• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scot

Scot

Administrator

• Forum Admins
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:39 AM

I don't have many details about the upgrade that KnownHost, who we are hosted with, insists we must carry out. Apparently my Linux distro is end-of-life. I guess it is no longer being supported, which means that other systems, such as the control panel, are no longer supporting it. So out it goes and in comes the new distro. KnownHost is handling all this work for us and they say there will be a minimum of disruption and no change at all to settings. But I am standing by to check through some of that stuff. They say for example that LiteSpeed will be unaffected by this upgrade. We'll see I hope they're right. KH is right a lot of the time. So, fingers crossed. It will likely happen today possibly this morning. I think they said that we would be down for about half an hour, but that that could vary.

The way you can help is by reporting anomalies. The fastest way to do that would be to send the Webmaster account email descriptions of issues: webmaster[@]scotsnewsletter.com. You know what to do with those brackets. I may respond back with a question or two to make sure I understand what you've discovered. Thanks for your help.

-- Scot
Scot Finnie, Business & Technology Writer, Editor (that's me in the upper left corner)

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,496 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:48 AM

Thanks Scott. I am out of town this weekend but I will check in when I can via mobile.

BTW what Linux distro after we getting and what did we previously have?

Thanks again for everything
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   Scot

Scot

Administrator

• Forum Admins
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:40 PM

Actually, I was wrong. It isn't a different Linux distribution, it's a newer version of the same one. I don't remember what version of Cent OS we were on before, but were now on Cent OS 7.

The upgrade is all done.

To all: please be vigilant about problems and report them to me, even tiny ones.
Scot Finnie, Business & Technology Writer, Editor (that's me in the upper left corner)

#4 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,496 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 07:10 PM

Will do :thumbsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#5 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,700 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:28 PM

CentOS = non-commercial, opensource RedHat

It's a very good distribution of Linux.
Posted Image

Posted Image Support Slackware: https://paypal.me/volkerdi

#6 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:28 PM

didn't even realize there was a change.
CentOS is pretty good but updating to new level is not possible, you have to re-do. Not like Debian. At work we use both, the CentOS we had we kept as we also wanted to keep the RH applications and setups.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#7 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:12 PM

CentOS is great though. Feels like nothing happened. :D that would be a good thing.

Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users