• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 03:53 PM

Does anybody of you use a UPS with your linux distro ?If yes, which one are you using,which software do you use with it andUSB or Serial connection.I think this could be a really interesting topic I don't have seen anybody writing about here at ATL - unless Alzheimer strikes again which would not be impossible :w00t:  .Myself I'm using one, a Belkin F6H650deUNV. The software I'm using with it is de default software delivered with it, albeit after I got deeper into it (it's from 2003 actually) and got some insight on how it should work. (which it does now BTW) I'm using the serial connection (COM1=ttyS0) with the supplied cable.Previously I tried the nut package(-s) which didn't work correctly with this new type from Belkin. I tried all things one could try to no avail, so I reverted back to the standard software delivered with the UPS.  :D I'm testing/using this one now since a week, since my previous UPS needed a battery change after two and a half years. I found the batteries for it were way too expensive! So I changed the whole UPS and I'm happy with it. In between I didn't have a UPS connected : I was still struggling with myself "which one" and just couldn't decide. Then the disaster came, power went down just one second and poof... no more power supply, and that on saturday night.  :thumbsdown:  :bye2:  :bangin:  So in the end I had to replace the PSU and the UPS. are you still there ?So come on and tell us your stories, what (if any) do you use and so on.Maybe later I'll post instructions on how to set the Belkin up and get the software running.I have it running here on the most bigger distros I mainly use.
Striker
still the same...

#2 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:13 PM

I have an APC UPS. It uses a serial cable to communicate with the PC. As far as I know, apcupsd will communicate with it and manage the power down sequence. I never configured the UPS software.:PAdam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:21 PM

a " smart" cable ?
Striker
still the same...

#4 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:01 PM

Hi StrikerI do not use an UPS . . . but if you take the Mandriva 2007 "Sunna" live CD, in the MCC under hardware there is a UPS wizard. ( "Set up UPS for power monitoring" )Now if you start the MCC using a terminal it will display/give hints what files it uses to set it up. And if you also do ( in MCC ) "Options" --> "Display logs" it gives you additional info.Usually with those 2 sets of information you can pretty well figure out what the wizard does and what changes it makes to what files.Armed with that info you can try to set up the same kind of things in other distros.:thumbsdown: Bruno

#5 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:10 PM

I know Bruno, I did that and it wanted to install nut which I let it do (for testing purposes) including all other stuff it said it needed as dependencies. But nut just can' t cope with this new one UPS, it reverses signals for low battery and on battery; And you can' t correct that in the config files for nut for this type of UPS. (maybe for others but not this type) That's why I figured out howto make the software included with the UPS "working" .I have it working on Fedora Core 5,Mandriva 2006 Free and PClos P93. Tomorrow I will have to deal with the others on the machine but I got the hang of it now and it just works. :thumbsdown:
Striker
still the same...

#6 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:14 PM

View Poststriker, on Oct 2 2006, 11:10 PM, said:

I have it working on Fedora Core 5,Mandriva 2006 Free and PClos P93. Tomorrow I will have to deal with the others on the machine but I got the hang of it now and it just works. :bangin:
Great job . . . . well done . . . excellent !!!  :thumbsdown: :bye2: Bruno

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users