• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:07 AM

To get all the dependencies go away, we shall try and grab the needed packages individually.Make an empty folder on the Desktop or elsewhere and put all the files below in it.Start installing them one after the other in the order I listed them below.Use the command : rpm -ihv packagename.rpm for each file to be installed.While installing a file a new dependency rears it's ugly head, stop right there and first get the file it asks for : then install it. After that commence with the list.-------------------gnome-python2-extras-2.14.2-4.fc6 32 bit version:ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/6...-4.fc6.i386.rpm( direct download link ! )If for any chance it asks for the 64 bit version (which I don't think) :(gnome-python2-extras-2.14.2-4.fc6 64bit version:ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/fed...fc6.x86_64.rpm)NOTE: just FYI the 32bit version was updated to version 2.14.2-5.fc6.That's probably why the problems arose...See : http://fedoranews.org/cms/node/1956-------------------libxpcom.so (64bit) is provided by mozilla, firefox and thunderbird, and AFAIK SeaMonkey.The below package will provide it, according to my informations: these will also provide this: libxpcom_core.so()(64bit) and libgtkembedmoz.so()(64bit).http://rpm.pbone.net...x86_64.rpm.html (select download link)-------------------gecko-libs = 1.8.0.7 will be provided by this:ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/fed...-6.fc6.i386.rpmIf it needs the -devel version too, it's here:ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/fed...-6.fc6.i386.rpm-------------------gnome-python2-libegggnome-python2-gtkhtml2yelpThese three should be installable now through yum/yumex.If all goes well you should have a clean system now.Don't forget to do a 'updatedb' in the console.
Striker
still the same...

#27 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:59 PM

Bit of a "run around like headless chicken" day today, Striker. I'll be back in here late this evening. I'll boot to FC and attempt the above.Thanks again, for all the assistance! :)~Eric
Posted Image

Posted Image

#28 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:52 PM

Just hurry to grab that package from the first link. I don't know but I have a feeling it won't be there forever.Better grab it and save it. :)
Striker
still the same...

#29 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:03 PM

OK, well... I think I'm just going to give up on updating FC for now, Striker. I'm beginning to reach my "aggravation limit" with this thing. I was able to install the Firefox stuff, but the Gnome-Python stuff wouldn't install... claiming it was already installed on the system. I removed all Gnome-Python stuff from the queue. It seemed as though it was d-loading and updating after that, but then a "transaction error" popped up with about 50 more dependency issues. I don't understand why this is happening on a fresh install. I've read at some other forums and at O'Reilly that a lot of folks are pretty disgusted with FC6 and YUM. :(Maybe I'll play with it some more in a week or so. Thanks for all the help, Striker. Let's leave it be for a while.Later...~Eric
Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:14 AM

OK, gotcha. ;)
Striker
still the same...

#31 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:18 AM

Striker,I was over at the Fedora forums just now... and man! There's a whole lot of teeth gnashing and hair-pulling going on over problems with YUM and YUMEX updates. I'm going to read some more there later... too tired now.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:40 AM

Ok Eric, but like I said I'm still updating here without any problems at all. But don't forget there are masses of people who just started out with linux and stepped into fedora with both feets bare, not very wise to do. That's probably also where some of these problems come from.I'm using RH/fedora for many many years now and it's still my main OS of choice.On the other hand, like with every distro, when it doesn't like your hardware the fun is over sooner or later. Just keep us posted.
Striker
still the same...

#33 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:44 PM

I'll probably get back into FC in the next day or two, Striker. The temps here in Tampa are dropping, so no motorcycle riding for me. I'll be indoors... may as well play with Fedora, huh? B)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#34 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:04 PM

:w00t:  A reinstall with the bare minimum maybe... then yumming in the updates and next extend it from there ? :thumbsup:  Just an idea. :whistling:
Striker
still the same...

#35 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:07 PM

Yeah, I've been considering a reinstall. It wouldn't be too difficult. I have my /home on a separate partition, so I could save it. Something to think about. I'll keep ya' posted...
Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:37 AM

-- FRESH INSTALL --

OK, Striker... I did a fresh install of FC 6 tonight. I updated with Yum via the command line. All when well... 283 updates. Now I have to work on the usual new install problems... disappearing mouse, improper resolution/bad screen flicker, etc. First though, I have to search around and find out how to change run levels from the command line. I can't kill X (CTRL + F3 doesn't work in FC) to install my Nvidia drivers. I need to be in Run Level 3 to install them.Well, back to work on it again tomorrow...
Posted Image

Posted Image

#37 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:45 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Nov 21 2006, 08:37 AM, said:

-- FRESH INSTALL --

OK, Striker... I did a fresh install of FC 6 tonight. I updated with Yum via the command line. All when well... 283 updates. Now I have to work on the usual new install problems... disappearing mouse, improper resolution/bad screen flicker, etc. First though, I have to search around and find out how to change run levels from the command line. I can't kill X (CTRL + F3 doesn't work in FC) to install my Nvidia drivers. I need to be in Run Level 3 to install them.Well, back to work on it again tomorrow...
Perfect Eric, a fresh start ! That sounds like music in the ears.  :D the nvidia stuff is easy...
$ kdesu kate /etc/inittab
See this line ?
id:5:initdefault:
change it to this :
id:3:initdefault:
Next time it starts up in runlevel 3 = text mode, so from there on it's a piece of cake to install the nvidia driver. :hmm: You'll tackle this one for sure. :thumbsup:
Striker
still the same...

#38 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:48 AM

Ah... editing the inittab! As soon as I saw your first line, I remembered. I really need to take better notes. It's hard to remember all this stuff, and I sure have stuffed a bunch of stuff in my head these past 5 months too! ;)I'll get back into tomorrow, Striker. Thanks,~Eric
Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:55 AM

Posting this here so I'll remember to do it tomorrow:

To fix disappearing mouse: edit xorg.conf and add this line to the video card section:
Option "HWcursor" "false"

Posted Image

Posted Image

#40 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:28 AM

doing "init 3" as su in a terminal will take the system to runlevel 3 as well. No files to edit! ;)Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#41 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 02:48 PM

I thought so... thanks, Adam! :(
Posted Image

Posted Image

#42 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:28 PM

Alrighty... progress is being made. I have my Nvidia drivers installed and working in FC. Everything is current and updated. I'm going to begin to install my apps now. I'll keep ya' posted...
Posted Image

Posted Image

#43 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 05:17 AM

:blink:
Striker
still the same...

#44 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 02:44 PM

Need a source for some non-free apps, Striker. I'm sure you've answered this for me somewhere before, but I can't find it. :(Or should I just grab what I need from RPMFind and places like that?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#45 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:29 PM

B) http://stanton-finle...tion_notes.htmlWATCH IT !! It' s for fedora core 5 but I simply adapted all in that file to core 6. :blink: Guess what ..? All worked flawlessly.Another link I once posted are these :Personal Fedora Core 6 Installation GuideMauriat Mirandahttp://www.mjmwired....a-fc6.html#ipv6Services in Fedora Core 6Mauriat Mirandahttp://www.mjmwired....rvices-fc6.html
Striker
still the same...

#46 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:04 AM

Ah... I knew about Stanton Finley's site, but the others are new to me. COOL! I'll check them out in the next day or so. Thanks,~Eric
Posted Image

Posted Image

#47 OFFLINE   quint

quint

Linux Miner

• Forum MVP
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:52 AM

View Poststriker, on Nov 22 2006, 02:29 PM, said:

:( http://stanton-finle...tion_notes.htmlWATCH IT !! It' s for fedora core 5 but I simply adapted all in that file to core 6. B) Guess what ..? All worked flawlessly.Another link I once posted are these :Personal Fedora Core 6 Installation GuideMauriat Mirandahttp://www.mjmwired....a-fc6.html#ipv6Services in Fedora Core 6Mauriat Mirandahttp://www.mjmwired....rvices-fc6.html
Excellent ... thank you, striker. :thumbsup: (Perhaps you could do for "FC" what Adam did for "Ubuntu"?)

Edited by quint, 23 November 2006 - 11:53 AM.

~ Linux User # 314972 ~ Ubuntu User # 12930 ~

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
                -- Mark Twain

#48 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:32 PM

View Postquint, on Nov 23 2006, 10:52 AM, said:

Excellent ... thank you, striker. :hysterical: (Perhaps you could do for "FC" what Adam did for "Ubuntu"?)
YES! That would be great!  :w00t:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#49 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 04:46 PM

:hysterical: I'll see what can be done next week. I'm just back from hospital and need a few days rest, got some new medicine and have to stop using the old one. :w00t:
Striker
still the same...

#50 OFFLINE   quint

quint

Linux Miner

• Forum MVP
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:00 PM

View Poststriker, on Nov 23 2006, 03:46 PM, said:

:hysterical: I'll see what can be done next week. I'm just back from hospital and need a few days rest, got some new medicine and have to stop using the old one. :w00t:
Take your time, my friend ...

Corporal well-being before FC well-being.
All the best.
~ Linux User # 314972 ~ Ubuntu User # 12930 ~

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
                -- Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users