Word temp saved

marcos9999

If you open an Word document from an e-mail, work on it and than save it, where does Word save this document? I forgot to save as in some folder but I know Word have saved it somewhere...Thanks

I don't know about your setup. But for me, it goes in the Temporary Internet Files folder. Another plus if you didn't know that. With Office, if you open the document within the mail, save the doc and close word, The attachment in the mail is updated. But it needs to be saved. Closing the mail to get the prompt to save. Or Forward the mail to actually send it. However replying it (of course doesn't include attachment) does not save the attachment of the original message. Changes will be lost. Until it is wiped/overwritten in the Temp folder.I do that a lot at work. If someone send me an Office document that they want me to fill out and send back to them. I open it and make changes. Save file. then Forward the email back to the sender.

It depends upon your browser. Novell and Poco mail both save it in a subfolder of the program file. Click to save something else and see where it goes. :sweatingbullets:

In Windows 2000 and XP, Windows accumulates a mess of temporary files in a few hidden subfolders of your user profile. This folder is C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Local Settings\TempOr C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

6.37 Unhide All The Hidden Files and Folders (1)Did you know that even when you've selected to view hidden files and folders in >> Explorer's Tools >> Folder Options >> View Advanced settings, there are some files that still won't be displayed? These are system files and normally you'd have no reason to access, change or delete them (and doing so could cause big problems if you don't know what you're doing). But if you'd like to see everything that's there, you can make Windows treat these like regular hidden files so that the settings to view hidden files and folders will cause them to display in Explorer. You can do so by editing the registry.* First, navigate to the following registry key:HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced* In the right pane, double click the entry ShowSuperHidden. * Set the data value to 1. If you later decide you want these "super hidden" files to stay out of sight, set the data value back to 0. NOTE: But EVEN this patch does not show you the folder C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE56.38 Unhide All The Hidden Files and Folders (2)There is a bit of a gotcha! in WinXP when you do a file search. XP normally only includes registered file types when searching for files and folders. If you want to be sure that the search is for all files, registered types or not, use the following registry hack for WinXP: Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Key: SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ContentIndex Name: FilterFilesWithUnknownExtensionsType: REG_DWORD Value: 1NOTE: But EVEN this patch does not show you the folder C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
I don't think I would be in error if I said "Only the Current User Content.IE5 folder cannot be seen as if it did not exist" >> Logging in as the Administrator may help you out with this 'invisible 'folder'!
6.52 Delete Files that are "Undeletable" (3)A recent (10/2006) FREEware program, called Unlocker, provides a right-click content feature that can unlock files on the fly (for ready deletion). This is done by determining which programs have open-handles on the file being attempted to be deleted. Unlocker shows such handles and allows shutting down and/or disabling such programs from holding “handles†on selected files for deletion. http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
Since these temporary files are saved in the Temp folder without the actual name of the Word® document, you may have to go thru some exploration to figure out which one is the actual document (use the date/time stamp of the file to assist. Please come back and let us know if your problem has been resolved and how.

I think Marcos9999 means that the document arrived with an email as attachment and when he closed the document without saving it (Save/SaveAs..) and then deleted the email. Or maybe he is trying to hide an overly sensitive document from ever being found on this machine.If my previous post was a tad too wordy, there is a thing you can try (quick and dirty). First send yourself a Word® document as attachment and then do the same thing you did (as above?) and close the document but don't delete the email. Now attempt to drill down to those two special hidden folders and see if you can search for a brand new temp entry when you view details in WindowsExplorer by date created column. The file you are looking for should be named something like "~DF62E.tmp" and should be located in the C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Local Settings\Temp directory.Unfortunately, these temporary hooks by Word® are removed once the document is closed from the email. And it is pretty difficult to recover these files named *.tmp even if you do locate it.The "Save" command (as suggested by Temmu) will always take you to the My Documents folder or the last used directory/folder used for saving (as in Mozilla offerings).But I maybe wrong.

Edited by RandomBox