Missing Output Drivers, Configuration Failed

ichase

Greetings all, Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.Yesterday I decided to install Arch on the old Toshiba Satellite Laptop (which I previously installed Bodhi on....Sorry Jeff). My plan was to make this my test bed for learning bash shell scripting. Install as always went great. Installed the latest build. Performed updates and then installed Xorg.

# pacman -S xorg-server xorg-xinit xorg-utils xorg-server-utils mesa

All seemed to go well. Once installation was complete I ran Xorg-configure which resulted in configuration failed. This is the output:

[root@ichase02 ~]# Xorg-configureX org X server 1.10.3Release Date: 2011-07-08X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.39-ARCH i686Current Operating System: Linux ichase02 2.6.39-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Saturday Jul 9 15:31:04 CEST 2011 i686Kernel command line: root=/dev/sda1 roBuild Date: 09 July 2011 07:57:07 amCurrent version of pixman: 0.22.0	   [color="#FF0000"]Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org to make sure you have the latest version [/color]Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default settings, (++) from command line, (!!) informational(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.O.log" Time Sunday July 10 09:37:33 2011[b]Missing output drivers, Configuration Failed[/b]

I went to the Xorg wiki to try to see about the current version number of pixman but did not see anything useful.Checked the Xorg log file but it stated the same thing as above.Also searched google and seen some things that empasized the "Configuration Failed" but most of those were people that were updating their Xorg.This laptop has onboard Nvidia video, yesterday I tried installing the Nvidia drivers but it conflicted with another file that I did not write down. So I am sure this is not a hard fix but something definitely changed with the latest version of Xorg because I have installed Arch enough times to know I have not run into this problem up to this point.Has anyone else run into this problem lately? Thanks in advance for any guidance and or advice. ;)All the best,Ian

securitybreach

I am not really for sure but when installing nvidia it asks you to remove a package (I do not remember the name either), just choose yes and continue the installation.Also, it looks to have nothing to do with pixman, this part is the actual error:

(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.O.log" Time Sunday July 10 09:37:33 2011Missing output drivers, Configuration Failed
Your missing the driver section of your Xorg.

Josh,Thanks for the reply. I have always configured Xorg prior to installing any drivers. IE Video, evdev, synaptics etc. In the past, I would configure X which as we all know creates your Xorg.conf file. Then I would install the video driver then the other drivers. It would just configure via the VESA driver until a specific driver was installed. Worked well with both ATI and Nvidia. (Though, it continued using VESA with the ATI video card on the lappy until I removed the xorg.conf file) Will try again and see if installing the Nvidia driver first will help. I still say something has changed in regards to Xorg. Yesterday when I performed my updates on FrankenstIAN, I opted out of updating X with the new updates until I do more research. Though I should have just cloned the partition prior to performing updates then tried updating Xorg to see what would have happened.All the best,Ian

Edited by ichase

securitybreach

If you have a nvidia card, you do not need to run Xorg --configure as nvidia-xconfig does the same thing for nvidia cards. As far as Xorg, I do my updates twice a day and I have not had any issues with the Xorg update.

If you have a nvidia card, you do not need to run Xorg --configure as nvidia-xconfig does the same thing for nvidia cards. As far as Xorg, I do my updates twice a day and I have not had any issues with the Xorg update.
Well I updated FrankenstIAN last night (AFTER I cloned the partition) and all went well. Installed Nvidia this morning on the Toshiba Satalite Lappy (ichase02) before heading out to work. All seemed to go well, so will be HOPEFULLY trying to work it tonight. Was hoping to work it during the day today but the Boss is in the office. :thumbsup: All the best,Ian Edited by ichase

securitybreach
Well I updated FrankenstIAN last night (AFTER I cloned the partition) and all went well. Installed Nvidia this morning on the Toshiba Satalite Lappy (ichase02) before heading out to work. All seemed to go well, so will be HOPEFULLY trying to work it tonight. Was hoping to work it during the day today but the Boss is in the office. :thumbsup: All the best,Ian
I figured it would :thumbsup:

Well still no luck with the old Toshiba.Started from scratch with fresh install.Installed all the required X packages. Then installed the nvidia driver. ran nvidia-xconfig then rebooted.So far so good.Installed my additional drivers for evdev and synaptic touchpad.ran X -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf and recieved the following error

FATAL: Error inserting nvidia(/lib/modules/2.6.39-ARCH/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko.gz) No such device(EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module.  Please check your system's kernel log for additional error messages.(EE) Failed to load module "NVIDIA" (module-specific error, 0)(EE) No drivers availableFatal server error:No screens found

Because I am sure someone will ask, here is the output of lspci | grep VGA

VGA Compatable Controller nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 420 GO] (rev a3)

Kind of grabbing at straws right now. I was able to successfully install Bodhi on this same lappy so I know that the card is configurable. I did not have to do anything when I first installed Bodhi.Can't seem to find anything usefull in Google world.Thanks all and hope everyone is enjoying their weekend thus far. ;)All the best,Ian

Even reconfiguring xorg.conf with nvidia-xconfig results in the same error when starting x.This is a strange one. I have installed Arch quite a few times and even with out a video driver installed you can still start x. It will just default to the VESA driver.

securitybreach

So after you run nvidia-xconfig, Xorg starts fine? If so, why are trying to reconfigure X?

InstallationThe Synaptics driver is now bundled as xf86-input-synaptics, and is available in the [extra] repository:
# pacman -S xf86-input-synaptics

ConfigurationThe primary method of configuration for the touchpad is through an xorg server configuration file. After installation of xf86-input-synaptics, a default configuration file is located at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf.

Section "InputClass"	   Identifier "touchpad catchall"	   Driver "synaptics"	   MatchIsTouchpad "on"	   MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"		   Option "TapButton1" "1"		   Option "TapButton2" "2"		   Option "TapButton3" "3"EndSection

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics
You should probably just go back to Bodhi, you masochist! :lol:
Blasphemy!! B)

X won't start no matter what I do. Whether I configure X with Xorg -config, or nvidia-config. It just will not start X. I'm leaning more towards this being an issue with X than I am the nvidia driver. I'm not even at the point of synaptics being an issue yet. Sorry if my replies have been hard to understand.@Chip :lol: I installed Bodhi on one of my empty partitions on FrankenstIAN so I did not fully jump ship. B)

Edited by ichase

securitybreach

I am sure your meant nvidia-xconfig? If so I am not for sure since the that has always worked for me. Do me a favor and post the output from lspci and your /etc/X11/xorg. You can post your /etc/X11/xorg to http://www.pastebin.com and post the link here.

I am sure your meant nvidia-xconfig? If so I am not for sure since the that has always worked for me. Do me a favor and post the output from lspci and your /etc/X11/xorg. You can post your /etc/X11/xorg to http://www.pastebin.com and post the link here.
Yes, that is what I meant. ;) Typing faster then my brain. Will try to get on there this evening to provide the required output.Thanks Josh,All the best,Ian

securitybreach
Yes, that is what I meant. ;) Typing faster then my brain. Will try to get on there this evening to provide the required output.Thanks Josh,All the best,Ian
Sounds good! This seems like an odd issue considering I have never once had a problem with the Nvidia driver on Archlinux.

Well the output as far as the video card goes is this:

VGA Compatable Controller nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 420 GO] (rev a3)

securitybreach

Aha, maybe your using the wrong nvidia driver:

(GeForce2 MX, GeForce3 and GeForce4 series cards [NV11 and NV17-NV28]):
# pacman -S nvidia-96xx nvidia-96xx-utils

The nvidia{,-173xx,-96xx}-utils packages conflict with the libgl package. This is normal. pacman will ask if it should remove libgl — answer "yes".

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA#Installing

This would have been SO SIMPLE if I would have just read the wiki. :) I take it at this point I will first need to remove "nvidia" and it's dependencies before installing nvidia-96xx and nvidia-96xx-utils to prevent conflict?Thanks again Josh :)

securitybreach
This would have been SO SIMPLE if I would have just read the wiki. :) I take it at this point I will first need to remove "nvidia" and it's dependencies before installing nvidia-96xx and nvidia-96xx-utils to prevent conflict?Thanks again Josh :)
Yes, remove nvidia/nvidia-utils and then reboot to unload the modules. You could also just run:
# pacman -Rd nvidia nvidia-utils && rmmod nvidia && pacman -S nvidia-96xx nvidia-96xx-utils && depmod && modprobe nvidia

Then reboot. Either way installing the nvidia-96xx should conflict and ask you to remove the nvidia driver/nvidia-utils.BTW in case your confused, I am just running commands together using the && switch.

Thanks Josh,I am familiar with the && switch, great tool. Re-imaged the lappy with a fresh load, was just easier to do it that way. Hopefully this evening I will try to install X as well as the nVidia-96xx packages. Hopefully then, I will have this thing up and running. Oddly enough, there has not been a build on the iso site since 10 June. Normally they are updated every 3 days or so?All the best,Ian

Hope I am not being an idiot here but does the "xx" in nvidia-96xx represent a number? I read the wiki and not seeing where it does but when I execute

# pacman -S nvidia-96xx nvidia-96xx-utils

It comes back "Package not found" for both of them.

securitybreach

Frick, it looks like it is not compatible with the newer Xorg versions and we are waiting on an update from the Xorg devs but there are some workarounds:

News: nvidia-173xx and nvidia-96xx removed from [extra]2011-04-15 - Gaetan BissonThe nvidia-173xx and nvidia-96xx driver packages have been removed from our repositories as they are incompatible with newer xorg servers. This can only be fixed by an upstream update, which has not happened yet.For most video cards, the best alternative should be xf86-video-nouveau; see: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NouveauAs lower-grade options, you might also consider xf86-video-nv and xf86-video-vesa: simply remove the old nvidia driver(s), install these, and the xorg server will automatically pick the best at startup.
http://www.archlinux.org/news/nvidia-173xx...ved-from-extra/

Installed the nouveau driver, still not go. According to the wiki and looking at the log it is definitely supportive of this chipset but I don't know.Here is the Xorg.0.log file. As well as the xorg.conf file. May just put this one on the backburner for a while. :hysterical:

Edited by ichase