abarbarian

Well I was going to write a glowing report on AOL. I have been with them since 2004, dial-up then slow broadband an then fairly decent broadband, that is for the wilds of Cumbria.

In the main I have had trouble free service. Apart from the three week fiasco that developed after my router had been fried by lightening. The silver lining to that was a very cheap deal and a monthly rolling contract.

Recently I have had a couple of broadband losses usually for a couple of hours or so. So when the last one occured I rang AOL on their freephone number. Whilst taliking to the AOL representative me connection resumed. This of course put me in a good mood so I listened to the nice lady as she outlined a new broadband deal that was available for me. This was some impressive offer and being in a such a good mood I took up the offer detailed below. bear in mind that BT the Uk's main telephonic ripp of supplier charges £14.50 just for the line rental alone.

AOL offfer

Unlimited broadband

24/7 free UK telephone calls

24/7 free calls to 37 international destinations

voice mail

caller id

free wi-fi router

no set up fee

line rental

This comes to £16.47 a month if paid monthly. However if I pay the line rental of £114 up front for the whole year this offer will now cost me £8.70. Yep you read that right £8.70 per month. Now as I will have paid my line rental up front that means that I wil have a monthly charge to my bank of a whooooping £2.10 yes you read that right £2.10 a month.

So i took up the offer and arranged to pay the line rental forward fees on 15th March. This I did. An guess what, within half an hour of paying the line rental my phone line and broadband went down.

An is still down today.

Now I should be hopping mad but I ain't.

AOL have free phone numbers for tech support which is good and I have called them a few times for free to see what is going on from my neighbours phone, which is working by the way.Also i have called them via my mobile which I was not happy about due to the cost. I did not fancy spending pounds on mbile fees. AOL however much to my supprise took my mobile number and rang me back, so no big mobile fees.

It seems that AOL are not to blame.It appears that there has been some major fault at Kendal exchange and BT are trying to fix the fault which has left over three thousand folk without phone or broadband. Shame on BT for taking so long to fix the fault.

An a big well done to AOL for a great deal and decent service support.

So I will get back to you all when I get reconected.

That is if the snow and floods do not cause some more outages.

Trouble is I am chewing me arm of without the net and am at a loss as to what to do. :228823:

Posted from my local library.

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

Wow hope things get back to normal soon.

Well I was rather hoping that I would get a slightly faster connection if they have been doing major works. Looks like I lucked out as the connection is still as slow as stink. Good job it is cheap.

Oh an I am back on line again. :clap:

I wondered what pub you'd stumbled off to that past couple days. ;)

Yup all that loot I saved £21.70 down to £ 8.70 pm sure did quench ma thirst. :beer:

• Like 1