Fake calls from Microsoft

SueD

I've had 3 of these calls from "Microsoft" in the past 2 weeks. Thought I'd have some fun when the last call came in last night."Hello Mrs. D., I'm calling on behalf of Microsoft""Uh-huh", I said."I'd like to discuss your Windows with you...""I like blinds on mine""Excuse me?""Blinds. I like blinds on mine. That way I can let just the right amount of light into the room and it doesn't wash out the picture on my TV.""No madam, I mean your the operating system""I'm not a doctor""Excuse me?""I'm not a doctor so I can't operate""No madam, the Windows operating system""I've also got curtains over my blinds. It frames the windows so nicely!""Mrs. D., I wish to talk to you about your computer""I use Linux...will that be a problem?"ClickSome people just have no sense of humor.

Love that. I thought I'd mention linux but I prefer your way better. Keep the idiot on the phone longer talking about windows. We have vinyl so we don't have to paint them.

Liz, I did mention Linux the first 2 calls I got but the guys both thanked me for my time then hung up. This one didn't bother to be that polite. :PThere have been 2 different calls from "Microsoft" happening here for several months...both scams. One is an offer to upgrade XP to Win7 for only $99 (obviously they want your CC number) while the other one tells you there's a potential security problem and ask to access your computer remotely.It saddens me to think how many people are getting suckered by this.

It's a shame you can't backtrace those calls and tip off the authorities.You know the people they are suckering are likely least able to afford it.

... there's a potential security...
I changed ISP last week. The new ISP has a shop nearby, so I decided to honour their premises with my presence (I wanted to change the cable modem to a model better suited for my needs and check out their mobile broadband modem dongle selection).The lady asks, "... and would you like to have 'our' security software [for Windows], the first six months will be without any charge?"Me: "No thankee Ma'am, I am using Linux only."The lady (producing a Penguin necklace from under her shirt): "A very wise choice indeed."Life has its moments. :">

Guest LilBambi
Nope. A li'l thingy... looked a lot like this one:tuotesivu071500711.jpg :' />
Cute! :thumbsup:I really like that one over at Zazzle ... all except for the price. ;(I was amazed at the number of results to a Google search on penguin tux necklace...738,000 results.

• 2 weeks later...

I, recently, have been getting phone calls from someone in India (at least it sounds like an Indian person talking) saying they are Microsoft Certified and that they are calling because I might have a virus or some kind of malware on my computer. The first couple of times, I brushed them off, telling them I don't use windows, I use linux (ubuntu actually). After a few times, I got another call saying to go to teamviewer.com (a legitimate site) to download a program. It turns out that the program is a remote desktop viewer, that will allow someone to control my computer, and it will also run on linux (they must cross reference previous attempts). So I played along. Now I used to do tech-support for 4 years, so I pretended to be as dumb as some of the folks that I used to get and had him on the line for a half hour. All the while he was trying to get me to download this teamviewer program. I said it wouldn't download, then wouldn't install, then BSOD etc. After a half hour, I almost had him in tears (I really played up the stupidity scale) and he muttered something in whatever language and hung up.

Colin, I'm just an hour east down the 401 from you. I know several people between Alexandria, Cornwall and Ottawa who've gotten these calls. They must have collected all the phone books between here and there.LOLI love how you handled him. Maybe I'll steal it for my next "victim" :">

• 1 month later...
Cluttermagnet

You just topped 'best laugh of the week', edging out the great 'Mt. Buttmore' photoshop. :clap:

I've always wanted to try this one out, by Bob and Tom
. That always cracks me up.

Cluttermagnet

Priceless, Urmas! :hysterical:

I changed ISP last week. The new ISP has a shop nearby, so I decided to honour their premises with my presence (I wanted to change the cable modem to a model better suited for my needs and check out their mobile broadband modem dongle selection).The lady asks, "... and would you like to have 'our' security software [for Windows], the first six months will be without any charge?"Me: "No thankee Ma'am, I am using Linux only."The lady (producing a Penguin necklace from under her shirt): "A very wise choice indeed."Life has its moments. :P

It's a shame you can't backtrace those calls and tip off the authorities.You know the people they are suckering are likely least able to afford it.
There are ways to trace those calls such as having the phone company setup a call tracer log on your line. There is always a way to find out who the *******s are.

Good job Sue! Next time tell em you want some solar panels to go with your fancy new windows!
Thanks! I can't believe I haven't heard from these scammers since August while everyone I know still gets at least one call per week. I never thought something like this could happen but I think I've been black listed. :hysterical:

Well, that is the desired result. I was able to get a local company (who had a shaky reputation as being very pushy) to stop calling me. I told them flat out that there was no way they would be able to chop 60% off their quoted prices. They finally agreed. LOLAdam

Thanks! I can't believe I haven't heard from these scammers since August while everyone I know still gets at least one call per week. I never thought something like this could happen but I think I've been black listed. :blink:
Oh h*llz yes, if I managed to do that, I'd wanna call up the local newspaper and brag about it ! When it comes to these telemarketers, that is a badge of honour as far as I'm concerned. ;) Edited by Tushman

Oh h*llz yes, if I managed to do that, I'd wanna call up the local newspaper and brag about it ! When it comes to these telemarketers, that is a badge of honour as far as I'm concerned. :blink:
;)