
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,509 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

I loved The Hobbit first, and from a much younger age than the Lord of the Rings books, but better, not sure about that. I love them all so much!

I can't imagine Peter Jackson doing a poor job of The Hobbit after doing such a phenomenal job with The Lord of the Rings movies.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#9 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,531 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

yes, it is amazing (in these days) that any movie has such high production values.
and what is really amazing is that each of the 3 movies matched each other in quality and content. (of course, this was achieved by continuously shooting until all 3 were done.) these weren't your average sequals (of course, they weren't sequals at all) where 2 is worse than 1 and 3 would be crap.
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

sequals
I was going to correct your spelling but as it's your 9000th birthday I'll let it slide. ;) :D
registered Linux user number 324659  || The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageKXStudio
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#11 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,509 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

ROFL! :hysterical:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,531 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:34 AM

squal.
it was miss spelt on porpoise.
my speil checker worketh not hear.
Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,509 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

Better than squalls of course. ;)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

Squals are little furry animals that eat nuts? :D
registered Linux user number 324659  || The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D

#15 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Board Bigwig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

View PostTemmu, on 26 September 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

yes, it is amazing (in these days) that any movie has such high production values.
and what is really amazing is that each of the 3 movies matched each other in quality and content. (of course, this was achieved by continuously shooting until all 3 were done.) these weren't your average sequals (of course, they weren't sequals at all) where 2 is worse than 1 and 3 would be crap.
:hmm: 'empire strikes back' was better than 'the new hope' , 'godfather' and 'godfather II' are a push, 'alian' and 'alian II' darn close, 'wrath of khan' much better than 'the motion picture'* , 'from russia with love' better than 'dr no'.
that's all i can come up with, so yeah, i agree sequels aren't worth the effort :)

* though i would submit the first movie was more ambitious.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#16 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,531 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:08 AM

your examples ring true, however most sequals are attempts to harvest a crop the second time without planting and nourishing the field again.
Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

And usually what made that first movie special- introducing the characters, getting them to all work together to resolve the central plot, etc.- is not able to be done in a sequel. Few exceptions exist and have been cited above.

Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,531 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

have been browsing the hobbit vids - looks like peter jackson did a fine job this time around too!
Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,509 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

Personally, I would be very surprised if Peter Jackson didn't do a fine job, actually, but it is good to know he did a fine job, Temmu! Yea! Can't wait to see it!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   rolanaj

rolanaj

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Is it true that the movie is being made in three parts or did I read that wrong somewhere? I don't really like how they break a book up into parts to make more than one movie these days it just seems like a way to make more money.

#21 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

If you fly Air New Zealand you may get an unexpected treat.

#22 OFFLINE   rolanaj

rolanaj

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

Now that is rather awesome!

#23 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,509 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Worldwide Release Dates
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#24 OFFLINE   mac

mac

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

View PostLilBambi, on 11 December 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

Already have my tickets for the 3D version for the Sunday matinée. :clap:
Mac
"Long ago, when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks,
it was called witchcraft. Today it's called golf." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

#25 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,509 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

Awesome!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tolkien, peterjackson, movie, thehobbit, lotr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users